Improving Accuracy "Off The Bipod"!

Here is a short video that might help novice and experienced shooters alike in improviong their accuracy when shooting "Off The Bipod"!

I was taught this not too long ago and it has helped me to improve on my accuracy. Some more experienced shooters might know about these techniques already so I have aimed this more at novice rifle shooters in an attempt to help them to improve on their accuracy.

Your thoughts and comments will be most welcome!

Nice demo Frenchieboy,

Out of interest do you "load" the bipod ?

- I've not gone mad....honest !!!

I have recently found that the shoulder hold combined with forward pressure on the bipod (a little less pressure than that needed for it to skid forward) will help accuracy.

This will take up some slack in the bipod movement (there always is some under recoil) and make for more consistency.

I was surprised how well it works, although it takes a bit of getting used to - too much and the bipod will skid forward.

Cheers

AndyCM

Nice demo Frenchieboy,

Out of interest do you "load" the bipod ?

- I've not gone mad....honest !!!

I have recently found that the shoulder hold combined with forward pressure on the bipod (a little less pressure than that needed for it to skid forward) will help accuracy.

This will take up some slack in the bipod movement (there always is some under recoil) and make for more consistency.

I was surprised how well it works, although it takes a bit of getting used to - too much and the bipod will skid forward.

Cheers

AndyCM

Yes Andy, I do to a certain extent! I try to make sure that the rifle is pulled back a little into my shoulder when I place the bipod on the ground, as if I were leaning slightly in to it but not hard enough for the bipod to start tninking about skidding forwards. I agree that this might well help with accuracy, plus if you do not then I feel that you would have too loose a grip on the rifle and the recoil might well give you a bit of a kick resulting in a bruised shoulder - Especially if like me you don't use a moderator which can help to reduce recoil!

Well worth mentioning, thanks, I had overlooked to mention it on the video! :good:

Nice litle vid that, and I suspect it's equally valid to me with an air rifle even if just to provide a 'stable platform' and help prevent that slight wavering that can occur from a less than comfortable shoting position. :good:

Yes mate, it's suitable to use with "most" rifles when shooting off the bipod. That is why I did the video using my .243 (Which can kick like a mule if you don't hold it properly) rather than by using my 17HMR which is more or less recoil free!

There is no reason whatsoever why you should not try this technique with an air rifle to improve your accuracy!

Nice video. Do you tend hook your thumb under the butt also?

I'm assuming that you mean the butt of the gun rather than my own butt - If you mean my own butt I would have to say no, I'm not that way inclined! :lol:

The thumb tucks under the arm pit so your hand is wrapped around the very top of your arm with the back of your hand locking the butt of the rifle into your shoulder. By altering the pressure of your fingers you can make very fine adjustments in your aim!

Pete i think you should have your own section as you are certianly one of the top blokes on this site for down to earth info and quality videos, which help people understand i let my young son (8yrs) watch your method and he picked it up straight away due to his (short) height he struggled to grip the fore stock with his left hand and still support the weapon now he can hold it secure and Dry Fire with comfort thanks agian for the good work.

Nigel

• 2 months later...

Another fine video, thanks. As a point of interest the most common cause of a 'pulled' shot is failing to follow through the shot.

what this means is releasing the trigger too soon, if after the shot has been fired you maintain your pressure on the trigger there is less chance of disturbing the rifle before the round has left the barrel.

Hope this is of interest, cheers, Neil.

Interesting video :good:

I have a question with regards to grip of the rifle. I am shooting a .270 normally. I was told that I should hold the fore end of the rifle to prevent muzzle flip,(even put a small sticker so I place my thumb ect in the correct place each time). Doesn't your gun jump up a lot frenchie?

Interesting point about a bit of forward/down force on bipod as well :good:

Interesting video :good:

I have a question with regards to grip of the rifle. I am shooting a .270 normally. I was told that I should hold the fore end of the rifle to prevent muzzle flip,(even put a small sticker so I place my thumb ect in the correct place each time). Doesn't your gun jump up a lot frenchie?

Interesting point about a bit of forward/down force on bipod as well :good:

In answer to your question "Does the gun jump up a lot"? - I shoot an unmoderated .243 regularly using this method and yes the rifle does jump a little but the grip with the right hand pulling the rifle into the shoulder minimises the "muzzle flip". By the time the rifle "flips" the bullet is "well and truly on it's way home" so it has not effected my shooting accuracy, in fact using this type of grip while "on the bipod" has helped to improve my accuracy!

I am currently involved in "culling" with a good friend who is a game dealer, so to save meat damage I take all head shots out to around 100 to 120 yards with my .243 and I have not had one that hasn't dropped on the spot to the first shot yet! To test my "marksmanship" and abilities before my friend allowed me to do this type of shooting he insisted that I should show that I could hit a golf ball at 100 yards, which I did first shot using this type of grip of the rifle off the bipod in the prone position!

Before anyone comments or questions me on the "wisdom" of taking only head shots I will say that if I wasn't confident doing so I would not release the safety catch! - As far as I am concerned confidence in your ability and your rifle/scope/ammunition and knowing your capabilities and limitations is crucial when shooting any live quarry! I am going to be helping with some culling late tomorrow morning so I will be out at first light just to put a few rounds through my rifle to check the zeroing before I go on the cull and if I cant hit a 1 inch group at 100 yards while checking my rifle and it's zeroing I will not be shooting on the cull!

I honestly believe in the saying "Wounding is not an option"!

In answer to your question "Does the gun jump up a lot"? - I shoot an unmoderated .243 regularly using this method and yes the rifle does jump a little but the grip with the right hand pulling the rifle into the shoulder minimises the "muzzle flip". By the time the rifle "flips" the bullet is "well and truly on it's way home" so it has not effected my shooting accuracy, in fact using this type of grip while "on the bipod" has helped to improve my accuracy!

I am currently involved in "culling" with a good friend who is a game dealer, so to save meat damage I take all head shots out to around 100 to 120 yards with my .243 and I have not had one that hasn't dropped on the spot to the first shot yet! To test my "marksmanship" and abilities before my friend allowed me to do this type of shooting he insisted that I should show that I could hit a golf ball at 100 yards, which I did first shot using this type of grip of the rifle off the bipod in the prone position!

Before anyone comments or questions me on the "wisdom" of taking only head shots I will say that if I wasn't confident doing so I would not release the safety catch! - As far as I am concerned confidence in your ability and your rifle/scope/ammunition and knowing your capabilities and limitations is crucial when shooting any live quarry! I am going to be helping with some culling late tomorrow morning so I will be out at first light just to put a few rounds through my rifle to check the zeroing before I go on the cull and if I cant hit a 1 inch group at 100 yards while checking my rifle and it's zeroing I will not be shooting on the cull!

I honestly believe in the saying "Wounding is not an option"!

Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a go and see how I get on :good: