17. HMR difference

Ferretboy111

I used to love their old little shop in Halesowen. Then they moved shop to a bloody big sports shop on the Hagley road, which was a complete waste of time due to the cost of running the place. Webley was the ideal place for Venom, although now Ivan Hancock has retired ;) I am a little sceptical about their standard of work.

G.M.

Hi,

I have a 17hmr CZ Varmint model, which has the heavy barrel, and a matt finish on the action.

My dealer has a 17hmr CZ American model in at the moment, with the sporter barrel and a nice blued action. Both have 'American' marked the left side of the action though. ;)

Apart from the barrels, the difference is the stocks: the American has a better looking stock, deeper chequering on the grip and it also has a chequered forend. I think the forend is slightly shorter too.

Hope this helps.

John :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmm,

CZ have a darstadly marketing plan - confuse the shooters and get them to talk about all the differences.

My rifle - .17hmr - is the bottom pictured (no chequering up front and a blunter finish to the forend) - heavy barrel - but stamped "American" - so it's an American right ???!!!

No bluing on the action and matt finish.

AndyCM - more confused than a newbie :*)

Mmmmmmm,

CZ have a darstadly marketing plan - confuse the shooters and get them to talk about all the differences.

My rifle - .17hmr - is the bottom pictured (no chequering up front and a blunter finish to the forend) - heavy barrel - but stamped "American" - so it's an American right :)!!!

No bluing on the action and matt finish.

AndyCM - more confused than a newbie :*)

same here mines the same, heavy barreled known as Varmint but printed American :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

ferretboy111.

Go for the Varmint .17hmr. The hogs back shape of the American stock looks naff and the shape of the barrel also looks naff, the straight lines of the varmints barrel really do look good

The lug that is being talked about refers to the extra screw that attaches the barrel to the stock, 2 in the American and 1 in the Varmint, plus each have a screw behind the trigger that attaches to a fixing that is dovetailed into the back of the action.

The only thing i would say against the Varmint is that it can get a bit heavy if you are intending doing a lot of walking with it. If you will be shooting from a vehicle or setting up an ambush it will be no problem.

One last thing, if you can afford an Anschutz go for one of those, accuracy is about the same but the finish is so much better.

ferretboy111.

Go for the Varmint .17hmr. The hogs back shape of the American stock looks naff and the shape of the barrel also looks naff, the straight lines of the varmints barrel really do look good

i think you are mistaking the style and classic for the american, the american looks almost the same as the varmint, it just has chequering on the forend, a slightly lighter profile barrel with better blueing than the varmint, and a properly polished blue action instead of the bead blasted blue which is on the varmint action.

Welll its now been a month since i sent away for an FAC and still no reply, i have the money for everything i dare say ill get the varmint if i get accepted just because most of my shooting will be done from the pickup and i dont have enough to get the anschutz. I just want to get out and get started but i suppose ill just have to wait.

Alex