Question for the shotgun fanatics?

6.5shooter

Hi lads,

Something I have been wondering which has never been explained to me before.

First off, shotgun sight beads, why is is some guns have a bright white bead then others have a red bead and my beretta field gun has an Iron bean of no colour?

Is this something to do with the target you shoot at? Eg. Clays or birds??

Next, why is it some guns have thin ribs and thick ribbed sight planes?

My beretta field gun has a skinny rib, I have noticed sporting clay guns have a thicker rib and trap guns have a monster rib.

Just wobdering the answer to these if some of you shotgunners know the answer?

Regards

Garry

The bead is completely and utterly personal choice. I don't like anything which will draw my eye away from the bird, so bright colours and overly large beads which obscure the target are out for me. My Rotty had an Easyhit fitted when I bought it, but I hated it that much I ripped it off the second I got the gun home :lol: - didn't even try shooting with it :lol:.

The rib width is something that we have less control over as it's fixed by the manufacturer, as you say, according to gun style. Somebody, somewhere must have said "I'd like that width on that sporter/trap/game gun", but ultimately, it's just something to sit a bead on. A wider rib might help you acquire a target better, but again it's all personal. I don't actually see the rib when I shoot, so it makes no difference to me :yes: .

Ribs are built to aid the shooter-wide ribbed guns are for skeet shooting where the target is close and fast-trap guns have high ribs because the shooter needs to see the clay as soon as possible and the rib keeps your head up high and the gun as low in the sight picture as possible.Most guns designed for clays will have a rib high enough to allow for ventilation slots-this helps prevent the rib overheating and distorting the sight picture with the heat as it dissipates into the air-the rapid shooting involved in clay shooting dictates this design whereas game guns tend to be fired less often and thus tend not to overheat.

Alot of mixed opinions to the questions I asked. Im not totally convinced that it is a fashion issue but as someone said, the rib could be to do with weight.

The bead issue is a bit strange, companies are making high viz sights and some guns come with illuminous white or bright red etc. I am mainly a rifle shooter and was always told by range officials when shooting smallbore or fullbore target rifles to concentrate on my foresight. This is understandable for rifle use but shotgunning I was always told to watch the target and not my bead.

Like Welsh warrior I have known people having problems hitting clays and someone told them to take the bead completely off the gun and shoot because they are concentrating on the bead instead of the clay and it actually improved their shooting.

The rib width im putting down to weight unless someone else has a better idea what its for?

Garry

Hi lads,

Something I have been wondering which has never been explained to me before.

First off, shotgun sight beads, why is is some guns have a bright white bead then others have a red bead and my beretta field gun has an Iron bean of no colour?

Is this something to do with the target you shoot at? Eg. Clays or birds??

Next, why is it some guns have thin ribs and thick ribbed sight planes?

My beretta field gun has a skinny rib, I have noticed sporting clay guns have a thicker rib and trap guns have a monster rib.

Just wobdering the answer to these if some of you shotgunners know the answer?

Regards

Garry

Hello

I am no expert but looking at Mike George's The Shotgun Handbook he se's much abridged here

Sporter Specification: 10mm parallel or slightly tapering rib, small bead foresight

Skeet Specifcation: 10mm or 13mm parallel rib, small bead forsight

Trap Gun Specification Up to 16mm rib, small bead forsight and optional mid bead rib. Also the rib can be raised to assist in seeing the target clearly above the rib the second bead is to check gun mount correct as Trap shooters shoot pre-mounted

Game Gun Specification 6 or 7mm (1/4 inch) rib, small white bead foresight

The question of foresight beads is manufacturer and user choice and possible the latest idea or fashion

All of the above is a long winded way to say different guns have different uses and so different specs. You wouldnt use a 2.5lb ball pein hammer to knock in .5 inch panel pins? :no: Well you can but its easyer to use a panel pin hammer. And less pain on the fingers holding the pin. :lol:

Finally my Ultra XS has a 13mm tapered rib with mid point and end beads and its a sporter!! :blink:

Answer to both size of rib and bead/s : ultimately fashion, led by assumptions as to what is more suitable in a given situation

A wider/ventilated rib will disipate heat easier than a narrow solid one and therefore be less likely to cause a heat haze problem after many carts in a short time, but the wide ventilated rib is is more prone to damage in the field than a solid thin rib.