air guns

kirky640

only if your talking .177 as thats the girly cal :wub:

if this is a seriouse question though, how many people do you know would spend £300 quid on a rimfire, and a £100 for the scope? that would be a pretty expensive set up in rim fire terms.

now how many people do you know that would have the above, for bunny bashing then go out and spend 3 times that amount on an airgun and a scope, and sometimes well in excess of 1200 punds, to do exactly the same job, without the hassle of needing the land passed for FAC use as well as being able to use the rifle inside a building. Not to mention the fact that you can buy one and if your not happy with it for any reasaon you can just decide to sell it with there being no extra costs incured.

the main advantage of airguns over thier big brothers is their low cost after initial purchase, my rifle costs me £5.50 for 500 shots

So no air rifles are not just for girls (though they can use them as well as any person).

people seriously underestimate the ability of air rifles, mention an air rifle to some and they first think of a BSA meteor as thats all they have ever seen when they were younger.

ROB ;)

Edited by roblade

the only real disadvantage of air guns is thier lack of range, but even this has a up side......

your field carft must be spot on to be able to use an airgun effectivly! none of this sniping the bunnies the other side of the field from the comfort of the range rover with headphones and dvd movies to watch (yes a mate actualy does shoot like that!!!)

another thing if you can shoot well with a spring powered air rifle the chances are you will be a much better shot using any rifle, so its a cheap way of practising if your a "proper" shooter.

ROB :wub:

Airguns are very efective on squirrels, sometimes better then shotguns as you can shoot them up into trees safely, and you can shooth through tiny gaps in branches when all you see is a little eye staring at you.

They can be made deadly silent which is also usefull, and provide many hours of fun, safe plinking power in the garden on a sunny summers evening :thumbs:

I will have 3 by tomoro if all goes well when I meat Roblade. That will be a spring gun, a Co2 gun, and a PCP.

Im going to rise and take a big bite.....

No air rifles are not for girls.......But .177 is definately a gay calibre.... B) <_<

They are a tool for the job, and to be honest I would say that the air gun shooter is a better shooter than the rimmy or shotgun shooter at a given range.

Only due to the balistic facts and trajectory issues that you have to deal with. Im not saying that each dicipline doesnt have its own difficulties.

You cant shoot a rimmy or shotty in buildings, you can with a airgun, same as I can go down on my land and not have to worry about it being fac approved.

Field Craft is MORE of an issue when your on the air gun, even to the degree of fully camming yourself up in a snipers Gillie suit - some say extreme, I say it gives an edge. Once had a bunny come hopping towards me from about 80 yds away. It bounded over and sat 15 yds away.........then did the bunny dance....

But Im just a big bad girly ;) But at least you wont see me............................. :thumbs:

I like airgunning but it is a very different discipline to shotgunning. It takes more fieldcraft, as mentioned above, and if your eating your quarry it hardly leaves a mark. But the best bit is dropping a scut and it's mate not dissapearing into the undergrowth. With the shotgun it may be 30 minutes before you see another one.

Horses for courses Kirky :thumbs:

You having trouble with your Diana Gat pistol then <_<

LB

.177 is definately a gay calibre.... :)  :lol:

have you noticed your avatar lancs lad? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Indeed,,,,hes the only gay in the village you know..........and I bet he uses a .177... :lol::lol::D

Serioulsy though, no disrespect to anyone that shoots a .177. I just have big fingers and cant seem to load them well enough...... :sly:

Kirky640.

Each Gun/rifle, whatever type ,calibre, make etc has its own place in that "big box"

we call shooting.

Try dropping Ferrals in a barn with a shotty and see if you get invited back,

(providing you can still hear anyone invite you anywere)

Likewise ,try hitting a woody in a tree or from a passing flock with a rimmy and see how long you keep your FAC.

IMHO, each has its own job to do and its place in the scheme of things.

(with exeption to those B whatever chinese C**p that is lol).

Lancs Lad

"Is .177 a gay calibre"

Well i ust checked a tin of .22 pellets, Guess what?

Everyone of them has a SKIRT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!! :sly::lol::lol::lol:

Regards Sutty. :rolleyes:

(PS if anyone now feels that .177 is girly, i have a v nice 22 for sale lol :rolleyes: )

Kirky640.

Each Gun/rifle, whatever type ,calibre, make etc has its own place in that "big box"

we call shooting.

Try dropping Ferrals in a barn with a shotty and see if you get invited back,

(providing you can still hear anyone invite you anywere)

Likewise ,try hitting a woody in a tree or from a passing flock with a rimmy and see how long you keep your FAC.

IMHO, each has its own job to do and its place in the scheme of things.

(with exeption to those B whatever chinese C**p that is lol).

Lancs Lad

"Is .177 a gay calibre"

Well i ust checked a tin of .22 pellets, Guess what?

Everyone of them has a SKIRT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::D

Regards Sutty. :rolleyes:

(PS if anyone now feels that .177 is girly, i have a v nice 22 for sale lol :sly: )

:) L.M.A.O. :rolleyes:

as probbley 99% of FAC holders started with 177 or 22 air rifles they will aggree shooting your quarry is a lot harder with a 12ft lb air gun and over 40 yards is not enough power so a lot of skill is needed.i personally only ever let my 10 year old use it or i use for barns and around farms.i need to get the job done so i start shoot with rimmy and finish with 12 bore.out of all my guns i get more with 22 rimfire its deadly from 25;;85 yards :rolleyes:

anyway they are not girlie but they are a part of learning how to hunt quietly :rolleyes:

Edited by wol the hunter

I agree with wol the hunter.

An airgun is great for shooting in a barn or confined areas.

Some of my best shoots have been laying in a rat filled barn on a winters night with a 12ft lb .22 air rifle, a tin of vermin pel, red filtered lamp, laser, flask and a tin of cat food. :rolleyes:

It means that it is never the wrong time of year, day or night to go shooting.

It is also a good "In" with a farmer or smallholder.

As for cost, i paid over £1,200 for my Logun S16, Tasco scope, Bi pod, sling, case Logun lamp, Red dot laser, styrup pump, spare mag, etc. etc. This is more than i have ever paid for a rimmy or shotgun :rolleyes:

Anyone see the article in the latest BASC mag about air gunning.....let me quote for those that havent seen it

"Much of the airgun stigma can also be attributed to the requent stories, in both the national and locall press, which attach these weapons to cases of antisocial behaiour - and often quite deservedly."

It then goes on to mention that fact that some manufacturers seem hell bent on making air guns look like machine guns and space age laser guns...

Guess that the writer is a bit upset that we dont have lovely engraving of wildfowling and pheasants in the metal work. Not to mention that the majority of air gun owners are obviously a bunch of anti social idiots and yobbos.

Made me want to cancell my membership......

are air guns just for girls???

What a daft question.

Air guns are not for girls or boys.

They are for PIGEONS !! ;)

i have to admit i did post this topic to provoke discussion and a small amount of devilment, but i have to be honest and say i enjoyed reading all the posts and to see how much passion you guys have for youre sport thanks for taking time to post

cheers kirky :rolleyes: