Land Rover recall

crosshair

Had a letter this week from Land Rover, they are recalling Defenders Reg from 2007 to 2011.

Something to do with oil leaking on to handbrake linings.

They say the job will be done free by main dealer only, and will take about an hour.

My main dealer is over an hour's drive away, looks like I will have to take a morning off.

Guest rimotu66

Had a letter this week from Land Rover, they are recalling Defenders Reg from 2007 to 2011.

Something to do with oil leaking on to handbrake linings.

I wonder if there going to recall all the other LandRovers from the 50's onwards, they've always leaked oil on the handbrake havnt they :lol:

Land Rover reason for recall.

Oil leaking from the rear of the transfer box contaminating the brake shoes.

Remedy:

Main dealer will remove the output shaft flange, clean the splines, apply a sealant, remove a now redundant washer, where necessary the brake shoes will be replaced.

Time: appx 1 hour.

Hate to be cynical but a lot of dealerships do this when they have no work, invent a minor problem and recall.

They will do a free "safety check" at the same time and you will get a crappy list of defects that are not covered under warranty so they can try and get work.

My wife works for land rover and this is a genuine recall. We have both worked in motor trade for a long old time and have never known of a main dealer inventing a minor fault. Manufacturers hate having to do recalls its embarrassing and expensive. So sorry but I have to disagree there.

• 2 weeks later...

I had our 10 plate 110 in over a month ago at Colchester complaining that the handbrake wasn't holding properly; they conducted the work in accordance with the recall notice we recieved 3 days ago so i suspect the issue has been ongoing for some time prior to them capitulating and getting the fleet of defenders in.

We've always had LR's both new and approved and always had fairly decent service, however, Colchester is the pits !!! Promised callbacks which never materialise, never got a courtesy car available for months.

Anyone else had any probs with their local LR dealer or is it just me and Colchester??

For vehicle recalls check this site :

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

use the drop down boxes to choose your make and model to find results :good:

eg :

7 Search Results - Page 1 of 1

Criteria : (LAND ROVER DEFENDER) for the date range 01/1/1992 to 01/12/2011

Information : Click on the recalls number to expand the detail and hover over the concern for a quick insight into the defect

Please note that certain recalls have the same reference number, but relate to different models/variants of the same manufacturer/vehicle.

# Launch Date Recalls Number Make Model(s) Concern VIN Start VIN End Build Start Build End

1 22/06/1993 R/1993/050 LAND ROVER Defender perforations in inner tube LD925367 to LD925913 04/01/1993 15/01/1993

2 05/06/2000 R/2000/038 LAND ROVER Discovery and Defender Td5 Diesel engine flywheel may fragment XA200000 to XA244647 (Discovery) 01/09/1998 30/06/1999

3 22/10/2001 R/2001/017 LAND ROVER Freelander insecurity of front seat backrest. 1A300000 to 1A320519 01/08/2000 28/02/2001

4 22/04/2002 R/2001/171 LAND ROVER Defender left hand front brake flexible hose concern XA159961 to 1A617058

5 31/03/2004 R/2003/180 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II and DEFENDER (where ABS is fitted) possible loss of service brake XA162896 and YA600000 YA199999 and YA671407 01/10/1998 01/12/2003

6 04/12/2009 R/2009/091 LAND ROVER Defender parking brake may become ineffective SALLDHMS87A740136 SALLDVBS88A757662 07/06/2007 13/02/2008

7 04/04/2011 R/2010/232 LAND ROVER Defender parking brake efficiency can be affected 05/10/2007 04/11/2010

Edited by mrwabbits

Its nice to know some things dont change!!

Despite computer aided design, modern manufacturing tolerences of below .001mm, high tech materials and adhesives Land Rover are still dependable and still leak oil on the handbrake after 60+ years of development.

Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feelin inside lol

thats interesting last year my girlfriends dad was getting his caravan out with his TD5 parked it on a slope and it started rolling. Chased it fell flat on his face and it parked itself in a wall. Would be comical if he wasn't 80 and it didn't nearly kill him might check he had the recall done as it did look like it had the handbrake on properly when I removed it from the wall

• 2 months later...

No, they leaked oil on the drive. It is a relatively new idea to have something there to catch it.

:yes: :yes:

Whilst its leaking you know the oil levels ok ,,

when it stops -- its time to top up :lol: :lol:

:no: Wouldnt be a L/R if it didnt leak :lol:

Both of ours do it from one form of gasket or another (usually the rockerbox)

Shell refinery are now currently drilling on my driveway ---- send in Red Adaire :lol: :lol:

Edited by mrwabbits

My wife works for land rover and this is a genuine recall. We have both worked in motor trade for a long old time and have never known of a main dealer inventing a minor fault. Manufacturers hate having to do recalls its embarrassing and expensive. So sorry but I have to disagree there.

I have to agree with the above i too am in the motor trade and have never heard of dealers making up re-calls to get extra work :hmm::hmm: