Rifle grouping

What do you demand from a rifle  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Acceptable group size at 100 yards

• 4"
    • 2"
    • 1"
    • Or smaller

Seeing as the .243 ammo thread has been completely derailed its interesting to see some will accept lesser levels of accuracy. Personally if I couldn't shoot less than an inch off bags or bipod I would wonder what was wrong and certainly wouldn't use it on live quarry. This is as I would feel there was something wrong with the set up but what are people happy with?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1" or Less off of bag and bipod but in real world hunting free hand 3" would be fine with me. Dave

my thinking is if you are happy with 3 or even 4" off a bipod / bags what on earth are groups like off sticks or as you say free hand

With my 17HMR I expect to get sub 20mm groups all the time and if I don't then I know that the scopes have had a hard knock and need resetting or I am having an off day and need to sort myself out! With my .342 on a good day I can shoot a 1 inch group without too much trouble but where foxing is concerned I am content with a sub 2 inch group for foxes as I rarely shoot them at over 150 yards and as long as it is a chest shot at that range they are going down. This is off the bonnet of my 4X4 using a bipod as I have never used bags to shoot off!

I do practice regularly as I believe that is the way to improve and we should all strive to do better. My deer shooting mentor wants to see me hitting a golf ball regularly at 100 yards so I regularly practice using standard sized hens eggs (I love scrambled eggs).

For your DSC1 you are expected to shoot a 4 inch group but in the real world where you are taking on live quarry I would not be happy if I could not achieve a sub 2 inch group with a .243 at 100 yards for either deer or fox!

What sort of accuracy from a single shot would you expect at 100yds standing and supporting the rifle only with your left/right arm ?

Is anyone shooting unsupported at anything other than rabbits at closeish range? (sub 80 yds) I know scopes will make a difference but we all wobble !!

my thinking is if you are happy with 3 or even 4" off a bipod / bags what on earth are groups like off sticks or as you say free hand

not sure exactly what your saying. If you Actually read my post it states that using aids such as bipod or sandbags I can easily achieve 1" or in most cases 1/4" groups. However freehand on foot with no aids I'm happy with 3" groups standing up and 2" prone.

not sure exactly what your saying. If you Actually read my post it states that using aids such as bipod or sandbags I can easily achieve 1" or in most cases 1/4" groups. However freehand on foot with no aids I'm happy with 3" groups standing up and 2" prone.

it wasn't a dig at your post at all, it was my thinking is the same if you can't shoot a decent group from bags etc which you can then what happens when as you say you go freehand or off sticks its going to equate to huge groups

I am happy with an inch group, I have a slight shake ( very slight) for which I take meds for, somedays I can shoot alot tighter than that, but I will always struggle to shoot tighter consistently so an inch is my average.

Anything more than an inch I would be concerned & not happy.

His thinking is pretty clear..

If you (not you personally) can only shoot at best a 3-4 inch group off bipod / bag - then what sort of group can you expect off sticks? 8-10 ?

Read it again, slooowly if it helps - he never said that :oops:

Try this:

"in real world hunting free hand 3" would be fine with me"

Re my previous post I only shoot at rabbits unsupported (no rest) at sub 80 yds and mostly go for a thorax shot and in 98% of cases kill instantly.

Dont shoot at foxes except off a home made tripod (heavy varmint rifle), this gives the capability to shoot sub inch groups at up to 150yds. Last 2 foxes shot with this method by different shooters included -chest shot at 130 yds approx an eighth of an inch off target, the second a fox at 125 yds was a eighth of an inch low and and an eighth left - instant kill as the target was the centre of the eye line. I have shot a friends .308 and managed a group of 2" at 100 yds unsupported but the gun was a good un. I dont think this accuracy is much different to everyone else but there will be a lot better, as I dont find breath control too easy.

Cheers

This thread is useless without photos!!!!

Come on.... don't be shy...

