Wellingtons versus Boots

I'm need to buy some new footwear for rough shooting, walking my Springer etc. Before I buy I wondered what other members would recommend? at the moment I have a fairly cheap pair of wellies which are great at keeping your feet dry but not very good when it comes to walking long distances.

Cheers Andy

Wellies in the wet, walking boots in the dry

Lacrosse Aplha Burly (gonna replace with Aigle Parcours Iso next season), Meindl Burma Pro MFS.

Like Nick, wellies when ground is very wet and muddy, but all other times I wear Timberland boots which are preferable as they are much more comfortable to wear all day and long walks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RRWFVU/ref=asc_df_B003RRWFVU2864339/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B003RRWFVU&linkCode=asn

Edited by Cosd

as said you need two pairs, dog walking in the wet wrecks walking boots if you are out twice a day and they never really dry out. Best wellies I've had are leather lined hunters as you can wear them for more of the year without sweating than the neoprene ones. I wear them most and have some Laksen prohunter walking boots for when its reasonably dry though with gaiters can wear them a lot of the time

Hunter Balmoral with decent socks for when it is properly wet and I'm going in to the woods, or scarpa boots for when it is normal wet and I'm staying on the tracks. Cheapy Karrimor trainers for when its dry.

I walked about 8 miles in snow in my Hunters last year and never had any issues with cold or damp - just got to have the right socks. Feet never tired or ached either :good:

I have moved completely away from wellies. They offer no support at all (actually worse than a pair of trainers!, they are uncomfortable, hot and sweaty in the summer (as they cannot breathe at all,) and cold in the winter (unless you wear silly thick socks with them.) AND... I personally think they look almost as pretentious as those silly leather dubarry things!

I now wear tall boots, in my case Meindle Dovre extremes (you could do it for much less cost than those though) with a good waterproof gaiter. I am TOTALLY waterproof 3/4 of the height of a welly and almost as waterproof the rest of the way up. The only time the welly would win is if I stood in a river up to my knees... can't remember the last time I did that!

Anyhoo... Loads of suport both in the ankle and underfoot, lovely and comfortable whether standing around or on a 20 mile hike, warm in winter and cool in summer... And, I think, look better than wellies... certainly not as poncey [sp.]

Edited by Vipa

I have moved completely away from wellies. They offer no support at all (actually worse than a pair of trainers!, they are uncomfortable, hot and sweaty in the summer (as they cannot breathe at all,) and cold in the winter (unless you wear silly thick socks with them.) AND... I personally think they look almost as pretentious as those silly leather dubarry things!

I now wear tall boots, in my case Meindle Dovre extremes (you could do it for much less cost than those though) with a good waterproof gaiter. I am TOTALLY waterproof 3/4 of the height of a welly and almost as waterproof the rest of the way up. The only time the welly would win is if I stood in a river up to my knees... can't remember the last time I did that!

Anyhoo... Loads of suport both in the ankle and underfoot, lovely and comfortable whether standing around or on a 20 mile hike, warm in winter and cool in summer... And, I think, look better than wellies... certainly not as poncey [sp.]

Yeh, I've looked at the Meindle boots but they are a bit over my budjet. Are there any others you recommend a bit cheaper?

You really have got to go and try a load on - don't do it on price. I tried 5 pairs on in cotswold outdoor, ranging from £80-190, meindle, scarpa, brasher, north face and another pair. They measured my feet in all different directions, when standing and when sat, looked at how I walked (i walk odd due to an injury a few years ago) and after about 2 hours I ended up with a pair of £130 Scarpa boots.

Chances are if you are going to be shooting or dog walking in your boots you are going to spend a lot of time on uneven surfaces, so you need to know that they are going to be comfortable long term. Not just a case of "I'll have the brown ones in a 9 please" :good:

Yeh, I've looked at the Meindle boots but they are a bit over my budjet. Are there any others you recommend a bit cheaper?

I only ended up with Meindles as they are the first field boot I have ever had that fit comfortably. I've got silly wide feet.. There are plenty of options for half the price if not less but make sure, if you are using them to effectively replace wellies, that they are tall...

Ankle height boots will give plenty of support for normal activities but obviously your 'absolute' waterproof level is going to be quite low! The gaiters will keep the rain and the splosh out but if you do end up walking through boggy ground/streams etc, they will let a little water through..

Edited by Vipa

Dubarry leather wellies are fantastic-much lighter and more comfortable than rubber wellies. I wear mine most of the time unless it is really wet and muddy then I have hunter balmorals for that.

Dubarrys are expensive at £285ish but I think well worth it

Anthony

I have absolutely no doubt that they are fine boots and please don't take this personally, after all, it's horses for courses but when ever someone turns up at the local clay shoot in Dubarry type boots I just can't help having a little snigger....

Maybe it's just me but I think they look a little out of place anywhere but on the feet of landed gentry's women... They are quite effeminate IMHO.

But then... for me... the best footwear is a pair of assault boots, which you will find me wearing a lot of the time, even just round town under my jeans... I'm sure people look at them and think I'm strange :blink:

Edited by Vipa

As suggested, walking boots will give better support for walking distance, as that is what they are designed for.

Buy the best you can afford and look after them, keep them waterproofed and your feet will stay dry.

A decent pair of gaiters will also help.

I work on a farm and have to wear wellies nearly everyday and have had several brands but i now wear gumleaf wellies and they are so comfortable and can wear them all day and they are half the price of top brands but i think they are as good. have a look at there website gumleaf clothing.