Rabbits? Rabbits!!

I needed some fresh air and a period of respite care from the wife so this evening headed off to the local golf course where I do my best to keep the rabbits under control.

The drive there is about 5 miles or so and normally I see dozens of rabbits on the grass verges en-route, it was around 7pm and this time there was not a single rabbit to be seen, quite unusual.

I turned into the golf course driveway, no rabbits anywhere. Parked the car, no rabbits, set up the gun and as stealthily as I could (I don't do stealthy) crept to a bunker which overlooks one of my favourite spots, always good for a rabbit, no rabbits.

Walked past the wooded area constantly checking the hedge next to the fairway with my binoculars and not a single bl**dy rabbit anywhere, this is history being made. Such a nice warm evening and no-one else on the golf course to have frightened them off.

So I headed down to the far end of the course, needed the exercise, and finally spotted my first rabbit of the evening but could not shoot it as the land drops away and if I lay down to use the bipod I could no longer see the rabbit. Groaning and creaking a bit to stand up again scared it off anyway.

Finally got to the far end and settled myself down on a small raised bit of grass beside a bunker, fairly comfortable with a reasonable view and around 100 yards of hedgerow within good shooting distance.

Then they started coming out and between about 7:30pm and 8:15 when the light was getting quite poor I fired 18 shots using the HMR with 16 good kills and 2 unexplained misses. It was, sadly, a straight forward culling operation taking out rabbits of any age or size and half a dozen were big mature rabbits while the rest ranged from little babies to a reasonable size but young.

The temperature had dropped, now getting a bit chilly and I had spent this time lying in one spot so cranked the old bones back into life and made my way over to clear up the rabbits and chuck their bodies into the adjacent field out of sight of the golfers but where the foxes and other wildlife can have their dinner.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself, a job well done, and feeling confident that I was keeping the rabbit population under control. A good total, 16 rabbits in less than an hour.

So I made my way back across the golf course following the hedge towards the car and about half way there with about 300 yards to go I could see that a fair number of rabbits had started to emerge from the hedgeline, where there had been none earlier so in the fading light I had a quick look through the binoculars and bug**er me there were hundreds of them. It was like looking at a plague, they were everywhere, I counted to 80 and gave up, in an area about 200 yards long by 60 yards wide there were over, way over, 100 rabbits of all sizes hopping an skipping about having a lovely time.

Wall to wall rabbits. My total of 16 paled into insignificance, I shot one more out of this marauding mob which sent all the others packing but what a sight. I have seen 50 or so together in that area before but this was ridiculous.

So I will be back with the night vision and the .22lr for a few hours. Its tough but someone has to do it.

The temperature had dropped, now getting a bit chilly and I had spent this time lying in one spot so cranked the old bones back into life and made my way over to clear up the rabbits and chuck their bodies into the adjacent field out of sight of the golfers but where the foxes and other wildlife can have their dinner.

Madness. Even if you got 20p a rabbit off the game dealers, it's covering your costs. If the game dealers won't take them, you can give them to elderly people - They love them. I give loads of rabbits to my local OAPs.

..Plus, the local farmers might not be keen on an increase in foxes, thanks to a plentiful supply of dead ones.

Nonetheless, sounds like you've got a nice bit of land to shoot. ;)

Edited by Billy.

You need a helper, :yes: no need to thank me, petrol and ammo costs will suffice.

Nice write up. One (genuine) question, can't you find a butcher or game dealer to take them off your hands if you can't use them yourself?

Good shooting.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that. :good:

I'll share mine now if you don't mind.

Tonight I thought I would give my old car a bit of a polish just to tart it up a bit. It was going dark and I wasn't going to be able to finish it so just did the top bits (roof, bonnet etc.)

I had just about decided it was too dark and was looking across the field to see how much light was left in the sky. Noticed 2 rabbits across the field so went indoors and got my rifle.(.22 BRNO my Dad bought new in 1969 for £26)

One shot one rabbit clean kill. I went and got Fred (my son) and his mates from the other yard to witness the distance.

120 yards, 9.20 pm (so you can guess how much light there was), no lamp or anything and sights set at 45 yards.

I was well impressed with myself.

I like these kind of tales. :)

Madness. Even if you got 20p a rabbit off the game dealers, it's covering your costs. If the game dealers won't take them, you can give them to elderly people - They love them. I give loads of rabbits to my local OAPs.

..Plus, the local farmers might not be keen on an increase in foxes, thanks to a plentiful supply of dead ones.

Nonetheless, sounds like you've got a nice bit of land to shoot. ;)

I have had to do what is basically a cull lately, 70% of those shot are milky does and a few young ones. These are worthless except as pet food and most get left where they fall.

