baikal shotguns

wader74

i have owned three and currently own two, sb / o/u and an sbs.

I still have the single and the o/u but got rid of the sbs as i couldnt hit a barn door :rolleyes:

good solid guns, built like a preverbial outhouse, tend to look quite basic although newer models have slightly better engraving.

You will find on nearly all of them that the action is very stiff and this doesnt seem to wear off with use, on the o/u especially you really have to pull the barrel down very hard to eject spent shells, this is a minor niggle.

My single barrel has claimed many pests and has been through all sorts of harsh elements withut fail.

Baikal are the LARGEST shotgun prouducer in the world so they must be doing something right.

I've two Baikals, a SxS, & a Single. Had the single for 30+yrs, it was bought out of a Catalog :yes: as a pressy, still going strong. I stripped it the other week for the first time, the inside just had a thin film of rust, the machining of the internals is a bit to be desired, but I rate them better than some of the el-cheapo Spanish rubbish.

Baikal....great little guns, my first was a single 12g ejector 28" barrel....always regretted getting rid when i left home but parents didnt want responsibility of having it at home [in the days before cabinets lol].

just started looking to get one back....trip down memory lane type thing so if anyone has a good condition single barrel ejector near the north west please pm me... ;)

atb

• 3 weeks later...

why get into a no win situation over a purdy and a baikal you would not take a purdey to a salt marsh so why ask

If you can afford a purdey I am sure you could afford a second gun for fowling!,I am not knocking baikals have had two myself and they cannot be bettered for price ,but to say they are better than a purdey is just sprouting absolute rubbish.

Edited by fenboy

Have just been given a Baikel bt a farmer who doesn't shoot much so is letting his SGC lapse.It's an O/U DT fixed choke non-ejector.No idea which model it is,but I have to say I'm impressed.

Am giving it to a mate who doesn't have an O/U and doesn't have the funds to buy one.Think he'll like it. :yes:

Better is a comparative word. In many ways you would be better off with a Baikal, all things being equal. Would you go off roading in a Rolls Royce?

Not quite a rolls royce persay but my old boss when I worked at a company called Eurofleet brought a brand new Bentley Arnage and a week later took it over a plouged field whilst out shooting on his estate (yes his estate) and ripped all the front valance off, needless to say he used the Rangie while the Bentley was being fixed, this is the sort of things people with obscene amounts of money do. I digress people have mentioned Rizzini's I have a Rizzini sideplate ejector and find it a very good gun, 1985 vintage but almost mint and I paid the princly sum of £200 admitedly off a mate, but a gun I recommend and you might get one in your budget. :good:

Edited by marmitemania