Washing macine help

darren m

Any washing machine techy's out there

we,ve got a Aquariues hotpoint washer and it was brill , did everything we needed , until this morning.

went to empty it from last nights washing and its still soaking , not only that its not washed at all just filled up and i drained it manually ( ie turned dial ).

i,ve turned it on empty to see what happens , but nothing other than filling with water and clicking alot but the dial ( which usually moves as washing progresses ) does,nt move at all , i had to turn to drain to get water out.

drum inside feels ok , turns manually at least and cant hear any scraping noises .

any ideas guys

thanks

Not sure you'll get the answer your looking for on here, it's mostly men :oops: .For technical support and even help on how to work a washing maching your going to need a woman :good: .Personally i'd do a google search for womens hobby forums such as ironing cooking or cleaning and try on one of them.

Anyway goodluck

Russ

Its most probably the carbon brushes in the electric motor. They usually last about 3 years depending on useage. Very easy to do and I would go for that first. Some motors are on the top of the machine, a couple of screws at the back and slide the lid off, some are at the bottom....tip it on its side to get to the motor. The brushes just clip in/out. Look up the aquarius motor brushes on the net or fleebay. You may have to take the motor out, but its dead simple. Make sure you get the right ones for your motor/model cos they do vary. Cost about £5 to £15. You will be a hero in the household!!! Let us know how you get on. :good:

check the filters well, if they are blocked it can stop the machine and keep it full, obviously it is draining eventually but its a simple check that costs nothing, just make sure its drained before you undo or it will empty the contents on the floor

thanks chaps -- pumps working ok , cant find a filter , sure this does,nt have one ( correct me if i,m wrong )

motor sounds like its working .

drum not turning and programme not advancing , but sounds like drum/belt is still attached ( not noisey on turning )

suppose i,ll have to start stripping it down :blush:

any ideas how much a call out charge will be :yp:

As above, give your washing machine a couple of whacks and that ought to put her back on track.

Q: What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

A: Nothing, she's been told twice

Obviously, apologies to any members who are suffering the unfortunate effects and consequences of domestic violence :rolleyes:

thanks chaps -- pumps working ok , cant find a filter , sure this does,nt have one ( correct me if i,m wrong )

drum not turning and programme not advancing , but sounds like drum/belt is still attached ( not noisey on turning )

Don't be frightened to take the back off and have a look. Make sure you unplug it first. I recently changed the drum bearings on mine and its not hard. They are fairly basic things. Haynes do a washing machine repair manual that is good.

I just asked the wife when i was at home

we had everything working, or at least it sounded like it, much like you describe, we paid £75 for hotpoint to come out and they found the pump jammed with a bra wire and a 5p coin

once he removed the items the machine worked fine, but he swapped the pump anyway, to make us feel we got our monies worth

worth checking pump for debris :good:

Edited by NickP

Defo brushes!!! The contact isn't enough to turn the drum. Classic :good::good:

I'm with turbo33,classic syptoms of worn brushes.10 minute job mate.You can even buy the carbon elements and fit them into your holders.Cost approx £12-£18 depending on what type you fit,because you can get a laminated type brush thats supposed to last longer.Like turbo said there just isn't enough contact to move the drum.

Whats a washing machine???

Ok, repaired a few most parts available from flea bay but I would jut buy a new one on line get a few years use (pay by a credit card and get another years warranty free with your bank).

Can be a bitch to repair and can chuck good money after bad.