• 1"
    • Or smaller

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Impressive to say the least Dunk... Practical rifle comp?

No it's the BSRC static deer test, BASC hire the range 4 days and year so their members can have a go, at static and running targets at50 and 100 yards.

They are the only range days I do, as I get bored paper punching, and if I am honest I am no good at it :blush:

And I have no idea what that rifle/ammo combo will do off a bag, I change my zero from homeloads to American Eagles for the day so shoot few just to click onto those before the day starts.

I want 1 inch groups at (inch hi ) 100 but i now zero flat at 200 with the 243 and so far get 1 1/2 group with 3 shots at the 200 mark the pic is inch hi 100 and am happy with that. Strange thing is when i do paper punch (its not often) i always seem to get one mad shot about 3 inches adrift in a box fired :blink:

not missed in a while so all is well i always shoot off a truck or quad rail not freehand

I want a clean kill and shoot within my range as taught me by mentor :good:

post-1500-0-80399000-1302256338.jpg

Edited by pavman

Seeing as the .243 ammo thread has been completely derailed its interesting to see some will accept lesser levels of accuracy. Personally if I couldn't shoot less than an inch off bags or bipod I would wonder what was wrong and certainly wouldn't use it on live quarry. This is as I would feel there was something wrong with the set up but what are people happy with?

Interesting thread, I personally hate targets unless they are quarry shaped. However they have their uses and give an idea of what a rifle/round/optics and person are capable of. If I only shot quarry at 50-120yds then the group wouldn`t need to be small, I shoot from 20-250yds so it has to be small.

All the different shots you are required to take at different quarry need to be worked on. I found that I was missing or wounding when shooting off the bonnet off the car with a bi-pod and when I changed to a bag and have been nailing them at all ranges without fail.I also find that I shoot better with a 2 stick rather than tripod style sticks, probably because I use them more ?

Lying on my belly I like the bipod and a dry stane dyke is improved with a soft cover like a slip or coat.

This thread has willy waving written all over it :lol:

I want to know what it is that has taken Henry D half an hour to pen so far...

can i wave mine....... .17 HMR 300 yards with Wookie and Zapp :yes:

Edit to say its paper I dont do long pots a live critters we tested the range of the HMR as a PW challenge, we all agreed 150 max is sensible

post-1500-0-07523800-1302257109.jpg

Edited by pavman

can i wave mine....... .17 HMR 300 yards with Wookie and Zapp :yes:

Edit to say its paper I dont do long pots a live critters we tested the range of the HMR as a PW challenge, we all agreed 150 max is sensible

My god.... it's that 50 foot monster bunny from the goodies!!! :P

Very nice Pav :yes:

This thread has willy waving written all over it :lol:

I want to know what it is that has taken Henry D half an hour to pen so far...

Absolutely.... nothing wrong with a little willy waving now and again..... the next thread will be 'post your worst group!' bet that one dies a death :lol:

seen it done and done the same, it happens still won't stop me taking the odd pop at them though, that rabbit target pav is exactly the sort of point that would be what you would expect from a centrefire that shot 2 or so inches at 100 yards fired at the same range

I'm not a target shooter and my rifle is not a top end model but it shoots groups I am more than happy with and i have not had many misses as yet...

but - if i was talking someone out stalking and they shot a 2" group i would not hesitate to let them take a shot on quarry out to 150ish yards...

image 0902 was shot at 200 yards the rest were 100

post-10812-0-96729900-1302264867.jpg

post-10812-0-38903400-1302264880.jpg

post-10812-0-16656200-1302264913.jpg

post-10812-0-73183900-1302264936.jpg

post-10812-0-71163100-1302265559.jpg

Edited by gixer1

I'm not a target shooter and my rifle is not a top end model but it shoots groups I am more than happy with and i have not had many misses as yet...

but - if i was talking someone out stalking and they shot a 2" group i would not hesitate to let them take a shot on quarry out to 150ish yards...

image 0902 was shot at 200 yards the rest were 100

I can see now why you dont shoot long range,but there is no need to get upset for those that do,the key is to stick to the distance your happy at and what your equipment is capable of,which you obvioulsy do

by the way dont take offence or think my commnet is arogant,its just my opinion of what you have shown

back to the origonal poll I voted "less than 1 inch" as a modern factory rifle with the correct tuned ammo should be able to do this,off a suitable solid rest.

Every single one of those shots would be a dead roe deer at 150 yards which is all I need... ;)

Also all were groups with 100gn PRVI ammo.

and its "arrogant" - if you're going to try and take the **** you've got to at least be correct yourself ... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

It has been a beautiful day so the wife was in the mood to do some Spring Cleaning while I was in a "Let's agrovate the wife" mood so she sent me out to play. I had a few partizan 100g Soft points I wanted to use up and then I wanted to try some Remington PSP 100g ammunition I brought so that I can do some "willy waving".

I was shooting with my Sub £200 .243 rifle set up with a set of second hand (£50.00 including mounts) Simmonds Pro-Hunter 4-10X44 scopes. The shots were taken in the prone position off the bipod at a measured 100 metres.

Here are the results

The first target is of 4 shots using Partizan 100g SP and the second is 3 shots using Remington PSP 100g SP. To put this into perspective the red bulls eye is exactly 20mm diameter.

These results suggest that my rifle is quite happy with Partizans, which is great for me as they are the cheapest!

I should add that the couple of shots that are a little off are no doubt down to my shooting as my rifle can shoot much better than I am ever likely to!

post-17172-0-03941500-1302278331.gif

post-17172-0-32037000-1302278343.gif

Edited by Frenchieboy

Every single one of those shots would be a dead roe deer at 150 yards which is all I need... ;)

Also all were groups with 100gn PRVI ammo.

and its "arrogant" - if you're going to try and take the **** you've got to at least be correct yourself ... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Gixer

hold on mate pick your dummy up,where was it said it wouldnt be a dead roe deer at 150 yards ??? Iam not disagreeing with you,if thats all you need thats great,but any further i would start to worry infact I wouldnt even attempt the shot

you have found your limit of 150 yards thats fine no shame in it at all,like I keep saying dont judge others by your own limitations.

by the way my limit is 500 yard although the caliber I use is good for 1000 yard but thats is beyond me,so Iam happy to my limits just like you,