Recommend me a digital camcorder please

Doc Holliday

I'm looking to get a digital camcorder. I haven't been in a photo/video shop in years (last time was when I bought my Nikon F70). I'm not really looking for anything too poncey as I don't want to faf about changing lenses as you would with a DSLR. Something plain and simple yet gives good quality footage with maybe a few option. As I said, I haven't been in a Jessops or some such for years so I don't really want to spend too much time poncing around with this or that. Limit will be £300 (possibly a tad more depending).

Thanks in advance, as always,

Doc.

I just bought a toshiba for my hols.

It's very simple to use, it records in HD and the quality through the HD cable into the television is amazing. Done a few videos in movie maker and it's still very good. It doesn't have optical zoom but it's not a problem. Has a small light for close up night work. Will also take pics at 5 MO. The best thinif about it. £70

Doc i am in the same boat, i want a new hd recorder but the choice is so big. Hopefully there will be some good advise on this one :good:

I have the Canon Legria HF S20, its not the cheapest but it's at the top of the consumer range. Sony and Panasonic have very good camcorders but Canon is unbeatable when it comes to value for money. That said any of the camcorders at the top of the consumer range will do (Canon, Sony, Panasonic)

Here is some videos I have done with it to give you a good idea about image quality. Please note that all the footage you see is as it was filmed, no colour correction....... I moved it straight from camcorder to iMac and put the scenes together.

You will get the same image quality straight from the box without fancy tweaking.

Remember to set the player at 1080p HD to see the full quality.

This is a video I have done last winter, some low(ish) light and lots of snow, no white balance issues.

This one have some night scenes and fast moving scenes, Please forgive me as the second last clip got totally mucked up and I was to lazy to fix it at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj2e7LaMuGU&feature=channel_video_title

Continue to next post ––––>

Edited by Guinea Fowl

I could not put this all in one post as it was to big, here is the rest.

This was my mum and little girl, some nice colours, and lots of sharp detail and focusing capabilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmtzJY9ErfM&feature=channel_video_title

I am no expert so these aren't perfect but will give you some idea. google the make for details.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Guinea Fowl

I could not put this all in one post as it was to big, here is the rest.

This was my mum and little girl, some nice colours, and lots of sharp detail and focusing capabilities

I am no expert so these aren't perfect but will give you some idea. google the make for details.

Hope it helps.

Very nice video, looked at the camera as well it does look good. But blows my budget out of the water at around £750.00