It's crop protection simple as, and also protecting my right to go there. If I dont someone else will.

I am getting £3 for the choice young bucks mind :yes:

I have had to do what is basically a cull lately, 70% of those shot are milky does and a few young ones. These are worthless except as pet food and most get left where they fall.

It's crop protection simple as, and also protecting my right to go there. If I dont someone else will.

I am getting £3 for the choice young bucks mind :yes:

I don't have a problem shifting milky does so why are they worthless? Even if I couldn't sell them I know plenty of people who would love a free bunny.

£3 is pretty good though, I only get £1.50 and that's without jackets and guts.

I don't have a problem shifting milky does so why are they worthless? Even if I couldn't sell them I know plenty of people who would love a free bunny.

£3 is pretty good though, I only get £1.50 and that's without jackets and guts.

Milky does are very poor quality I wouldn't want to eat one, especially if I've just paid a tenner in a gastro pub for it :lol:

Milky does are very poor quality I wouldn't want to eat one, especially if I've just paid a tenner in a gastro pub for it :lol:

Every day's a school day!

I can honestly say I've never noticed much difference, except that they are easy to skin. More for the dog then.

ATB

Those of you that have commented on the waste of meat.....

Yes, I agree with you completely, it is fundamentally wrong to waste well shot rabbits.

A lot of the rabbits, in this case, were too small, as I said, it is a culling operation pure and simple. But some of them would have made very good eating. Even the young ones could be minced for dog food.

I really hate throwing away the bigger rabbits and it goes against my normal stance of "shoot it, eat it" but to be honest, gutting and skinning rabbits is a real chore and although I have seen people do it really efficiently and quite quickly, for me it is fairly hard work and takes time, although she hates the thought of me shooting them, my wife does at least like eating rabbit (that I prepare and then cook for her....).

The back of my Discovery is a bit like a mortuary with bottles of water, disposable gloves, tissues, knives, secaturs (for legs), plastic bags and even a white plastic table so "the operation" can be carried out without getting bits of grass in the meat - how geeky is that! Maybe I should be worried about myself :unsure:

There are days, however, when I just can't face disembowelling and then skinning yet another rabbit. I think a lot of you will understand that feeling, especially if you are out on your own.

I make very good rabbit sausages, rabbit burgers, and give away loads of rabbit portions as part of a personal crusade to make people aware of the benefits of shooting and to introduce younger people to eating rabbit meat which has become quite fashionable - my "unique selling point" is that it is low fat and free range - older people know all about rabbit and as someone said, really pleased to be given some, makes me feel happy too, I would never consider selling it. Cost a lot for the sausage machine, mincer, vacuum sealer and the rest of the bits but so does any hobby.

There are not any poultry farms or similar in the area so it is arguable that a healthy fox population helps keep the rabbits in check. Some golf courses have problems with foxes which can be a nuisance in their own right but that is not the case here.

One thing that does surprise me, a couple of weeks ago I left a pile of 8 rabbits out of site in a disused ditch and the next day the whole lot had gone, clean as a whistle. I was expecting to find a maggot infested mess, but nothing. There are foxes, badgers and of course birds including a couple of buzzards now and again and I assume they cleaned up.

I don't like throwing rabbits away so if I get just a few (Not enough to make it worth the drive to my game dealer) I give them to the senior citizens in our block of flats. However the small young ones are a bit of a problem as they are often too small to be worth eating. There is a use for the smaller ones though which can help pay for your ammo and fuel. Why not find someone local that breeds ferrets or someone who keeps birds of prey? Ferret keepers are normally crying out for rabbits at this time of the year as their jills are normally in young and need all the extra food they can get and bird of prey keepers will happily take them off your hands to feed their raptors as long as there is no lead in them, which is highly unlikely with a 17HMR on young rabbits. I often use small young rabbits for bait stations for foxes, they can usually be pulled apart into small pieces quite easily (Sometimes easier and quicker than cutting them up) and will hold foxes in a small area as they have to scavenge around for their feed!

I do understand your predicament, when it is "vermin control" you need to shoot them regardless of the size and it is a bit of a shame to shoot rabbits that are too small to be of use for the pot but there is no sentiment in vermin control and it has to be done!

I needed some fresh air and a period of respite care from the wife so this evening headed off to the local golf course where I do my best to keep the rabbits under control.

The drive there is about 5 miles or so and normally I see dozens of rabbits on the grass verges en-route, it was around 7pm and this time there was not a single rabbit to be seen, quite unusual.

