Best footwear

shootingmike

Don't want to start another boots vs wellies debate, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what to buy next.

For years I used some toggi wellies for most of my shooting and they were great up until leaking at the bottom of one of the full length zips. For the last year, I've been using some fabric boots made by TF fishing gear. They were a bit of a revelation - really light (compared to the heavy wellies), grippy, waterproof and very supportive. Problem is though, in just under a year they've started to split. I don't do a lot of shooting but do walk the dogs a lot so they've had a fair bit of use, but I thought they'd last a bit longer. I'm now thinking some decent leather boots might be better.

So now I'm unsure what to do. I've tried on some muck boot tays and they were really comfy and very light but i do like the support of boots. Can anyone recommend some reasonably priced leather boots or does anyone have opinions on the Tay wellies.

Le Chameau quality must have gone through the floor then.

It has!

As said Meindl Dovres have served me well, the newest on the market that are getting a great write up are Harkila Pro Hunters.

Both similar money (£200 ish) but as far as boots are concerned you get what you pay for IMO.

Re: Hi-Tec boots.

I bought some a couple of years ago. V-Lite with the Ion Mask waterproofing, which the girl in the shop claimed was better than gortex. It's not. They are a comfy boot and light enough, but mine leak like a sieve.

Since one of my primary desires in a boot is for them to be waterproof, I'll be avoiding these in future.

It has!

As said Meindl Dovres have served me well, the newest on the market that are getting a great write up are Harkila Pro Hunters.

Both similar money (£200 ish) but as far as boots are concerned you get what you pay for IMO.

That's not good, they are really comfortable. I shall have to look at the Meindl's or Altbergs next time then. Hopefully not too soon!!

I have had a pair of Tay Sports for approx 18 months & they have been great, walking the dogs daily, beating, fowling you name it. Warm as toast, comfy, though I might say I prefer something with a little more support for a long day over really hard terrain. But for the price, they are hard to beat.

Boots over wellies all day long for me. I like the additional support.

I have a pair of mouflons that are 5 years old and still going strong (but I do look after them) I have heard bad things about them now and wonder if the build quality has gone through the floor.

Will be looking at Meindls for my next pair.

As my old Grandad use to say never buy cheap boots or a cheap bed because if your not in one your in the other :yes:

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of alt berg as some lads I know through work wear them. As someone said, they can hand make them to your feet and I think they keep the pattern for future reference.

Might have a little look and start saving the pennies. Too many other expensive hobbies as well I'm afraid!