pigeon decoying

leeboy

I'm looking to get into decoying pigeons this year. I've got plenty of ground to shoot over with plenty of pigeons but its not something I've ever tried before.

I've got no idea how much kit I need, and how much is actually nescessary. I dont want to go out to buy all the gear while I'm still green incase I'm talked into buying stuff I dont need etc.

Can someone tell me what basic kit do I need and do all the mechanical gadgets make a difference ?

Is it worth paying for a guide to show me the ropes or would you suggest just having a go and see what happens ?

I'd be grateful for any advise

Leeboy

leeboy

I started of with 12 shell decoys and a couple of floaters.

It worked for me i shot birds and as i got more hooked i then bought magnets and flappers.

start simple and see if you like it first.

PS Best of luck its very addictive. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Leeboy,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Decoying!!

You have the land so you are halfway there.

All you need to start you off is a decent net+poles, a few decoys and maybe a couple of floaters. (and a Gun :lol: )

The clothing dosent have to be anything special, as long as its drab,

(and Waterproof)

Flappers,Whirlies, peckers and the like will come as you get further into the sport,

by which time you will know if you need them or not?

But for now, read back on the threads,ask questions,and most of all

Get out there and have a go.

Regards Sutty :lol:

leeboy...get dressed up in your finest pigeon shooting gear and DO NOT forget a face veil, take your gun and some cartridges and go find a flightline. Sit yourself under that flightline in a 'natural' hide and shoot some birds. Then if you enjoy yourself (and if you don't you're no 'hunter') go spend some money on the kit. It's that simple. :lol:

youve got the land sorted so spend as much time as you can observing where the birds travel and what they are feeding on..Ask the farmer what he intends planting and whereabouts - check these fields out ,if there are no obvious places for building a hide,start thinking about getting some old bales or palletts put in or around the field perimeters (if the farmer is okay with this ).

If your lucky enough to be in an area where peas and beans are going to be planted youll have some great shooting - as already stated it's very addictive.

Get some washing line poles from asda, try and find some old army camo netting and a handful of deek, a comfortable seat (old drum will do) and a gun. More than enough to get you going. That's how I started a year back. Build the kit up slowly and you'll appreciate it more as well.

i find that the basic kit you need is gun :lol: plenty of cartridges decoys i prefer flexicoy decoys as i find them the most realistic, whirley machine (optional but makes the world of diffrence), hide nets & poles/sticks to hold the net up. and DADA thats about it for someone just starting the sport. But as time goes on you may want to add to your decoy collection prehaps buy some floaters, loafters and bouncers. Oh yer and a seat or your legs may get tired :/ . sorry to rattle on.

i find that the basic kit you need is gun :lol: plenty of cartridges decoys i prefer flexicoy decoys as i find them the most realistic, whirley machine (optional but makes the world of diffrence), hide nets & poles/sticks to hold the net up. and DADA thats about it for someone just starting the sport. But as time goes on you may want to add to your decoy collection prehaps buy some floaters, loafters and bouncers. Oh yer and a seat or your legs may get tired :D . sorry to rattle on.

its not a sport is it :) a passion i think it is !!!! sport no way cant see it in the olimpics lmao :/