Which wistle commands to use?

gilo17

I have a 6 month sprocker spaniel and I am training her using a Joe Irving book which I am finding quite easy to do but he uses 2 whistles one for the re-call and one for the drop,which I dont want to do I just want to use one whistle, I use 2 peeps for the re-call and was wondering what to use for the drop? as he uses a single peep in the quatering exercises, she will drop to a hand signal occasionally so I would like to introduce a whistle? Thanks.

i think he recomends the acme thunderer for the stop only initially / switching to a std type later, i might be wrong though. personally i use three quick pips for recall, two for turn and one for stop. I need to keep my cool on the stop though and keep it to a simple quick pip or i blow too hard and nothing comes out but air :rolleyes:

you could try changing the recall to multiple peeps that would leave you two peeps for quartering and one peep for stop. when you have stopped the dog you can introduce the drop with a hand signal at first and the dog would eventually associate the drop with the stop whistle.i may not be totslly right but thats the way i would try things.sure someone can tell you better if im wrong. all the best with your pup and enjoy the training its worth it in the end.

The above sounds good to me.

Remember that the stop signal works better as an extended blast which has a long "time" component.

The dog can "run through" a short pip stop signal whereas a blast extending for a few seconds is more likely to get a response from the dog who can`t pretend he has`nt heard it.

The above sounds good to me.

Remember that the stop signal works better as an extended blast which has a long "time" component.

The dog can "run through" a short pip stop signal whereas a blast extending for a few seconds is more likely to get a response from the dog who can`t pretend he has`nt heard it.

Spot on. My dogs will stop on a single pip or long blast, but at distance, a long blast seems to be far more effective. I use a double pip for turn and multiple pips for recall.

Acme 210 with Pee ESS

1 Blast - Stop whistle

2 Pips - Turn

Multiple pip - Recall

I command "lost" when working in the area of blinds, but he's usually better than me at finding it anyway :unsure:

Sometimes I wonder how people can stop their dog on just a single pip? Surely that sound is easily lost in the heat of a drive?

Edited by garyb

Sit- The theme from "A few dollars more."

Hunt- I whistle "Dixie"

Recall- Any song by Roger Whittaker.

:lol: :lol: :lol::good: thought you were being serious for a moment............. More importantly if you are I would like to see that !!!