Pigeon Carts

28g Shot Size 7.5 for Pigeon - Your View  

75 members have voted

1. 1. In your expirience where do you stand on this shot size for PIGEON DECOYING?

• I use them as find no difference while decoying
    • I tend not to use them but I am not against anyone using them as I feel they are more than capable cartridges
    • I dont use them as I feel they affect my cartridge-kill ration compared to bigger loads
    • I dont use them and condem people who do use them as they dont have enough knock down power for pigeons

I love the fact people argue about killing pigeons with 28g 7.5 when they all have decoys, cartridges or guns as their display picture. Then you see someone that says 28g 7.5 kill perfectly well and you cant fit all the birds he’s shot in the picture.... At the end of the day, If they work for you, use them. If not then don't, simple as...

(Note: I have no say in the matter about this shot size as I haven't tried - although, been told 7.5 work perfectly well).

Posting drivel? What have I said which could be related to "drivel" ? Don’t start getting defensive because you know what I said is right.

Your entire last post :rolleyes:

You are implying, that because someone doesnt have a picture of a big bag of pigeons as their avatar, then they know naff all about pigeon shooting.

Ant that (comming from someone who hasnt even shot a pigeon) is drivel :good:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears after hearing from people that use 7.5 - It's not the cartridge, It's your poor shooting. If they can kill using 28g of 7.5 and you can't, It's not hard to find the weakest link in your situation, I don't think it's the gun, cartridge or choke, either your poor shooting or your lack of distance judgment.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Posting drivel? What have I said which could be related to "drivel" ? Don’t start getting defensive because you know what I said is right.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You do make me giggle.

Where abouts are you?

I'll take you out pigeon shooting....

this has been covered many times but keeps cropping up from time to time and still miles away to solving it.

.also come the game season you can use what pigeon shells you have left in the cabinet you couldn,t do that with 7.5s

Not so mate i know a fair few guys who use 7,5s on walked up patridges and i have from time to time but preffer 6s on game myself .

Its each to there own i tend to get what i can afford and dont mind saying so i do alot of pigeon shooting so if there is a good deal to be had i will go for that i use 7.5s as there cheaper but for me they do the job fine anything with in 40 ish yards should be dead .

As for wounding more birds i dont really think its the shot or carts it happends from time to time ,ie they turn as you fire it clips the wing and so on . I get 6s when i can but 7.5s i get on with so either or for me :yes:

Not so mate i know a fair few guys who use 7,5s on walked up patridges and i have from time to time but preffer 6s on game myself .

Its each to there own i tend to get what i can afford and dont mind saying so i do alot of pigeon shooting so if there is a good deal to be had i will go for that i use 7.5s as there cheaper but for me they do the job fine anything with in 40 ish yards should be dead .

As for wounding more birds i dont really think its the shot or carts it happends from time to time ,ie they turn as you fire it clips the wing and so on . I get 6s when i can but 7.5s i get on with so either or for me :yes:

i agree with whay your saying horses for courses, i found 7.5s do the job as well, but i prefer 6s like a lot of posts there is for and agaisn,t.

My argument (for want of a better word) is the fact that I used 7.5s, through half choke, over decoys set out at 30 odd yrds. I had allot more walking wounded than compared to using a #6 load, possibly as much as 50%.

As has been said, and I agree, they do the job, but within a limit :good:

I have used both over the past few years and yes they're alright at shortish distance with tight chokes but I like a cartridge that i can use for roosting, decoying and general vermin shooting; with a tight choke I have found RC1/2 to be most effective; a clay cartridge, a reasonable price tag and feel; low recoil and in 28grm 6's (english shot size 5.5) can cleanly kill all long birds providing the correct chokes are used.

ATB

EDR

My argument (for want of a better word) is the fact that I used 7.5s, through half choke, over decoys set out at 30 odd yrds. I had allot more walking wounded than compared to using a #6 load, possibly as much as 50%.

As has been said, and I agree, they do the job, but within a limit :good:

Thats were i differ my out side decoy is only 35 yards so anything within the deoys is taken with out fus but i have pulled off some cracking 50 yard shots with the 7.5s ive also missed some simple birds but for me thats the same as what happens if i use 5,6 or 7.5s . I think they do the job im doing well enough for me but each to there own . Have to say 50% is alot what sort were you using ?

Edited by proTOM1

Thats were i differ my out side decoy is only 35 yards so anything within the deoys is taken with out fus but i have pulled off some cracking 50 yard shots with the 7.5s ive also missed some simple birds but for me thats the same as what happens if i use 5,6 or 7.5s . I think they do the job im doing well enough for me but each to there own . Have to say 50% is alot what sort were you using ?

An Eley 28g #7.5 possibly Firsts :hmm: Cant quite remember, was a few years ago now, I only got as they where cheap, £100 per 1000.

:lol: :lol: :lol: There's certainly some good shots out there if a ratio of nearly 2:1 is considered bad seeing as stuff was requiring a 2nd barrel far more frequently than normal due to the hitting power of the cartridge and because the birds weren't decoying in textbook fashion. (as is often the case if you are restricted to where you can set up due to farmwork and roads)

I seem to recall a rather well known pigeon shooter who goes by the name of John Humphrey's stating that 3:1 is a ratio many people should be happy with.

Although this does serve to prove my point rather nicely. I would much rather use a cartridge more capable of killing cleanly on the edge of the pattern for the birds that are 'in range' but not 'textbook about to land decoyed birds' instead of having to leave them due to the limitations of the cartridge in my gun. I could easily improve my shot to kill ratio by restricting myself to the easiest birds but I'm there to shoot whatever is in range. :yes:

FM :)

An Eley 28g #7.5 possibly Firsts :hmm: Cant quite remember, was a few years ago now, I only got as they where cheap, £100 per 1000.

