Thomas Turners

Hi everyone, joined the forum a few years back and have only now come back to start posting.

I started working for Thomas Turners about 2 years ago, and have a feeling that there may be a bad reputation for the shop.

Just wanted to hear peoples opinions who have dealt with us, good or bad please reply.

Many thanks.

Luke.

The half empty gun rack, the fact that the only person who knew what he was doing and had some respect for the customer (Richard), was sacked about 3-4 years ago, the fact, if we haven't got it ordering is a pain, and the general fact TT doesn't stock what people want.

It's pretty simple, shape up or shut up.

I'm all for supporting my local dealer, and I AM prepared to pay that little bit more to do it, but I have no interest in propping up a business who just drifts along and isn't prepared to join the 21 Century!

The half empty gun rack, the fact that the only person who knew what he was doing and had some respect for the customer (Richard), was sacked about 3-4 years ago, the fact, if we haven't got it ordering is a pain, and the general fact TT doesn't stock what people want.

It's pretty simple, shape up or shut up.

I'm all for supporting my local dealer, and I AM prepared to pay that little bit more to do it, but I have no interest in propping up a business who just drifts along and isn't prepared to join the 21 Century!

With respect, Richard left on his own terms. It's very hard on business at the moment due to the recession, and to keep the gun racks full is something that at present is financially impossible to achieve. I'm fairly new to the shop and the shooting trade in general, and I'm still learning as I go.

What sort of shooting do you do? and what sort of stock would you like to see in Turners?

If something needs to be ordered, it shouldn't be hassle because most items will arrive within 48 hours.

We do want to improve things, we will be competitive on prices and so if you see a price in the shop we'll always do a deal. I'm sorry you've had negative experiences in the past, but people like you are what we need to improve ourselves...good honest opinions.

Many thanks.

The problem you have is first impressions, pricing stuff so you can do a deal immediately puts me off. Price competitively and you may be surprised at the result, what you have to remember is everyone through the door matters and bad reports spread fast in the shooting world. Knowing what you are talking about matters more than stock levels, the other thing that matters more than range is price. In your situation I'd be looking at trying to stock less range wise but buy what you buy at a high enough volume to get a decent discount so you can pass that onto customers. The other thing worth doing is trying to harvest customers e-mail addresses so you can co ordinate bulk orders with marketing them.

For instance a decent game / pigeon cartridge offered a few times a year reasonably cheap will tempt an awful lot of people. Looking at your website prices look good as long as you have everything in stock and can despatch fast business should grow. Its all about cost service and marketing, if you look at one of the shoddiest mail order gunshops the sportsman they have more business coming through the web than they can deal with, they sell first and seem to order in after the orders are received and it is an awful way to trade. Compare that to John Norris where you place an order and it is with you the next day and there is no comparison. Its hard trading out there its why you have to keep working hard at it to succeed

Turners' pricing has always been ridiculous, deal can be done but it's a pain to do so.

Simply put, if you can't afford to carry stock then don't bother to be in business. Gun shops are a place where stock is key - if I have a variation come through and I want a rifle NOW, then I will go and buy one. If you haven't got one, then I will do somewhere else. given that Turners NEVER carry any stock, then I automatically go somewhere else first.

Ergo - stock is king, at a sensible price. If it's not selling quick enough then change the price. I guarantee that if you keep margin low enough to price competitive, and advertise well on guntrader, you'll sell guns.

It's pretty standard business - have the right stock, at the right price, with the right service and people will buy. If you have poor service, high prices, or nothing to buy, then you won't sell anything.

Therefore, my earlier comment is key - if you can't carry stock, then either do online-only, or just shut up shop.

I have never been into T.Turners,I have heard of them though through some tasty papercase cartridges dished out on a driven day.

As a retailer though it is simple,you need footfall,why should/would people come to your shop?Shooters like going to gunshops,men are like kids in a sweet shop,we want to come into shops and when we do we can't help but buy stuff(I am talking as a man not being sexist),so you need stock.You need the bread and butter,ie browning/beretta and a turnover of good secondhand guns.I cannot think of many gunshops near Reading,so why does your local shooting community not come in your shop?Can you park?What do you do well?Do you have a gunsmith onsite for servicing/repairs?

The regular purchase items ie footfall is of course cartridges,but I only go where I can park/nip in as a slab under the arm via a multi storey is'nt appealing.Cartridges are such a commodity that they lend themselves to convenience/online.If you have premium brand/own cartridges do something different ie FREE local delivery on orders over £xx?I would not however buy quality clothing/guns without seeing/holding/face to face..If you cannot afford to stock these items then I am sorry but your shop is not viable as a shop.

The question to ask yourself as a shopkeeper is why would people come into my shop?I would suggest the answer must be Stock,Convenience and service..and probably in that order.If you have no stock(or limited)why would I want to come to your shop?

All meant as constructive,

ATB.

I don't live anywhere near Reading and would be unlikely to come to this gunshop but, blow me down, this thread is very refreshing !

Good for you XdunstanX coming on here & asking what shooters want. I am sure you will listen and act, and wish you every success in these troubled times.

This is my local shop (to work anyway) and I've been contemplating a pop down during lunchtime to see whats on offer - I still will, it is refreshing to see someone come on here and put their head above the parapet despite what seems to be some negative impressions. I'll make my own judgement on that.

With my business head on - I think you need a decent recovery story, what has changed, what will change - and by when. Coupled with some good news for people - special offers (as mentioned above) and a grass roots campaign with locals, regulars and people you can draw to the shop.

