.20 CAL

terrior

HELLO

I OWN .177CAL AND .22CAL RIFLES BUT FEEL THE NEED TO OWN A .20CAL,

WITH IT BEING THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD I WOULD OF THOUGHT IT WOULD BE

MORE POPULAR THAN IT IS.

COULD PEOPLE SHARE THERE THOUGHTS AND KNOWLEDGE.

THANKS....................................................

.20 was orignally a USA Calibre

And Ben Taylor was a UK Manufacture that used to push it

Trouble is several made different barrels which needed different Head Sizes

But as Pellet Manufactures made heavier and different .177 Pellets

It rather got side tracked through lack of good pellets

BOB/R

Its a good question this.

I personally think its a great calibre, and I'm surprised it isn't popular.

Several years ago, I had a webley fx2000 .22 on fac, and I was out with a friend of mine, who had a lovely Weihrach HW77 in .20 calibre(non fac). I was amazed how flat the trajectory was compared to mine. At about 50-60 yds there wasn't much between them to be honest.

I have used .177, .20 .22 and .25. The .20 was hailed as the best of both worlds of .177 and .22, that is the optimistic way of looking at it, the pessimistic way is simple, it is the WORST of both worlds, it does NOTHING as well as either a .177 or .22, add to that the relatively limited availability of the calibre and pellet choice and it is near dead in the water.

As with all things and Human Nature, many who have one will say it's the best thing since sliced bread :hmm::hmm:

.......so just ask yourself, why aren't the .177 and .22 dead and why is the .20 a minor player? :hmm::hmm:

ATB!

i have only used and owned one gun in this cal a sirroco 2000 at 12ftlb. liked the calibre a lot to be fair it shot FTT trophy well and premiers just like it was a .22 cal as they are the same weight. most interesting thing was when i put h+N hollowpoints through it (they actually seemed to expand) i used it to shoot a heap of magpies and it practically knocked thier heads off. Problem is if you get one that doesn't like the limited choice of pellets, i have owned one or two guns that were very pellet fussy but in .20 you just haven't got the range.

if i was in the market for another sub 12 ft lb hunter would i buy one? probebly not, but hearing of that .20 prosport i might not have had the willpower to resist :rolleyes: running one of those at very modest fac levels with h+n could be real interesting :hmm:

i have only used and owned one gun in this cal a sirroco 2000 at 12ftlb. liked the calibre a lot to be fair it shot FTT trophy well and premiers just like it was a .22 cal as they are the same weight. most interesting thing was when i put h+N hollowpoints through it (they actually seemed to expand) i used it to shoot a heap of magpies and it practically knocked thier heads off. Problem is if you get one that doesn't like the limited choice of pellets, i have owned one or two guns that were very pellet fussy but in .20 you just haven't got the range.

if i was in the market for another sub 12 ft lb hunter would i buy one? probebly not, but hearing of that .20 prosport i might not have had the willpower to resist :rolleyes: running one of those at very modest fac levels with h+n could be real interesting :hmm:

The .20 Prosport was custom built by me, you can't buy them off the shelf :yes:

I have used .177, .20 .22 and .25. The .20 was hailed as the best of both worlds of .177 and .22, that is the optimistic way of looking at it, the pessimistic way is simple, it is the WORST of both worlds, it does NOTHING as well as either a .177 or .22, add to that the relatively limited availability of the calibre and pellet choice and it is near dead in the water.

As with all things and Human Nature, many who have one will say it's the best thing since sliced bread :hmm::hmm:

.......so just ask yourself, why aren't the .177 and .22 dead and why is the .20 a minor player? :hmm::hmm:

ATB!

:good: