getting phesants drunk

Archie-fox

hi

i grew up in the pennines and i remember as a small boy i was allways in the fields trapping rabbits and plinking at crows with a bsa cadet 177.. i thort i was john wayne with that rifle...

i new this old guy who lived near my mum and dads house, i think he must have been somekind of old poacher,he saw that i had a few snares in my pocket and decided to pass on some of his wisdom...i told him it was my aim to snaffle a phesant or two from the local estate and this is what he told me to do...

he said soak some rasins or dried fruit in some gin or vodka over night and leave in a few old eggcups around the area were i wanted to grab one..he claimed that the phesants would get drunk and i would be able to just take my pick of the drunk birds..to this day i would love to see if this is true and would it work...

has anyone done anything like this in the past??

as a child i wouldnt think twice about jumping over a wall to grab a apple from a tree or a trout from a stream but i wouldnt do it now... :oops:

Richard.. :good:

i got taught the best way was to roll abit of paper into a cone shape, blather abit of glue around the wide end, stick it in the ground with a few raisins in the bottom of it.

when they gho for the raisin the cone becomes stuck around 1s head and when it lifts up, it cant see, apparently they will just freeze where they are

grain on the railway was one i heard many times also

but i never heard of getting them drunk

Years ago I was told this worked with wild guinea fowl.

Soak raisins in vodka, till they swell up nicely. Put them out where the birds will find them.(always seems to be pheasants around the sheep feeders) They have their fill, and when the gizard starts it's job, they just about fall over blind drunk. Just walk over and pick them up :good:

Never tried it, or seen it done.

Let us know how you get on :lol::lol:

I have a great book called The Poacher's Companion by EG Walsh. It is a compendium of various accounts of gamekeeping and poaching stories from various eras. The drunken raisin method is described, as is lime sticking which is similar to the cone method mentioned above.

:good: Yes it does work :yes:

I have tried loads of other methods too, this was years ago before i could read and write :lol: used to spend more time off school than actually at the place, used to fish for them aswell :huh: Got caught with a caty a few times by the game keeper in the woods, never got caught with any birds though :devil: Dad used to tell me to thank the chap that gave them to me :ermm:

Edited by Dougy