Ear Protection

Sloter

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could please advise me on hearing protection, up to now I’ve been using the little foam push in plugs. I tried the plastic ones that you push in and are supposed to let you hear everything fine but reduce the noise of the gun but I couldn’t get on with them.

Is there any advantage to the ear muff type? Electronic or normal? I know you can get the plug-in ones moulded to your ear shape. Or just save my money and stick with what I’m used to. What do you lot use and why?

I have got a pair of green leopard moulded silicone plugs. They are superb but I wish I had bought the ones that have the little filters in them as you can't hear a thing when you have them in.

Cheers

Martin

Sloter, I use Emtec moulded earplugs which work well for me but they do deaden sound, not just loud bangs but all sound. So hearing birds get up or coming in to you is a problem. I know a chap who does reviews of shooting equipment for a well known magazine and he has had plenty of the electonic ear defenders to play with and one lot were spectacularly good, they were the Peltor Swat/Tac and are hugely expensive (£250 +). But on a windy day they mute the wind noise, deaden loud bangs and let you turn up the volume so you can hear someone whisper at 50 yards (ideal for hearing the whisper of wigeon wings)!!!! Needless to say these are the ones that I will buy when funds allow. I have been told by a doctor (who shoots) that ear muff type defenders as opposed to ear plugs are much more effective at protecting your hearing as a certain amount of sound is trasmitted by the bones around your ear!

regards, flytie

that ear muff type defenders as opposed to ear plugs are much more effective at protecting your hearing as a certain amount of sound is trasmitted by the bones around your ear!

Exactly why you should go for the elec muffs and these can also be turned up to hear all things better :lol:

I find that the eletronic one are spot on. You can hear really well, is really usefull on the farm because you can hear people approaching or on the other side of hedges ect, i find they actualy boost your normal hearing, i look around thinking there is a tractor behind me but its about two fields away. I had some Green Leopard moulded ones but lost them `cause they are so small £45 a lot to chuck away :< so am still deciding if to get some more.