Andy McNab books

ME

Read Brave Two Zero not long after it came out after GW1 and thought it was impressive, however the conflicting stories and accusations of B.S'ing perhaps take something away. Read Immediate Action too (his other memoir) and remember that being quite good. He used to visit Sandhurst occasionally and give talks in the early 90's.

This is a bit left-field but as the lad is only 10 the young James Bond books by Charlie Higson are surprisingly good and involve a fair bit of blood and guts but no serious swearing. Faithful to the Ian Fleming originals in case anyone's interested.

ME Junior (10 years) wants to read a military / war type book. A friend has suggested an Andy McNab book.

These books are off my radar as I believe that they don't have many glossy wipe clean photos or a readers wives section.

Can someone tell me if the Andy McNab books would be OK for him. He is a bright mature lad, comes lamping and plays Call of Duty - so he isn't squeamish or easily scared.

What say you PW bookworms / wannabe marines?

the books are ok but i have it on very very good autority that andy macnab is a 1st class *****,, not that ime telling him thou :yp:

if you can and i realy mean this get "unscathed" escapeing siearra leone (spellings?!) its a true story and them boys have real ball`s a good freind of mine is one of the sas guys in it!!

just read that book about the vulcans in the falklands, 687 sqadron i think it's called, nicked it off my dad, very informative, on the other hand how about catch22 by joseph heller, PML whenever i read that :good:

Cracking read 607, love the bit before the Port Stanley raids when they're trying to get the Vulcs airworthy and the spanners are having to hunt out all the bomb racks that they binned previously in scrap yards around East Anglia. Found one key item being used as an ash tray in the mess room.

Catch 22 is awesome. Major Major my fave chapter.

Just read Private Army by Vladimir Peniakoff. If you like surreal farcical heroic wartime autobiographys this book will be hard to put down. If it was a novel you would think it too far fetched.

I like a lot of people have read all Andy McNab and Chris Ryans books. The book and author that beat all for me was Peter McAleese (No Mean Soldier) a story of his rough impoverished childhood to his struggle to join the army and his life in the forces and beyond, thrilling reading. Your son should enjoy it if he likes COD.

ATB figgy

At the end of the day, if he enjoys reading them you lost nothing, the swearing aspect can and will be heard in most playgrounds these days, as long as he knows right from wrong what harm can it do him...

I think wrapping kids up in cotton wool can do more damage, they just need to know the rights and wrongs...the rest they will learn whilst growing up..like the rest of us

the Mcnabb books should keep his interest up, not hard reading but funny at times, whether or not he will understand some of the jokes will be another thing

'Killing Zone'-Harry McCallion.Auto biography of the son of a Glasgow gangster.Joined the Paras at 16,then the RECCES(South African special forces),then served with the SAS and finally the RUC.Six tours of N.I. and the Falklands conflict,also one of the men who attempted to assassinate Robert Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo.Not a bad read.I use to read loads of these types of books when I was younger;there are some good ones out there.The problem is sorting the chaff from the wheat so to speak.

+1000

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum is one of the most gripping (and also the most honest) book about air combat.

What an all round good read that is, thoroughly likeable gent.

Thunderbird, if you like your wartime autobiographies as much as I do then try out 'I flew for the fuhrer' by Heinz Knoke. He was a german ace and his story is fascinating if only for its inevitability.

There's another Belter with broad appeal called Mimi and Toutou go forth by Giles Foden. The story of a little known mission during the first world war to take two warships overland from south africa to lake Tanganyika to do battle with the Kaisers warships that were in control of the waters. Unbelievable stuff. The guy chosen to lead the mission was a truly eccentric gent with a very chequered military record and it only goes to make it even more compelling. He was a proper chancer!!!