Wild boar

That is what annoys me, they say there are not enough hunters but those that want to shoot wild Boar are charged lots of money so preventing quite a few from doing it.

now where have I heard that before :hmm: aah that will be red deer then?

KW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, thats the way many do it, and pregnant sows, sows with young but those brave brave hunters can boast they have killed a boar. Why not be done with it and poison the lot of em.

bearing in mind they are all escaped stock and pose a high risk to our native pig industry it has to be questioned whether the UK is the country for a wild population of boar. Yes shooters like them but thats about it, they are highly destructive and breed like wildfire.

That said I went stalking a few weeks back with a guy who has a yearly trip out to texas on wild pigs. 4 of them shot 2500lbs of pigs in a week with some corking boars in there serious teeth and all a fraction the cost of shooting them here or in Europe even when you throw in flights etc plus you got a decent amount of shooting.

I don't know. Most of the fun for me is when I cook the wild boar and enjoy it with friends. Shooting it in another continent is kind of prohibiting of that. Maybe there is a market for 'wild boar parks' where they can enjoy relative freedom and be hunted in the wild?

If you fancy a boar-shooting trip to Italy, check out these folks:

http://www.vialba.com/Caccia/Programme.html

Husband and wife couple who used to live in London (he's Italian/American, she's English) - very hospitable people and a beautiful part of the world. The local shooting community look quite colourful too if the photo gallery is anything to go by:

http://www.vialba.com/Caccia/Photos.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Duncan

Ihave had loads of guys out on boar who have paid big money to

go abroad to do pigs and never fired a shot ,would love to try running

boar myself but to expensive for me . I do them from a highseat and have a good

strike rate as i dont do a lot of outings and we are very carefull what sex and

size of boar we shoot . I am just over the border in Dumfries area

Cheers

Solwaystalker

There's some places in Europe you wouldn't want to go Boar shooting and Italy is one of them, not if you value your life anyway. Check out how many 'hunters' are killed/wounded in Italy each year by their own kind!

The (Boar) populations in Europe are increasing faster than hunters can kill them and in some areas they are a real pest. If you take on the shooting rights of an area (and in general that's the only way you're going to get shooting locally in some European countries) you are expected to 'cull' out to specific head counts and if you don't there can be fines to pay to the landowners for the damage caused by the Boar and also Deer.

I think it unlikely that DEFRA will allow large populations of wild living Boar in the UK. We have too many outdoor pig units especially here in EA and I know they (DEFRA & Farmers) want them shot on sight in this area. I know of 3 that were shot near Thetford last year, no more seen since.

Ihave had loads of guys out on boar who have paid big money to

go abroad to do pigs and never fired a shot ,would love to try running

boar myself but to expensive for me . I do them from a highseat and have a good

strike rate as i dont do a lot of outings and we are very carefull what sex and

size of boar we shoot .

In defence of the people who pay 'big money' to go abroad.

Costs would normally include a lot more than drive up the road, we are also talking about driven wild boar, which of course won't bring the same success rate, but in no way compares to whacking them out of a high seat. There is also of course a difference between sport and success.

bearing in mind they are all escaped stock and pose a high risk to our native pig industry it has to be questioned whether the UK is the country for a wild population of boar. Yes shooters like them but thats about it, they are highly destructive and breed like wildfire.

That is what I was lead to believe, that they can breed and multiply quite rappidly.

Agreed, if everyone went out and nailed every wild boar that they could in the UK then they might not last long but why could there not be some sort of "management program" to control the numbers and preserve the sport of wild boar shooting in the UK?

This is just an observation as I am not overly interested in shooting wild boar even though I can understand the thrill/excitement of it - if it is done sportingly (Daylight stalking for instance) and not at feeding stations with a lamp - I can't see how that can be classed as "sporting", culling yes but sporting no!

because they are close enough to be a carrier of various diseases to our farmed pigs, if we had another foot and mouth outbreak and it got into a decent boar population then you would never wipe out the outbreak till you'd wiped out the Boar. Couple that with the UK being too populated its unlikely the sportsman will win the debate about keeping them. People will try to manage the population for sport but if they get well established that could lead to a government policy of removal.

As highlander says they are not compatible with outdoor reared pork, or indeed with walkers or cars so having any significant number of them in the UK will case a lot of issues.

Actually since posting I have checked out a few websites and the prices seem to have gone up a lot since last time I looked

I can confirm this as last time i was in hungary (around xmas past) it was SERIOUSLY expensive to shoot a descent boar...

Edited by gixer1

because they are close enough to be a carrier of various diseases to our farmed pigs, if we had another foot and mouth outbreak and it got into a decent boar population then you would never wipe out the outbreak till you'd wiped out the Boar. Couple that with the UK being too populated its unlikely the sportsman will win the debate about keeping them. People will try to manage the population for sport but if they get well established that could lead to a government policy of removal.

As highlander says they are not compatible with outdoor reared pork, or indeed with walkers or cars so having any significant number of them in the UK will case a lot of issues.

