sgc applied for. n.ireland! how long??

decoyally

There is no such thing as SGC in Northern Ireland, we all work off an FAC. Apparently the waiting times have been shortened dramatically; however, you could still expect to wait a few months. I have a variation away at the moment and it is 6 weeks and counting, however, I am applying for a centrefire which will take longer than your shotgun.

How Long for a N.Ireland FAC?

ages

FAC and SGC are the same thing over here, you hold your shotguns and air rifles (fac or not) on a FAC. But if your talking about rifles my understanding is that you must have experience of fire arms for at least a year or year and a half before you will be considered for a rimfire rifle.

At least thats what my FAO told me, however I had very little previous experience with Firearms and I'm only 23 so maybe these were factors. Perhaps someone a little older and more experienced would be able to get them a bit quicker. I was also led to believe that experience with a rimfire was required before you would be considered for a centrefire etc.

However if you have already been granted any rifle in England, Scotland or Wales and were thinking of moving to N. Ireland i don't think you'd have any problems bringing your guns with you. A friend of mine recently moved to London and had no problems bringing his with him.

I may be wrong in some of what i have said, this is just my understanding. If anyone can correct any of what i have said please do so as I know for future.

However if you have already been granted any rifle in England, Scotland or Wales and were thinking of moving to N. Ireland i don't think you'd have any problems bringing your guns with you. A friend of mine recently moved to London and had no problems bringing his with him.

I may be wrong in some of what i have said, this is just my understanding. If anyone can correct any of what i have said please do so as I know for future.

If you're from Mainland UK moving here to live then you will still need to apply for an NI FAC, also to bring your firearms in for a temporary basis you must apply for a certificate of approval. You could also apply for a COA and hold your firearms on it pending your FAC being granted.

However just bringing your firearms to NI on a non-NI fac is a no no and could cause heap loads of hassle.

I put in for a FAC on 05/03/11 and received a call on 13/04/11 to say I was getting it subject to a cabinet inspection. Had the inspection on the 14/04/11. Just waiting on the cert being posted now. FAO said I should sometime next week. I have to say it was a very straight forward process, the FAO was very helpful.

Hopefully yours is as quick :)

I put in for a FAC on 05/03/11 and received a call on 13/04/11 to say I was getting it subject to a cabinet inspection. Had the inspection on the 14/04/11. Just waiting on the cert being posted now. FAO said I should sometime next week. I have to say it was a very straight forward process, the FAO was very helpful.

Hopefully yours is as quick :)

Out of interest what guns were you getting on your FAC? I sent my variation 2 days after yours, but haven't heard anything else.

I got my FAC last year and it took a good 6 months and that was only a pellet gun. Sent it away there in january or feburary to add a shotgun and a rimfire and it took bout 10 days to come back which was a welcome shock. Experience wise i had no expierence nor hadnt joined a club but had grounds of 2000 acres if that would make a difference.

Yours is only a variation Ollie...

It should be back faster than his application! :lol:

Good.Luck.With.That! :oops:

I know, everyone is else is talking bout how quick its got :oops: , don't think so. I'll lift the phone tomorrow, they'll probably put me to the bottom of the pile. :lol:

My certificate arrived yesterday. So 05/03/11 to 21/04/11 application to cert on mat.

Also as to the wording on the ticket, it says: 'Use is restricted to sporting purposes and vermin control on lands which the holder has lawful authority to shoot over. The holder must ensure the land is suitable for this type and calibre of firearm and the use of this firearm on the land present no danger to public safety'

For the rifle it has the preceding on it and: 'The firearm may also be zeroed on these lands or on approved ranges if access to such ranges is lawful.'

So is this an open certificate?

Also in Northern Ireland do moderators need to be on the certificate? Mines wasn't.

My certificate arrived yesterday. So 05/03/11 to 21/04/11 application to cert on mat.

Also as to the wording on the ticket, it says: 'Use is restricted to sporting purposes and vermin control on lands which the holder has lawful authority to shoot over. The holder must ensure the land is suitable for this type and calibre of firearm and the use of this firearm on the land present no danger to public safety'

For the rifle it has the preceding on it and: 'The firearm may also be zeroed on these lands or on approved ranges if access to such ranges is lawful.'

So is this an open certificate?

Also in Northern Ireland do moderators need to be on the certificate? Mines wasn't.

Yes mate, moderators need to be named on your FAC. If yours isn't and when you go to collect your rifle the RFD wont give you you're mod. They are listed seperately as a firearm themselves.....daft I know but thats the way it is here

Rich

I called the firearms branch yesterday and they said that moderator needs to be on my FAC. It was on the application but they left it off by mistake. So my cert has to go back for it to be added. On the plus side I was able to get my guns and ammo. I'll send it off after the Easter break.

Dazza the mod was for .22 rifle. Also good to know that there are no closed certs here. I've been wondering for weeks whether it would be open or closed lol :)