How to hit the woodies - help!

BigBeater

Guest cookoff013

dont forget to keep both eyes open or you will lose sight of the target and probably stop the gun.

remember the sight picture that works for next time.

not everyone can shoot with both eyes open.

when i shoot with both eyes open i have upto 3 blurred images, i have no eve dominance, any eye can take over.

if his gun fits and he has sorted out his poi and poa, he should be hitting them.

@mjt

Its what you are confident with. For me its 28g 5 3/4 full choke and this combination will kill out to long ranges

yes, those #5 hit hard. that cartridge is a great bird load.

I have only been shooting a year and have been a regular at my local clay ground and also joined a pigeon club. With clays I'm doing ok - usual shoot skeet and sporting. The problem comes when I'm out after pigeons - I'm really struggling. I've done the recon and found a decent flight line on the edge of a wood looking out over a rape field - how do you hit pigeon when they are coming straight for you to fly over the top of the trees??????? They usually come in small groups 3-15 at a time as they are feeding 2 fields away on rape (that I have no access to). They seem high and fast - I mount my gun, find the bird pull away and pull the trigger - result - wasted lead!! Any tips and help much appreciated.....

Could it be they are just out of effective range.???

Its very difficult to say where your going wrong without knowing what distance the birds are and what sort of lead you are giving them, I always use the 4 'B's BUM BELLY BEAK BANG, another useful tip i learnt is to count 1-2-3-4 ect ect so when you find the bird do the 4 B's and count 1 then shoot if you miss try the 4 B's and then count to 1-2 then shoot and when you find them just keep counting and squeezing that trigger!!!

Happy hunting and good luck :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Truckboy

Big sky small target! Clay grounds tend to give you an advantage because the distances are all reasonable and hittable whereas an open field doesn't give you that structured target. Go measure some of your surroundings before you get into your hide. Pace out 40 yards and memorise a few markers like hedges, ditches, trees etc so you really can be sure if your target is within range. If you have trees they are coming over walk right up to them and mark your height on it then use that to "measure" how high it really is, add 10-15feet for clearance and work out how high up your targets really are. At 40 yards a full choke will put approx 70 of your shot in a 30 inch circle. Stick something 30 inch wide out at 40 yards and look how big (small) it is so you can see how spot on you need to be.

Don't rush! Stay still until your target is within range ( now you know where 40 yards is) then shoot slow but shoot well, the tempto is See it......1-2 seconds........shoot it.

Agree BBBB is good technique.

Very interesting thread with plenty of good advice! I have never been particularly good at high incoming targets, either pigeons or clays. I developed an approach when dealing with the high tower at Doveridge. My scores are not impresively high but at least I no longer embarass myself.

I turn to my right when the clay is launched and treat it like a high overhead left to right crosser. Keeping the clay in sight at all times seems to help. I mount the gun in good time and use the pip to enable me to follow the line of the clay until just before it gets overhead. I then draw the gun ahead and shoot as the clay passes just after the overhead position.

I have not yet tried this technique on pigeons, if they do not see me and carry on flying in a straight line it may just work!

Chris

What you must remember is that the wood pigeon is one of the most (if not THE most) challenging targets you will ever attempt to shoot. Don't get too disillusioned! All of the advice on here is good - but bear in mind that for a tricky high wood pigeon most people on here would have a poor cartridge to kill ratio too!

Just keep trying.

Steve

Edited by shoughton

• 1 month later...

I have only been shooting a year and have been a regular at my local clay ground and also joined a pigeon club. With clays I'm doing ok - usual shoot skeet and sporting. The problem comes when I'm out after pigeons - I'm really struggling. I've done the recon and found a decent flight line on the edge of a wood looking out over a rape field - how do you hit pigeon when they are coming straight for you to fly over the top of the trees??????? They usually come in small groups 3-15 at a time as they are feeding 2 fields away on rape (that I have no access to). They seem high and fast - I mount my gun, find the bird pull away and pull the trigger - result - wasted lead!! Any tips and help much appreciated.....

I had the opposite problem. Went clay shooting (first time in 20 years) on Thursday and only managed 7 and 10 in my first two rounds. :oops: Then I told the scorer to stop shouting out the numbers of the traps so they came as a surprise and did 17 and 18. Yesterday I went out 'proper' shooting and killed everything I aimed at including some cracking sport flighting pigeons over trees. :lol: