disco 1 or 2

mad1

hi all i am thinking about the disco for a shootin waggon does any one run one what they like i was wanting a 2.5 diesal can they be modified for shootin easy enough. Ie lamping i wanted one due to the size as its going to be a second car big enough to use for the family but mainly used for me shooting any pictures would be helpfull reg m1 :good:

Ran a disco 1 for 274.000 miles, currently run a TD5 Disco 2, done 215,000 to date. Used as everyday transport, tows trailers carrying 2 tonnes, used on shoot carting wheat, lamping etc. Both have been autos, far better than manuals, rust is the big enemy, you will require fuel injectors at about 180,000 and the air suspension bags don't last that long but there is now a shock absorber retrofit kit. Plenty of used spares available from breakers, had an rear axle for my TD5 Defender a few weeks ago, under £300. ( Pin came out and wrecked diff)

Fit it with a set of Grabber ATs or BFGs and you are good to go anywhere but it is surprisingly good on Michelin road tyres, all I ever had on the Disco 1. I would prefer diff lock ( Disco1) but Traction control (TD5) is not bad.

A

You can give the pre mid 2001 IIRC Disco 2's difflock by retrofitting the difflock lever and connecting rods from a late D1.

At first, all Landrover did was leave off the outer levers etc on the transfer case but for 2002 they took out the difflock mech from the transfer box.

I did this to my Y plater - best of both worlds, difflock & traction control!

• 1 month later...

Disco 1 had the 200 and 300 TDI Engines, Disco 2 although looking similar was a big redesign and had the TD5 Engine, Airbag rear suspension etc. Disco 2 was launched in 1999 I think.

Disco 1 series have less to go wrong but obviously they are getting old now like mine on an R Plate, just had to get both sills done for its test.

Sills and boot floor are the rust spots to look for but its not a mega money job to pit right . Its easier if you can find one thats had them done because they will need replacing at some time . I run a 97 disco 1 with a 300 tdi with insa turbo Dakar tyres and it goes anywhere my old defender would with the bonus of comfy seats

I use mine as my everyday motor , shooting truck and greenlaner . It has no modifications except tyres and a steering guard .

I have a friend who had a TD5 with so many gremlins that he had to sell it. So be careful you don't fall for one like that

Best of luck with your purchase

I have the Disco 1. I bought it as a keeper for the winter so it does very little in the summer. I went for the 300TDI as they are pretty much bullet proof. The series 2 has too much electronics for me. I did have the V8 petrol disco 1 previously but had too many problems with it, so I got rid!

That said I don't think I would have one for every day transport. I prefer a small car with better economy for the summer.

Phil

Disco 1 with the 300 tdi is the one I'd go for, and I've had/have pretty much all of them. 200 tdi's good...but not as good as the 300, TD5 as said, seems to suffer a lot of niggles. V8 petrol (which is the only petrol I'd have) is great..but very juicy, it's only valid for 'toys' IMO even with LPG fitted.

Tyres will depend on what you use if for, if it's light off roading then Michelin roads are good enough and get my vote. Insa turbos are well rated off road, I've not used them though.

i run a 97 disco 1,300tdi engine is arguably the best,a few mods done,heavy duty steering arms,chequer plate on bonnet and bottom of doors,runs brilliant on insa sahara m/t"s,needed a bit doing to it when i bought it,but all done now,like whats been said,catch the rust early and shouldnt have any problems,mpg is pretty good too(compared to the pajero i had)153000 miles and still going great,regular service helps aswell,good luck with your choice mate...

DAZ

I've run both, a 300tdi on an N reg ran it to over 160k only had timing belt go at 104k £300 main dealer 12 years ago (should have changed it before!) I'm on my second TD5 now can't fault 'em the ACE makes a world of difference to the handling. If it was as a work horse I'd look a late 300tdi possibly a commercial, but if its as a family car with only occasional off road and mainly on road then TD5 has a bit moor power and smoother drive, not to mention less suseptable to corrosion.

Been running a 1999 Disco 2 for the last 6 or so years as both shooting vehicle & family/commuting car. Myself & family love it, it is due for replacement soon, hopefully another Land Rover. Now got over 135000 on the clock, biggest trouble has been it's tendency to eat wheel bearings. No sign of the dreaded tin worm on it yet, though it does get steam cleaned & under sealed every year ( grotty job but worth the aggro.)

Previously had HiLux Surf and Forester, I personally will be sticking with Land Rover for 4x4.

I bought a 300 tdi swb auto discovery 1 about 7 years ago and still have it. I Bought it with a good chassis and spray it every couple of years with old engine oil. The only thing I have had to change is a swivel ball joint and the battery! Pretty good going. I average about 30mpg.

Edited by celestialspore

Hi i have a 1992 disco 200 tdi and its great its not rusty like a lot of people say it only took two very small bits of welding and a new head light connector to pass its mot, but i am haveing to get a new steering box as its leaking, it does roughly 30mpg and driveing off road i havent had to use 4wl yet mine has 7 seats