Mink

Dekers

Ok, I have looked at all the headings and I really don't know where to put this ...so here goes.....

I have very little experience with the mink, but I have a site with at least 2 on it and I suspect more, can someone give me a beginners guide to getting rid please.

Cheers

Bleeh, If everyone used the search function for every question, it may as well be called 'Pigeon Watch Encyclopedia'.Surely the point of a forum is to discuss topics?

As for getting rid of the mink, a baited cage trap works well as this is effectively hunting all day & night. These can be purchased online from a number of suppliers or you can make one out of weld-mesh (which I did) it which works well for squirrels and rats too.

Ideally you need to locate the trap in an area where the mink are active, they tend to stick to the same path so look for runs in the grass, hairs caught on fences etc. If you place the trap baited with fish / eggs or meat, near one of these runs you should have some sucess.

Remember also that it is a legal requirement to check the trap every 24 hours.

If you wish to shoot them instead, they seem to be most active at dawn, so try waiting in range of a well used run and stay alert. They can be quite large so 5 or even 4 shot is best on them if using a shotgun.

Hope this helps.

Give your local 'Rivers Authority' a bell.When we had a mink problem locally the RA got in touch with BASC who got in touch with us to see if we would help.The RA supplied floating platforms for us to anchor mid-stream.As soon as mink prints were identified on the rafts we set traps.The RA supplied everything we needed,we supplied the man-power.

Give your local 'Rivers Authority' a bell.When we had a mink problem locally the RA got in touch with BASC who got in touch with us to see if we would help.The RA supplied floating platforms for us to anchor mid-stream.As soon as mink prints were identified on the rafts we set traps.The RA supplied everything we needed,we supplied the man-power.

:good::good::good:

Got to be worth a try!

There is a decent size stream/brook that runs through this site with some cracking Chub etc etc.

The owner has reported two of the little ******* running about having the time of their life, I've not seen any yet and I don't have a lot of dealings with mink.

Cheers! :good:

I took my daughter 'adventuring' on Saturday afternoon. It usually involves a wander along the river bank and a small camp fire and a sandwich. While she was collecting leaves and twigs I sat with my binoculars looking across the water to see if I could see any evidence of life (hard on the Irwell). Raised them to my eyes and came immediately to a gap in the wall on the opposite bank and saw the largest mink ever. Size of a ruddy otter and sat chewing on some native species or another.

I can’t shoot on this stretch so I may need to hide a trap. If the local kids can leave it alone I should have a coat by November…… :good:

Anyone got any plans for one or are they just like the sprung door type.

I took my daughter 'adventuring' on Saturday afternoon. It usually involves a wander along the river bank and a small camp fire and a sandwich. While she was collecting leaves and twigs I sat with my binoculars looking across the water to see if I could see any evidence of life (hard on the Irwell). Raised them to my eyes and came immediately to a gap in the wall on the opposite bank and saw the largest mink ever. Size of a ruddy otter and sat chewing on some native species or another.

I cant shoot on this stretch so I may need to hide a trap. If the local kids can leave it alone I should have a coat by November…… :good:

The one I made is just a sprung door, set off by a pedal at the rear of the cage. Its just a scaled up squirrel trap really.

Edited by henry c

I can’t shoot on this stretch so I may need to hide a trap. If the local kids can leave it alone I should have a coat by November…… :good:

If you've got a Red squirrel ranger locally,you could try borrowing a squirrel trap off him.We got given some buy our local ranger for greys,but all we ever managed to catch were pheasants!No reason why they won't work for mink though as henry c has mentioned.This way if you catch something you don't need to kill,you can release it.Fenn traps are indiscriminate.