I turned into the golf course driveway, no rabbits anywhere. Parked the car, no rabbits, set up the gun and as stealthily as I could (I don't do stealthy) crept to a bunker which overlooks one of my favourite spots, always good for a rabbit, no rabbits.

Walked past the wooded area constantly checking the hedge next to the fairway with my binoculars and not a single bl**dy rabbit anywhere, this is history being made. Such a nice warm evening and no-one else on the golf course to have frightened them off.

So I headed down to the far end of the course, needed the exercise, and finally spotted my first rabbit of the evening but could not shoot it as the land drops away and if I lay down to use the bipod I could no longer see the rabbit. Groaning and creaking a bit to stand up again scared it off anyway.

Finally got to the far end and settled myself down on a small raised bit of grass beside a bunker, fairly comfortable with a reasonable view and around 100 yards of hedgerow within good shooting distance.

Then they started coming out and between about 7:30pm and 8:15 when the light was getting quite poor I fired 18 shots using the HMR with 16 good kills and 2 unexplained misses. It was, sadly, a straight forward culling operation taking out rabbits of any age or size and half a dozen were big mature rabbits while the rest ranged from little babies to a reasonable size but young.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself, a job well done, and feeling confident that I was keeping the rabbit population under control. A good total, 16 rabbits in less than an hour.

So I made my way back across the golf course following the hedge towards the car and about half way there with about 300 yards to go I could see that a fair number of rabbits had started to emerge from the hedgeline, where there had been none earlier so in the fading light I had a quick look through the binoculars and bug**er me there were hundreds of them. It was like looking at a plague, they were everywhere, I counted to 80 and gave up, in an area about 200 yards long by 60 yards wide there were over, way over, 100 rabbits of all sizes hopping an skipping about having a lovely time.

Wall to wall rabbits. My total of 16 paled into insignificance, I shot one more out of this marauding mob which sent all the others packing but what a sight. I have seen 50 or so together in that area before but this was ridiculous.

So I will be back with the night vision and the .22lr for a few hours. Its tough but someone has to do it.

I've had a dream like that more than once.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice story fellow but try eating some you might suprise yourself also try your local farm shops :good:

Hello

You must have missed my earlier follow up post in the middle of this thread somewhere. I and my family, and my neighbours, eat plenty of rabbit and I also make sausages and burgers with them, they are very popular. There are times, however, when I get sick to death of gutting and skinning yet another load of rabbits. Sometimes it just has to be a culling operation.

I could make a few quid from selling rabbits but there are easier ways to make a living and I really don't need the hassle. Normally I will keep and eat, or distribute, what I shoot. Sometimes that just is not going to happen.

Generally speaking, to keep people "on side" and persuade them to try rabbit you cannot give someone a rabbit that is anything other than "oven ready". People have unfortunate "supermarket driven" attitudes towards meat. Something indistinguishable wrapped in cling film on a styrofoam tray is ok, even though you and I know that it is possibly imported, reared in "unhappy" surroundings and tasteless. Give them a rabbit that looks like a rabbit and Flopsy and Mopsie syndrome creeps in.

To go from a just shot rabbit to something that can be given to neighbours who are not proper country folk takes quite a bit of time and effort, and yes I know, the rabbit does deserve the respect of being eaten.

I can sympathise with you as preparing rabbits can be time consuming and, quite frankly a chore. But I try to take fewer per trip and go more often as skinning and gutting 5 is fine but 20 is a pain.

The biggest problem I have is the amount of offal produced, we have a bin collected every 2 weeks and the 8 bunnies I gutted from last night (shot on turf fields - popular with dog walkers so no paunching in the field) will be in a warm bin for 13 days before they are collected, by which time they'll stink to high heaven.

The only other solution is to donate them to a bird of prey sanctuary/local zoo/ferret owner or the like so at least they'll get used.

I can sympathise with you as preparing rabbits can be time consuming and, quite frankly a chore. But I try to take fewer per trip and go more often as skinning and gutting 5 is fine but 20 is a pain.

The biggest problem I have is the amount of offal produced, we have a bin collected every 2 weeks and the 8 bunnies I gutted from last night (shot on turf fields - popular with dog walkers so no paunching in the field) will be in a warm bin for 13 days before they are collected, by which time they'll stink to high heaven.

The only other solution is to donate them to a bird of prey sanctuary/local zoo/ferret owner or the like so at least they'll get used.

I have now thought a bit more adventureously, the comments posted in this thread pricked my concience even more than it was already pricked, so I have tried a bit harder to find an outlet for my rabbit surplus.

A conversation with my local wildlife park was really helpful and they will gratefully receive healthy well shot rabbits in their "fresh" ungutted state for feeding to the tigers. So thank you.