6.5x55 from 100m, .308 100yds both off bipods.

post-21717-0-07386500-1302254493.jpg

This is my .308 TRG a couple of weeks ago in a tunnel range so no atmospherics to worry about. That was actually 5 rounds.

post-21717-0-71038100-1302254556.jpg

This was my 6.5x55se Tikka T3 lite (OOTB) yesterday down at the farm, very windy but it was almost a head wind so didn't have too much effect.

Had to do my FC shooting skills test earlier in the week and shots off stick together with a touch of nerves pushed the groups out to about 3.5" kneeling and standing!!! (didn't help that I couldn't find my sticks anywhere and I had to borrow some I wasn't used to) but... at the end of the day, all shots fell within the required area and they would have all resulted in very dead deer!

I have a Predator 8 mod on the 6.5 which is very heavy and throws the rifle comletely off balance.. I was toying with the idea of just not bothering with it so whipped it off and squirted 3 rounds through her and was gob smacked when this happened......

post-21717-0-99760900-1302255505.jpg

And she kicked like a biatch... so the mod went back on!!! :lol:

Edited by Vipa

Had to do my FC shooting skills test earlier in the week and shots off stick together with a touch of nerves pushed the groups out to about 3.5" kneeling and standing!!! (didn't help that I couldn't find my sticks anywhere and I had to borrow some I wasn't used to) but... at the end of the day, all shots fell within the required area and they would have all resulted in very dead deer!

Which is exactly the point I been making on all of these threads, 0.0000001" groups are useless for hunting if you can't do your bit in real life situations. I am now retiring from typing this as I am getting bored of reading it myself ;)

As nickbeardo said the stalkers ten shot test is a proper field shooting test, not of a bipod/bag/oxygen tent etc etc

I am happy with an inch group, I have a slight shake ( very slight) for which I take meds for, somedays I can shoot alot tighter than that, but I will always struggle to shoot tighter consistently so an inch is my average.

Anything more than an inch I would be concerned & not happy.

Cider!?

the point is though Dunkield if your rifle won't shoot a decent group under ideal conditions what chance do you have in field conditions.

If as the scottish bods keep mentioning all a stalker has to do is hit a 4" target from a bench / bipod what happens to accuracy off sticks etc. We can see that rifles that shoot straight on here seem to open up a fair bit when you add in field conditions but if you have a rifle that doesn't group generally what is it going to do under field conditions. I'm not that fussy and if its sub inch I'm happy and won't bother looking for more but it amazes me talk of 2" or 3" when zeroing and people are happy.

This thread is useless without photos!!!!

Come on.... don't be shy...

How about this then, factory rifle, cheap factory ammo.

100 yards, 2 prone, 2 sitting, 2 kneeling, 2 standing, 2 off the bench (no bipod just elbows)

Score 99/100

7/10 shots in the V bull if you want to call it that

Is that any good?

static deer.jpg

How about this then, factory rifle, cheap factory ammo.

100 yards, 2 prone, 2 sitting, 2 kneeling, 2 standing, 2 off the bench (no bipod just elbows)

Score 99/100

7/10 shots in the V bull if you want to call it that

Is that any good?

bowdown.gif

Impressive to say the least Dunk... Practical rifle comp?

Edited by Vipa

the point is though Dunkield if your rifle won't shoot a decent group under ideal conditions what chance do you have in field conditions.

If as the scottish bods keep mentioning all a stalker has to do is hit a 4" target from a bench / bipod what happens to accuracy off sticks etc. We can see that rifles that shoot straight on here seem to open up a fair bit when you add in field conditions but if you have a rifle that doesn't group generally what is it going to do under field conditions. I'm not that fussy and if its sub inch I'm happy and won't bother looking for more but it amazes me talk of 2" or 3" when zeroing and people are happy.

The FC test you have to get signed off on is the same as DSC 1... 3 prone or benched and rested @ 100m, 2 standing @ 30m, 2 kneeling or sitting @ 50m. all shots to land inside a 4" target area, group size is irrelevant.