.17 hmr choice

Zaiyn

Good evening PW people.

I'm looking to get an hmr and was considering getting an HW66 or maybe the non-target version for a bit less money.

What other hmr's are out there that people have had good experiences with? I want a change from the ubiquitous CZ though, not that they are a bad gun of course.

So what does anyone rate?

Many thanks

Z.

Good evening PW people.

I'm looking to get an hmr and was considering getting an HW66 or maybe the non-target version for a bit less money.

What other hmr's are out there that people have had good experiences with? I want a change from the ubiquitous CZ though, not that they are a bad gun of course.

So what does anyone rate?

Many thanks

Z.

Lets be honest, for field work nothing will give you better results than a CZ, results being measured in accuracy, reliability and lifespan terms (and VFM), but you want something else, fine.

There are lots out there and most of them work pretty well, there are simply NO dogs, the environment would not allow it. Certainly there are some that may arguably be better made, use better wood, be aesthetically more pleasing, may be outrageously heavy or light or long or short, but that is ALL about the individual, and just about every individual who replies will tell you theres is best.

Get whatever floats your boat, that's the only way you will be happy, otherwise forget all this and just get a CZ!

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

I bought a pair of 14" HW60s in .17HMR and .22LR. They were more than I was expecting or could really afford to spend. I went into the shop assuming I'd probably come away with a pair of good honest CZs like most people do.

What changed my mind was handling a CZ and a Weihrauch back to back, cycling the bolt and feeling the trigger action and general class of the guns. The HW made the CZ feel like something from another century. They are superb pieces of engineering that shoot like silk and look even better.

A year after you've bought a HW you'll have forgotten the extra £200 you spent but you'll never get tired of shooting them.

Highly recommended.

I had look at the HW66 when I was shopping around for my HMR. Lovely rifle,well engineered and it handled well. If I hadn't been on a budget,I would have went for one. :good:

That's sort of what I've been thinking when I've bought CZ.

Z.

Perhaps consider the Sako Quad, its a marmite gun, like or hate.

In my opinion if you just stick to one barrel it would be fine but keep changing them may lead to problems in the accuracy department.

I may be wrong though.

Edited by Beretta28g

Perhaps consider the Sako Quad, its a marmite gun, like or hate.

In my opinion if you just stick to one barrel it would be fine but keep changing them may lead to problems in the accuracy department.

I may be wrong though.

Quad's are great guns. They need the zero checking when swapping scopes but mine is never more than half an inch or so out. I use a Weaver rail and 2 scopes in Leupold QRW rings, they are superbly accurate. Only thing I hated was the Bolt **** but there are a number of very good after market fittings.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3601

Quad's are great guns. They need the zero checking when swapping scopes but mine is never more than half an inch or so out. I use a Weaver rail and 2 scopes in Leupold QRW rings, they are superbly accurate. Only thing I hated was the Bolt **** but there are a number of very good after market fittings.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3601

If you are using two scopes you can have 2 complete CZ rifles for the cost of the Quad and 2 barrels! Much more versatile if there is a problem with one, you can us the other. Or go out with a mate and let them use the other gun.

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm after a new rimfire but don't want a CZ, not because there's anything wrong with them! Done plenty of shooting with them and they're great, but I don't want one for the same reasons I don't want a Mondeo. Decided on the Anschutz myself.

Well i have had 5 cz's 2 in 22lr and 3 in 17hmr,

all the 17s shot very well and worked a treat, i had all the triggers done so they where all sweet

but like some i wanted to try something a bit different so i went for the sako quad, i got it with the 22 barrel on then got the 17hmr barrel afterwards,

its a very very nice rifle built well good looks and shoots a dream but no better than my cz's accuracy wise thats for sure.

I have to be honest and say that i was a bit disappointed with sako the bolt at the start but now its fine and as i have only just shot the 500th round down it, it will only get smoother.

anyway i have now decided to get shot of the 17hmr for a 17 Remington fireball for even further shots on fur-balls, so i have marked them as such.

17 hmr cz' American 22" barrel with trigger job. 8/10 only because its 22" long

17 hmr cz' Varmint 20" barrel with trigger job. 9/10 size is not everything.

17hmr cz' Varmint 16" barrel with trigger job, 10/10 size could be everything :)

overall they all shot the same size groups when i did my bit and as a 17 hmr could still have 17 ft lb energy left @ 200 yards size did not matter.

now the sako, simply put

accuracy is as normal for the 17 hmr stunning, looks fantastic, is built like a real rifle should be, light in weight even with a full length barrel, and a joy to use.

bob.

PS: don't take any of this as true, as you may have eyes for something i would simply hate,

its all down to you

bob.