pigeons everywhere

kevmag

Just the last couple of weeks pigeons are everywhere, any time you go out they is always some flying about. Before this there has only been a couple of pigeons in my area.

can anyone explain why.

also there is only grass land in my area so what are feeding on and where, i never have seen many of them feeding only seen them in flight.

Get shooting there pests and eating the farmers profit , there vermin and need to be disposed of, an for a few on here will eat them too. Never tried pigeon looking forward to, just don't know how to prep it

Have a look in the recipe section - lots of ideas there.

But for something simple just remove the breasts, cut them into thin strips and stir fry in soy sauce for a couple of minutes maximum. Stunning!

Have a look in the recipe section - lots of ideas there.

But for something simple just remove the breasts, cut them into thin strips and stir fry in soy sauce for a couple of minutes maximum. Stunning!

I must try them stir fried !

The meat cooks really quickly so needs minimal cooking I found. A minute or three too long on too much heat and they can go from tender to tough.

It's one of those meats you either have fairly or very rare, or broil/stew etc with not much in between.

IMO pigeon takes on thai and chinese flavours very well, as does young rook.

I think I'll give your stir fry idea a try, shoughton.

Thanks, Zaiyn.

Noticed today between Norwich and Acle a very large flock of pigeons sitting on power cables and in the trees and dropping into a field of barley . This field was not laid at all and they were dropping into the tram lines and directly onto the corn . This field must have turned to the milky stage . First cereal field I have seen them dropping into this season . Its started .

Harnser .

Ive seen birds aswell for the first time dropping in to a barley field today ,the barley is ok around here its the wheat which is not good ,well for the farmer ,its really small and thin and the pigeons will be able to drop in and feed no worrys .

Peas to be lifted over the next week never known that to happen this early but might get some sport on the stubbles :good:

Noticed today between Norwich and Acle a very large flock of pigeons sitting on power cables and in the trees and dropping into a field of barley . This field was not laid at all and they were dropping into the tram lines and directly onto the corn . This field must have turned to the milky stage . First cereal field I have seen them dropping into this season . Its started .

Harnser .

i seen them landing on top of a barley field no laid patches on me way home last sat, it was just turning colour should get some on laid barley and wheat soon.

i seen them landing on top of a barley field no laid patches on me way home last sat, it was just turning colour should get some on laid barley and wheat soon.

I dont think you'll get any laid corn, its to short. Could you decoy them into the standing crop though?

Why not ive got some laid barley already ,the barley is quite tall round here unlike the wheat :yes:

Oh, i was told that the crop is extra short this year because of the lack of rain, so you wont get any laid corn. I haven't seen any about, but i will keep an eye out. It's a shame that where i shoot they don't farm barley.

Oh, i was told that the crop is extra short this year because of the lack of rain, so you wont get any laid corn. I haven't seen any about, but i will keep an eye out. It's a shame that where i shoot they don't farm barley.

Yes wheat in my area is poor so poor the birds will be able to drop in and feed no worrys at all tho ive some spring wheat which looks good and like i said the barley is ok aswell . shot some good bags last year on standing wheat just take care in picking shot birds ,you dont wont to do more damage than what the birds are doing :yes:

I dont think you'll get any laid corn, its to short. Could you decoy them into the standing crop though?

you will get some laid i,ve seen quite a few tall barley fields and with all the rain parts of fields will go flat..

you can decoy them on any standing crop but you will lose a number of birds in it and do a bit of damage to the crop

Edited by yickdaz

Plenty about in Lincs Wolds. Been out today, got drenched in rain storms and shot one. Pigeons are on peas but in some quite large flocks and aren't committed to any one field or spot which makes it difficult. On Thursday I shot 21 on some peas, but more than half were flighting over me to another part of the field. They are dropping right in the middle of a large field and two smaller ones which makes it impossible to decoy. Even with rope bangers they kept going back to the middle. I am guessing at least one of the fields will be harvested in the next few days so I will have a go on the stubble. Had some great days on pea stubbles last year.

Plenty about in Lincs Wolds. Been out today, got drenched in rain storms and shot one. Pigeons are on peas but in some quite large flocks and aren't committed to any one field or spot which makes it difficult. On Thursday I shot 21 on some peas, but more than half were flighting over me to another part of the field. They are dropping right in the middle of a large field and two smaller ones which makes it impossible to decoy. Even with rope bangers they kept going back to the middle. I am guessing at least one of the fields will be harvested in the next few days so I will have a go on the stubble. Had some great days on pea stubbles last year.

All my peas will be gone by middle of next week had 5 fields done over last 2 days rest to go monday and tuesday :yes: