Scope for a .243

Norrie

Hiya, just waiting on my Remmy .243 arriving tomorrow, and need some advice on scopes for it...I did a search, and didnt find much, just stuff abouyt S&B, Swarv etc etc...are there any reasonably cheap scopes out there that are suitable for it...?? Should I go for fixed mag, or not?? I have a limited budget of mibbes £150-175 max for one...would that buy me a decent scope??

I've just moved from .222 to this calibre..:)

Thanks in advance guys..:)

If its a new Remmington 700 you have your priorities a little out, just my opinion but you see you can get most guns to shoot but the same just cant be said for optics. I should look for a fixed six if its for stalking, leopold are good second hand as they useally stand by thier lifetime warranties. Good scopes are worth it they last a lot longer than guns and if you cant see them you can't shoot at em :good:

They do say spend as much as you can if not more than the gun think you will stuggle at 175 for any thing other than cheap scope wat you wont be happy with wats up with scope on 222 is that any good

can you swap and save up a bit more ? i think 243 need 400 quid plus scopes on not air rifle scope s

but thats just me .

You can pick s&b 8x56 round 350 ..400 mark i no its double but you wont go far wrong with them

Hiya, Thanks for the replies...

It's not a new Remmy, its about 2 years old...synthetic stock etc..

The scope on the .222 was a Lizenfield 6x42, and I didnt like the crosshairs,hated them in fact.... so it was sold after I sold the gun..would that sort of quality do for a .243?? I know it was a decent make, and sold it for £100......so, thought I'd get another farily decent scope for a wee bit more,.hence the £150-175...:)

I realise that you get what you pay for, but I'm looking for a "fairly reasonable" scope that would do for a while while I accrue the money for a good one..I am aiming for a Swarv or S&B...but right now thats all the cash I have to play with....thats the reason i'm asking...are there any cheaper scopes out there I could look for ?? I'm def not going to stick an air rifle scope on the gun...even I know what would happen...:):)

So, a fixed mag then ??, thats fine, i'm quite happy with that...it will be used for Stalking and foxing....:)

Thanks again guys, good advice there..:)

i have a old tasco on my remmy (thanks willy i bloody love that gun) that o took o fthe hmr as it was scratched to hell but 2 bucks and a ferral moggie this week as well as a brace of hares and rabbits. all say the scope is ok but ile be getting a new one at scoune fingers crossed

The scope on the .222 was a Lizenfield 6x42, and I didnt like the crosshairs,hated them in fact.... so it was sold after I sold the gun..would that sort of quality do for a .243?? I know it was a decent make, and sold it for £100......so, thought I'd get another farily decent scope for a wee bit more,.hence the £150-175...:)

You'll probably find you'd hate the crosshairs on an S&B too as there is little difference between them and a Lissie (shame you sold it, I did like you and sold mine and sorely regret it and would love another).

I'd say look out for a Leup M-8 or FX, a more conventional 30/30 crosshair and cracking glass. I have an M-8 6x36 on my FAC Air and it's superb.

Hi Guys...Well, you wont believe what happened today...went along to see my mate who used to be a Pro Stalker in the Highlands...anyway, he recently took his .270 off his ticket, and sold it...he says, is this any good to you??? A Meopta 6x42 scope..!!!! :) It will be fitted to the gun as soon as I get a set of 25mm Warne? rings for the Remmy...any ideas where i'll get them???

Thanks for the replies guys..:)

My new ( to me) Remmy 700 bought from a great guy...Wabbitbosher!!!...:)

Just need rings to go zero it..:)

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8077.jpg

They do say spend the same on the scope as you did on the gun and also use quality mounts. If budget allows you could nicely stretch to a leupold and if you put another couple of hundred on, a Ziess or Swarovski. What you've got to remember is that these scopes often come with long guarantees and you can't get any better so you'll never feel the need to sell em

Edit: obviously second hand lol I doubt many have £1000 for a new scope

Edited by Brad93

Hiya, yep, I'll let it go for a tenner..:) I will be getting a "proper" scope some time in the future, but not right now...and i know that the Meopta will do the job for now...just need to get a manual for it, as it's got a range finder thingy in it, and I've no idea how to work it..:)

Colster, would that thingy you have, let me fit the 25mm scope to the Remmy 700...?? i'm really not sure about all those different types or rails, rings, bases etc etc...:)

Hiya, yep, I'll let it go for a tenner..:) I will be getting a "proper" scope some time in the future, but not right now...and i know that the Meopta will do the job for now...just need to get a manual for it, as it's got a range finder thingy in it, and I've no idea how to work it..:)

Colster, would that thingy you have, let me fit the 25mm scope to the Remmy 700...?? i'm really not sure about all those different types or rails, rings, bases etc etc...:)

I would have thought so, I had a set on my A-Bolt but when I bought my Shibby off a mate it came with the rings still on and they were the same as I had on the Browning, his rifle was from Riflecraft but based on a Remy 700 action. I don't know much about centrefire scope rings but I guess it depends what bases you have on the rifle.

For the range finding reticle - http://www.meopta.com/download.php?id_document=1404042952&at=1

That Meopta will be better optically than any of the airgun scopes mentioned by other posters above.

Keep hold of it!

It will be fine for stalking, but you may struggle with it under a lamp for foxing.

A 2nd hand Meopta 7x50 can be picked up for just under £200 should you find you do require more glass.

That Meopta will be better optically than any of the airgun scopes mentioned by other posters above.

Keep hold of it!

It will be fine for stalking, but you may struggle with it under a lamp for foxing.

....can you explain why? I've been considering one of these for my LR and that's mainly used for lamping rabbits

Keep hold of it!

A 2nd hand Meopta 7x50 can be picked up for just under £200 should you find you do require more glass.

Have you ever used a decent 6x42 lamping? I have and there is only the difference of 1x on the mag from the 7x50 which might possibly need higher mounts in some set-ups. It is hardly more glass going 7x50 instead of 6x42

It would go on those mounts no problem the rings and bases give a surprising clearance, anyway anyone who has used a 6x42 for lamping foxes will know you can do it but its far from ideal.

Or at least down here we like to know what we are shooting at ;)

Exactly... unless your planning to shoot them with a Rimfire - which is a can of worms in itself!

A decent foxing rig will require a decent variable glass tube on top.

Colster a Meopta or S&B 6x42 would be ideal on your 22lr, as it would be on a dedicated centrefire stalking rig.