ESS bitch struggling to pee

foxbuster

Hi guys and gals,

my 9 month old ess bitch is struggling to pee, she squating down to take a leak but nowt passing. Anyone know what would cause this? Will keep an eye on her today and if she's the same tomorrow i will take her to the vets, but would be nice to hear from somebody that has had this with they're dog and what was done to sort it. I have changed her diet to a semi dry food in the last month-could this be a possible cause??

Sorry I know nothing about dogs but if that was me I would be off to the doctor immediately as it could become life threatening very quickly.

Am sure a member will give you much better advice , hopefully.

Edited by Good shot?

Will give the vet a ring now lads, been mentioned on a gundog forum that it could be cystitis? Anyway will see what vet says. :good:

sounds most likely a simple course of anti biotics should sort it then have a look at her food and you may need to adjust it if it keeps happening.

Cheers guys, took her to vets, shes not retaining any pee but she is in season so vet thinks it could be a case of her 'marking' a few drops here and there to say 'come on then boys'! She's been given antibiotics to be on the safe side and have been asked to get a urine sample from her-this is going to be a bloody hard task!! Any ideas?? Was thinking of laying out a tarp and trying to get her to pee on that as soon as she comes out her run and then collect it? Anyone done this before??

My cocker bitch is in season (her first) and she is doing the same thing. She seems well in every other way so I'm assuming it's fairly normal but I'm not ruling out cystisis.

Hi my Lab is also in season and doing exactly the same, squatting every few minutes and sometimes not urinating, she has even started "wee walking" as my five year old daughter calls it........

Don't think its anything to worry about.

Yeah, took urine sample to vets this morning. Vet said protein levels were little bit high but nowt to worry about. She's been given a course of antibiotics just to be sure, they are doing a more in depth test on her pee to make sure. Thought better to be safe than sorry, but im pretty sure she's fine as she's still as bouncy as ever. Cheers everyone. :good: