Canada goose control

kobidog

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year l had no permission to shoot ... one day l popped into a farm and the farmer said that there was no shooting on "this farm" but there was at his sons .. namely ridding the farm of Canada Geese .. l was pleased l'd found a farmer that would let me shoot.

As things turned out it never transpired ... and having posted on the forum and read sensible counter reasons for not shooting the Canada's ... reading some of these posts reaffirm l made the right dicision ( though in reality the farmer made it at the time ) .. anyhow it guided me into thinking more about why and what l shoot within the legal framework ... Hare's l.dont shoot. Under a circumstance out of the breeding season and if l was using non toxic l wpuld take a Canada goose.

As things turned out shortly after the farmer not getting back to.me regards general shooting on his farm, l gained two farms .. one of which has small numbers of Canada's occasionally present

That's a better ratio than mines Highbird ! When about do they start nesting ?

Royboy...I was showing off....my ration its probably 1 in every 10....lol....

Nesting wise....weather permits, they will couple up from now on and soon nesting, more goose experts will probably correct me if I'm wrong

They have been coupled up since Feb. Last few days of the season they were flying in pairs. Young birds normally appear anytime from now onwards. The cold snap may be delaying them. Depends where in the country you are. We have not seen any snow etc in this part of Devon, however, they may nesting a lot later 'oop north.

• 2 weeks later...

they had them in WW2 and are still used today in the forces, not many people know that. smile.gif

Well as a serving Class 1 armorer I have never touched an Issued Air rifle, the cadet forces have them. I would say the amount you know is how to google SAS and stick a picture on your profile, just like ever other walt.

If I remember correctly it was a video of a moving swimming goose (pair) shot on a pond with an air rifle.

Only one was shot !

It was spring time but this thread is 2 years old.

Edited by mpk