With respect, Richard left on his own terms. It's very hard on business at the moment due to the recession, and to keep the gun racks full is something that at present is financially impossible to achieve. I'm fairly new to the shop and the shooting trade in general, and I'm still learning as I go.

What sort of shooting do you do? and what sort of stock would you like to see in Turners?

If something needs to be ordered, it shouldn't be hassle because most items will arrive within 48 hours.

We do want to improve things, we will be competitive on prices and so if you see a price in the shop we'll always do a deal. I'm sorry you've had negative experiences in the past, but people like you are what we need to improve ourselves...good honest opinions.

Many thanks.

I presume you have had Richards departure reasons from those in the store, as he left before you joined, I have reasonable detail, which I have no reason to dispute, from the horses mouth, Richard.... a situation developed! Perhaps the reality is somewhere between the two.

Nevertheless, the last manager WAS sacked, and deserved to be, he was an arrogant idiot out to feather his own nest!

Peter is a decent guy, all be it a little :exclamation:, and from what I remember of you, you are keen and helpful, and I suspect a lot more knowledgeable than when I last bothered to come in (I mean that in a positive rather than negative way)!

I am what is jovially referred to as a Professional, but I also shoot for pleasure and I am Secretary of a Home Office Approved club at Bisley!

I run Air Rifles, inc FAC Air, 22lr, .17HMR, .22WMR, .223, .243, .308 and a few 12g.

Tell me this, AA FIELD, do you have any in 5.51, that's what I need, you only ever used to have 5.52!? (because thats what they sent you), I used to get the impression it was a chore to ask AA for 5.51!

.22WMR and HMR, your selection was abysmal, what do you have now, any Hornady 17g Blue, if not WHY NOT??

Why don't you carry PRVI ammo?

Why is it that EVERY Monday evening when I drive past the gun racks are full of gaps, that looks like a store going down the pan?

I could go on but, this is free consultancy, if you want full recovery advice then TT can pay for it at my normal rates.

It really p***** me off TT is such a load of doings, the name is (was) great and the store SHOULD be great, but it stinks, I simply can't be bothered, I don't remember the last time I walked in and walked out with what I wanted.

.....and as I think you are aware, that is not just my opinion, I can't remember the last time I heard a positive account of TT from anyone!

Credit to you for asking, as they say, the journey of a 1000 miles starts with a single step, and TT have a long journey ahead of them!

Edited by Dekers

As has been said, well done for sticking your head up to ask for feedback.

They used to stock 6.5x55 Federals, but it seemed when I was buying them I was if fact buying ammo that had been stocked for one of your other customers, when he no longer needed them they weren't stocked. I asked if they could get some and even before I quoted a price there was an apology for how expensive they would be.

It may be the future of these shops is to form a cooperative with others to increase buying power?

As Dekers has said, for factory try stocking (or getting) cheaper rounds Prvi, American Eagles, IMI etc.

If I were Peter I would ask my brother for some business tips, he seems to have done pretty well for himself, it can't all be luck ;)

• 1 month later...

Held off for a while before mentioning anything, but the shop is closing down unless someone buys it. It's currently on the market.

Just what I needed, redundancy.

Just so people know, both of us here put forward suggestions made to us by customers past and present to try and fix the shop, but all fell on deaf ears, so there's nothing else that could've been done.

Luke.

Held off for a while before mentioning anything, but the shop is closing down unless someone buys it. It's currently on the market.

Just what I needed, redundancy.

Just so people know, both of us here put forward suggestions made to us by customers past and present to try and fix the shop, but all fell on deaf ears, so there's nothing else that could've been done.

Luke.

**** Me.....

That is not good to hear regardless....

Sorry to hear that Luke.

Turners is local to me, but when using them in the past I have found them not particularly helpful, but pretty expensive and have travelled a little further afield to make my purchases.

Perhaps under new management it might be possible to turn it round and make it successful.

Regarding the sale of the business, who is it on the market with? I have tried googling it to find out but no luck.

It is a shame to hear of your redundacy, however it comes as no supprise it is closing down. Despite being my local gun shop I have only been in twice. As previously stated the prices were rediculous, 3" .410 was £8.70 a box!!! last time I was in (about a year ago) they also wanted £50 off me just to recieve a gun sent from another RFD, not supprisingly I went elsewhere. I also found the staff arrogant and not very customer focused, easier and kinder on the pocket to go elsewhere, despite travelling further.

As the only gunshop in Reading, they should of been raking it in but they simply priced themselves out of the market.

It is a shame to hear of your redundacy, however it comes as no supprise it is closing down. Despite being my local gun shop I have only been in twice. As previously stated the prices were rediculous, 3" .410 was £8.70 a box!!! last time I was in (about a year ago) they also wanted £50 off me just to recieve a gun sent from another RFD, not supprisingly I went elsewhere. I also found the staff arrogant and not very customer focused, easier and kinder on the pocket to go elsewhere, despite travelling further.

As the only gunshop in Reading, they should of been raking it in but they simply priced themselves out of the market.

When you're in a position where you can't do anything to turn the shop around, while seeing such potential it's dis-heartening. As for arrogance, I'm still fairly new to the sport so picking up knowledge as I go, and I'm not afraid to admit that most of the people I serve may very well know more than me. It's depressing working here because it's so quiet, and it is so quiet because of all the previous complaints that have been mentioned in this thread.

As for prices, we are very expensive. Something that we wanted to change but we got snuffed out when ever we tried to make changes.