Ive tried them and did not like them so buy kent v i find them good also buy rc2 comp 6s when i can and when the shop has them in and funds allow as i use rather alot of shells in a year :lol:

Its a marmite matter this! People seem to love em or hate em.....

I really like em and you have a fair few more pellets which is nice to know B) so placed in front end of birds kill just as well out to 50 yards as a pigeon doesnt need much to kill em compared to pheasants or ducks

:lol: :lol: :lol: There's certainly some good shots out there if a ratio of nearly 2:1 is considered bad seeing as stuff was requiring a 2nd barrel far more frequently than normal due to the hitting power of the cartridge and because the birds weren't decoying in textbook fashion. (as is often the case if you are restricted to where you can set up due to farmwork and roads)

I seem to recall a rather well known pigeon shooter who goes by the name of John Humphrey's stating that 3:1 is a ratio many people should be happy with.

Although this does serve to prove my point rather nicely. I would much rather use a cartridge more capable of killing cleanly on the edge of the pattern for the birds that are 'in range' but not 'textbook about to land decoyed birds' instead of having to leave them due to the limitations of the cartridge in my gun. I could easily improve my shot to kill ratio by restricting myself to the easiest birds but I'm there to shoot whatever is in range. :yes:

3 to 1? I was getting better ratios than that when i first started decoying.I would expect to kill 9/10 of these 'textbook' decoying birds.

I shoot at what i regard to be in range, regardless of what shell is in the gun. I love to shoot the more difficult birds.

Edited by motty

Why make things complicated with all this 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 or whatever rubbish.

It doesn't matter if it hits you while you're packing up, driving home or having your meal that you suddenly realise that you've had a really good enjoyable day. Even if you've actually bothered counting, whatever your ratio was that day, it can't be beaten.

Oh, you've killed 25 pigeons this year. Sounds like you're well qualified to advise on pigeon shooting.

Do you actually do any shooting?

Dont be absurd, its just not been updated!!! Im not one of the most prolific shooters on here but when i do go i can happily take them out to 50 yards+ withj 32g no6 and know that when the dog brings them back they will be dead.and I shoot fairly large numbers in a year, where i am the pigeons are only really in at drilling and harvest and I make sure im available at those times.

meandpigeons.jpg

#7 as a minimum for me. Started using Eley Pigeon 32g #6.5 and have not looked back since

Me too - if you are using a fairly heavy gun the recoil is pretty light and I've had some very high hit rates as well as instant kill rates anywhere between 15 and 55 yards.

I use them because I have a great deal of confidence in them.

regards

Zaiyn

I can't comment on 7.5's as I haven't used them. I would like to make this point though.

I've been shooting now for nearly five years, not long I know; up until now I basically bought the cheapest cartridges but always a number 6. In truth until recently I really couldn't distinguish between good and bad cartridges because my shooting has been erratic whilst I was learning so missing birds and clipping them could have been the cartride one day and my shooting the next.

I'm not saying I'm an expert shot now by any means, but I am more consistent. I bought my first slab of a decent cartridge and after a dozen shots I could feel and see he difference. Even hough these are the same size and weight to the cheaper cartridge, my kill ratio has increased dramatically. Thes carts are much harder hitting and where as previously I'd say at least 40% of dropped birds came down alive, so far with these new cartridges I've had two birds come down alive in two outings, the rest have been stone dead.

This in mind, though I don't doubt 7.5's will do a job, physically they are an inferior cartridge to a number 6. That's not my opinion that's a fact, Sir Issac Newton made a living out of proving the theory.

Though I don't usually like to condem people for a choice they make, I have to say I can't condone it as our quarry deserves respect.

Edited by Cosd

Guest cookoff013

what would be better 32g #7s or 28g of #5s ?

the answer is, it doesnt matter as long as it does the job. som guys can decoy the birds onto the barrel of the gun, some can just get them near the pattern.

horses for corses.

but out of the 2 shells the 5s would be it for me.

I can't comment on 7.5's as I haven't used them. I would like to make this point though.

I've been shooting now for nearly five years, not long I know; up until now I basically bought the cheapest cartridges but always a number 6. In truth until recently I really couldn't distinguish between good and bad cartridges because my shooting has been erratic whilst I was learning so missing birds and clipping them could have been the cartride one day and my shooting the next.

I'm not saying I'm an expert shot now by any means, but I am more consistent. I bought my first slab of a decent cartridge and after a dozen shots I could feel and see he difference. Even hough these are the same size and weight to the cheaper cartridge, my kill ratio has increased dramatically. Thes carts are much harder hitting and where as previously I'd say at least 40% of dropped birds came down alive, so far with these new cartridges I've had two birds come down alive in two outings, the rest have been stone dead.

This in mind, though I don't doubt 7.5's will do a job, physically they are an inferior cartridge to a number 6. That's not my opinion that's a fact, Sir Issac Newton made a living out of proving the theory.

Though I don't usually like to condem people for a choice they make, I have to say I can't condone it as our quarry deserves respect.

Can't comment on 7.5's? You just did!

Well, considering it's a fact that no.6 is superior, i think we shooters should all use 42 gm 4 shot out of respect for the woodpigeon!

Guest cookoff013

steady on there,

i`ve seen 7.5s used on phesent, was it right? in my mind no, in the minds of guys who used it? maybe. i didnt bother asking, its his choice.

number 6 is the minimum i`d use on birds like phesent, pigeon. i`d use 7s on partridge.

different cartridges, different speeds, and all.....

will a slow #5 be less effective form a fast #7?

no, just different.