Shot gun not firing when pressing the trigger??

william

Hi guys

I had a top day on the barley yesterday however my o/u browning sporter seemed to be playing up now and again.

When I pressed the trigger sometimes it would not shoot mostly it would but now again it wouldn't ?? Do you think its the firing pins on the way out?? if so how much would it be to replace them ? can you do it yourself or is it a gun smith job?? :hmm: I would appreciate your comments Thanks. :good:

When I press the trigger there is no click just the sound of the trigger against the back of the trigger guard, the pins don't seem pitted, I do keep the gun clean but in all honesty I haven't took out the trigger mech for a while so I will do that and try again !!

Please dont think I'm being scarcastic (as Im not) but I had a similar problem with my Miroku MK 38 a few months ago.

All it turned out to be was the small allen screw that holds the adjustable trigger in place had come lose and the trigger blade had slid all the way back - hence when pulled it would hit the trgger guard and not release the firing pins.

Might be worth checking this?

When I press the trigger there is no click just the sound of the trigger against the back of the trigger guard, the pins don't seem pitted, I do keep the gun clean but in all honesty I haven't took out the trigger mech for a while so I will do that and try again !!

Yeah, but are there any signs of the pin striking the primer on the cart? I have had a problem with intermittant light striking before now, which was easily cured with new springs.

Not heard of pitted pins - they either bend :blink: or break for me :hmm:.

Are you sure you are fully releasing the trigger before the second shot? Sounds stupid but I sometimes do it on "Sim pairs" at clay only to find when I try and shoot off the round after missing the clay just to check it fires lol.

Yup, that's one of my favourites too.

Just checked the firing pins its always the bottom barrel that plays up and the pin looks slightly distorted it also does not pop out as much as the top barrel so I am thinking new pins ?? how much roughly to replace any ideas ?? Thanks.

Just checked the firing pins its always the bottom barrel that plays up and the pin looks slightly distorted it also does not pop out as much as the top barrel so I am thinking new pins ?? how much roughly to replace any ideas ?? Thanks.

:hmm: On the top barrel when you say 'pop out' does it drop forward beyond the face when you tip the gun? If so, then it's broken. If it's you pushing the pin forward then that's fine.

If the bottom one is 'distorted' or bent then it needs replacing. I had both pins MADE for my s/s and a load of other work done (springs, screws etc) so I can only divvy the cost up and guess about £15 each.

PW member PhilM suggested this site (clicky here) in a previous thread which may be of use to you at £6 per pin...

Before you replace the pins - you say it doesn't click... that means the hammer isn't hitting the other end of the pin to start with. Even if the pin is faulty, your description would point to an issue elsewhere.

My guess (without feeling the problem myself) would be that it isn't cocking the hammer correctly, or the inertia block is sticking.

Take it to a gunsmith, this is a fairly standard problem and shouldn't cost much to put right.

Had a similar problem with my Browning, check the pin on the bottom of the fore end, this is what cocks the springs when you break the gun. Mine was loose and so when I broke my gun, every now and again it did not push the rods back it rode over them.

I probably haven't made much sense but feel free to pm me your number and I'll give you a call to explain. If it's the same problem it takes ten seconds to put right.