Mackerel fishing - when?

WoodyPopper

Hi

I bought myself a cheap spinning rod recently for mackerel fishing. When's the earliest I can expect to catch any - May or June? I'm on the south coast near Southampton.

I haven't fished since one holiday as a teenager. That was a long time ago so, I'm basically a complete novice.

Thanks

My favorite memories of holidays as a youth / child were of going out of looe harbour in cornwall with my dad on 2.5 hour mackerel fishing, usually using a rod and a line of fethers :good:

Only managed to bring my self to eat mackerel once though ad from memorie I enjoyed it but the pollock that was aslo done at the same time I enjoyed more ! Never eaten it since and although it appeals at times i just cant bring myself to eat them ! :oops:

Am not a big fish eater at the best of times but I think its the idea of lots of small bones that puts me off !

Also when you stay in hotels and they are there split open and cold ! Not my idea of breakfast.

Maybe with veg and a sauce having been done in foil or something ! :hmm:

Am not a big fish eater at the best of times but I think its the idea of lots of small bones that puts me off !

Also when you stay in hotels and they are there split open and cold ! Not my idea of breakfast.

Maybe with veg and a sauce having been done in foil or something ! :hmm:

You are describing kippers, not mackeral.

Mackeral bones are far easier to remove.

My cousin has the sea basically at his doorstep and he always invites me down when there are a large shoal of mackeral in (usually July or August) and we use a silver toby from the rocks, we literally catch bucket loads and catch every cast. It is great sport on light line and tackle. I love them cooked freshly :good:

Cheers

Can't bring yourself to eat mackerel! They are delicious. Wrap them in tin foil with thinly sliced potato and/or onion, add a small **** of butter and bake for 20 mins or so. The idea of eating one caught that day is making my mouth water.

I love the fact that the internet filter wont let you write **** of butter! :lol:

It doesnt like S****horpe either :D

The BEST way to cook them is on the beach. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper and cook in a hot smoker with oak chips for 10-15 mins, delicious.

nooo...wrapped in tinfoil on the bbq on the beach with a big jug of scrumpy...some of the best memories i have from Padstow/Newquay :blush:

The BEST way to cook them is on the beach. Sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper and cook in a hot smoker with oak chips for 10-15 mins, delicious.

You are spot on with that, hot smoked mackeral can also be eaten cold with salad delicious. It is usually June before they appear in any quantity in SE Scotland with July, August and September being the peak months.

Blackpowder