A good compromise would be to have dedicated wildboar farms where they can roam in relative freedom without running the risk of them mixing with domesticated pigs, scaring off walkers etc...

A good compromise would be to have dedicated wildboar farms where they can roam in relative freedom without running the risk of them mixing with domesticated pigs, scaring off walkers etc...

so canned hunting thats another ball game altogether, might as well shoot the big white ones as it would be as sporting

There's some places in Europe you wouldn't want to go Boar shooting and Italy is one of them,

Just because you aren't in Italy doesn't mean you won't end up shooting with them though.

I always want to know exactly who I am shooting with these days, I have gone off surprises :oops:

I can confirm this as last time i was in hungary (around xmas past) it was SERIOUSLY expensive to shoot a descent boar...

I know (of) some very wealthy hunters who went to Hungary and said it was the best trip they have ever experienced, and trust me they have done it all

Even they said they wouldn't shoot a red deer there though as it was too expensive, so Christ knows how much that is :blink:

so canned hunting thats another ball game altogether, might as well shoot the big white ones as it would be as sporting

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I am not proposing to place wildboars in back gardens. We are not talking about confined spaces here, there is plenty of land to allow for massive areas where the animal can leave in freedom and offer a sporting hunt. What are the big white ones you are referring to?

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I am not proposing to place wildboars in back gardens. We are not talking about confined spaces here, there is plenty of land to allow for massive areas where the animal can leave in freedom and offer a sporting hunt. What are the big white ones you are referring to?

and whereabouts in the UK would that be then? :hmm:

and whereabouts in the UK would that be then? :hmm:

I wish I had an answer to that but I do not have any detailed data. I am just making assumptions here. My gut feeling is that it should not be so hard to get an area large enough to accommodate for this in any county. Just to clarify, what sort of area size would you consider adequate?

why would a farmer fence with a very expensive fence a large area so these destructive animals can be kept to shoot? Then he would need the license to keep dangerous wild animals etc It sure won't be financially viable for the shooting ;)

I wish I had an answer to that but I do not have any detailed data. I am just making assumptions here. My gut feeling is that it should not be so hard to get an area large enough to accommodate for this in any county. Just to clarify, what sort of area size would you consider adequate?

And who's going to buy or lease the land and pay for the fencing and upkeep. Even if it was possible it would still be canned hunting, something most sportsmen abhor.

A friend of mine has fenced a small (30 acre) wood on his estate and put a family of wild boar in there. Special approved fencing, licences to keep dangerous wild animals, etc etc cost him a small fortune (luckily he has a large one). He doesn’t shoot them (at least not here) but enjoys the craic of keeping them for the meat although the last boar had to go once it got past puberty as it was b***** dangerous and would always chase you.

What we did discover was, if you ever need to clear a bit of land forget bulldozers, cattle, goats etc etc just get yourself a few wild boar and leave them alone for a few weeks. You would not want these things in your garden or your fields trust me!

There’s a (daft) chap who wants to re-wild a part of the Scotland Highlands, I forget his name, but his estate of around 25000 acres has proved too small for the animals he wanted to release there. I’d hate to think what sort of money he’s looking at to fence that little lot ‘cause it needed to be about 12’ high and ordinary stock fencing isn’t good enough. Ever been to Woburn Safari Park?

A friend of mine has fenced a small (30 acre) wood on his estate and put a family of wild boar in there. Special approved fencing, licences to keep dangerous wild animals, etc etc cost him a small fortune (luckily he has a large one). He doesn’t shoot them (at least not here) but enjoys the craic of keeping them for the meat although the last boar had to go once it got past puberty as it was b***** dangerous and would always chase you.

What we did discover was, if you ever need to clear a bit of land forget bulldozers, cattle, goats etc etc just get yourself a few wild boar and leave them alone for a few weeks. You would not want these things in your garden or your fields trust me!

There’s a (daft) chap who wants to re-wild a part of the Scotland Highlands, I forget his name, but his estate of around 25000 acres has proved too small for the animals he wanted to release there. I’d hate to think what sort of money he’s looking at to fence that little lot ‘cause it needed to be about 12’ high and ordinary stock fencing isn’t good enough. Ever been to Woburn Safari Park?

Gosh that is a lot of logistics. I admit I was not aware of the complexities. I just thought it could be a somewhat straight job of enclosing a number of beasts in an area...

The guy was called Mr Lister. I think I have to stress that he wanted to introduce , wolves , bison, lynx, bears ,as well as wild boar. So 23000 acres doesn't seem a lot for all those large animals.

(Plenty of space for just wild boar though, me thinks.)

The guy was called Mr Lister. I think I have to stress that he wanted to introduce , wolves , bison, lynx, bears ,as well as wild boar. So 23000 acres doesn't seem a lot for all those large animals.

(Plenty of space for just wild boar though, me thinks.)

They would be mighty expensive to shoot to recoup the cost of fencing 23,000 acres !!!