Excellent evening bunny bashing (30)

Ey up all.

Well dead eye duck and i were out last night, weather ideal with cloud cover and steady wind blowing. We decide to stay together and use the truck as this area is too big to get round on foot so the YETI is going to get a baptism of fire.

Chatting on the way there we estimate if all goes well we could be on for a good night and agree an estimate of about 30 should be possible.

So upon arrival the sun roof goes back, rifle organised and off we go. An hour later we have got 3 :no: and as the sun goes down and lamping time arrives things are looking grim. Especially as we have just seen a fox that we had to leave (farmer is a hunter). So with a things cant get much worse outlook we set up the lamp and drive into a stubble field and................ rabbits everywhere :D woo hoo. After some nifty bolt work from your humble scribe we are up to 10 in under a minute. We work our way round the field and into the next and there is another group out feeding. Again some quick shooting and bolt work with the sako and we are now up to 17.

Now whilst shooting from the truck i have found that the rifle kicks as my hand has to rest on the sunroof visor. A simple solution was to wear my old target shooting padded leather glove. When this is used the rifle sits nicely and doesnt kick up and move when fired. Whilst changing magazine i took it off and rested it on the sunroof as don drove off. Whoa!!!!! glove nowhere to be seen. After a frantic search not in the car....... not in the field....... its all his fault....... geriatric dingbat!!!! called off search after 15 mins, bestest target glove..... gone.....had that glove for 20 years, sniff, good job i dont complain..

Anyway the weather is starting to come in and light rain is beginning to fall as we drive into the last paddock. On goes the lamp and straight away the sako is in action. As i emptied a 10 shot mag for 9 rabbits as fast as i could work the bolt i swap magazines and don edges the truck 20yds forward and........ here we go again as as fast as i can work the bolt i am knocking rabbits over. We call a halt and decide to have a pick up, as we clean and lay out the slain to cool we have exactly 30.... WOO HOO!!!!!!!

With bunnies packed away with freezer blocks to chill em down we stop for a restorative cup of tea and cake..... when with a flourish don produces my missing glove from under his seat........ he had kidnapped it i am sure...... thieveing chuffin' aged companion. HA HA so alls well that ends well. An excellent evenings shooting, we found the rabbits in the end and i managed to shoot fairly straight too. The YETI perfomed admirably and did all we expected from it.

All the best and thanks for reading.

P1000045.jpg

He skipped over the two that he missed didn't he?

One at 7 yards at most and the other an easy 85 yards or so. Useless Swaro 6 x 42 scope that he stole off me (that was his excuse anyway).

He also stole the Sako rimmy varmint as well, but that's another story. His chuffing charity I am - and don't get me going over me beloved Swaro 10 x 42EL binocs either.

We spent 20 minutes looking in the deep barley stubble for his poncey shooting glove that he had dropped into my lap - couldn't shoot straight without them he says.

I spent an hour finding empty cases in the Yeti that he had tried to hot eject down me neck as well.

Abused

• 2 weeks later...