Winter Weather Forecast

Durham-laddie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am after one as well, so could we have a herts discount if you do hunter stoves :D

What do you need to know Vipa? I've fitted my last few so have a vague idea where you can put them

I'm in a smokeless zone but know I can still fit one if it conforms to certain specs. The space I have for it is restrictive, we took the old gas fire and back boiler out (1970's) and put a nice sandstone fireplace up and made a decorative hole but the fireback is still in place. I have found a couple of small stoves that will fit but not much clearance round the outside... 10-20 mil, is that a problem? there is still a flue space going up through the house from the old back boiler, can you get flexible double-skinned flue pipe that could be just fed up through the existing cavity (fireplace is on an internal wall, not outside) so negating the need to have expensive building work done?

Ta

thats definitely making life hard for yourself!!

Simply most things can be done but its down to cost, I assume this cavity the gas flue goes up isn't an actual brick chimney? If its not then forget it because the twin walled pipes aren't insulating enough to run them in anything else. You can get twin wall solid pipes for that kind of application but when you see the cost you will realise its a bad idea. If there is room for at minimum a 5" flue then it might be more realistic but the space may be an issue. Personally in that situation i'd have a larger hearth and a small stove in front of the fireplace. It will heat the room far better and be far easier to connect up and maintain.

Sadly Alex is right. If your flue is one of the types that is built in to the cavity of the house then you will not be able to use it. A log burning stove will generate temperatures far higher than this will be able to tolerate and will lead to cracking of the bricks and possible collapse of the flue where pieces of the blockwork fall off.

I'm not 100% on the regs for solid fuel but the ones I have come across generally have twin wall insulated stainless steel pipe of approx 200mm (8 inches). You could always have a look on the HETAS website for more info.

BTW, 32% chance of a white Xmas (sourced from Positive Weather Solutions)

In my house we are looking forward to a heavy mug of Tea in the morning with a icing sugar topped bun around 11am, this will be followed by a light lunch and a downpour of Adnams around 8pm :lol:

Then I suppose you have your 'diet' meals just before retiring I suppose?

I've been debating upgrading the current multi-fuel stove that was installed by the previous owners. It chucks out a nominal 3kwh which when up to heat is ok for the room it's in and for the room above it. There's underfloor heating but that doesn't give out enough heat (apart from keeping your feet warm and that's what slippers are for..) and no radiator. So this year I'm borrowing a larger (6kwh nominal) stove and trying that out. My thinking is I can slumber it at lower outputs more easily (larger bed of coals) and if it needs it I can fire it up and really chuck some heat out. It's possible that the current stove is too small for it's intended use but until I've run this bigger stove for a winter the jury is still out.

I've tried both wood, smokeless fuels (ancit etc) and combinations of the two and the bottom line is unless you have a very cheap or free supply of wood they aint cheap to run. Burning 24x7 during the cold months of Jan and Feb I was running at 5Kg a day. That was slumbering both overnight and during the day whilst at work. Extrapolating that over the late autumn, winter and early spring months I worked that out at over £400 in coal. That buys you a shed load of gas. 140% of my current annual gas costs. Factor in the purchase and install costs of a stove and you'd be looking at years (if ever) to get your money back if you wanted to use it as a way to reduce your heating bills.

You've also got to factor in the ball ache of splitting, storing and seasoning next years wood whilst meeting the need for the current year. I soon got tired of coming in from work to a cold house and having to start the fire and wait for it to get up to heat only for it to be bed time. Next morning it's down to a cold room again and all that lovely heat and fire has gone. My uncle runs his woodburner as the primary heat source and once it's fired up it's rarely left to go out. Radiators are hardly used but he burns an absolute **** load of wood - luckily he's in the business of cutting trees down so it's free. I also know someone who uses his winter fuel allowance to buy coal for his stove and that just about does him for the colder months.

I see no point in firing them up for the few hours of a day that'll you be in the house/in front of it unless it's for effect and not your primary heat source. Fire it up and keep it going, even at low output - build heat into your rooms, walls, house. Granted I don't have any neighbours so I'm not getting any heating effect from them of those sides of the house. But even still, I've been thinking about extending the gas central heating downstairs into the front room as the costs of running multi-fuel stoves as primary heat source aren't all that attractive.

IMHO, of course :)

it is only worth it if you have a free source of logs, and indeed running them on coal isn't the point at all. I probably burn 5 tonnes of logs a year usually and that was closer to 10 tonnes in the last house. But they are free and I get the house far warmer, simply means we use the heating far less in the winter than we would otherwise.

thats definitely making life hard for yourself!!

Simply most things can be done but its down to cost, I assume this cavity the gas flue goes up isn't an actual brick chimney? If its not then forget it because the twin walled pipes aren't insulating enough to run them in anything else. You can get twin wall solid pipes for that kind of application but when you see the cost you will realise its a bad idea. If there is room for at minimum a 5" flue then it might be more realistic but the space may be an issue. Personally in that situation i'd have a larger hearth and a small stove in front of the fireplace. It will heat the room far better and be far easier to connect up and maintain.

Thanks Alex & Doc... I thought it was going to be something like that.. Only feasible spot would be with the flue running the same route through the cavity as the old gas one did, no brick chimney. I could put a larger hearth in and sit it in front but that wouldn't solve the flue problem.

It was for pleasant suplementary heating in the winter. Our house is a nightmare to keep warm when it's cold and it would be great to have a nice log burner to fire up as and when..

Ah well.... I'll stop wittering on to the wife about it then!!! :/

Edited by Vipa

Earlier I rubbished the boffins and their global warming rubbish.

It's been announced today that the summer of 2011 has been the coldest for 18 years.

Remember, the whole global warming thing talks about 'mean' temperatures around the globe. The British Isles as well as being an island so helped to stay warmer by the surrounding waters, are also kept artificially warm by the north atlantic currents which bath our emerald isles in warm water originating in the Gulf of Mexico, the same warm water haets the air above it and blows us with warm air too. This whole conveyor is driven by salinity. It has long been held that if global temperatures rise causing the ice caps to melt, that will reduce the salinity near the arctic circle and 'stall' or at least potentially move the gulf stream so it no longer hits us or warms us. Remember, we have a similar latitude to Hudson Bay... OK, we don't have a huge continental landmass to push the temperatures down but our position on the globe itself should mean our climate is a lot colder than it actually is.

Therefore, one impact of global warming could actually be falling average temperatures in britain and a move to more seasonal based weather, i.e. warm wet summers and cold winters, as opposed to our relatively steady temperate climate enjoyed for the past couple of decades.

I'm on the fence with regards to the whole global warming thing BUT... I don't see how, if you count the millions cars on the roads, the planes in the sky, the factories on the ground etc.. etc.. all burning fossil fuels and belching out lots of climate unfriendly gasses over the lat 100-150 years, we can't have had a negative impact on the environment.

I have seen reports saying that cows produce more CO2 and Methane than humans... probably quite true but humans have still added on top of that what they have produced for over 100 years... I just can't accept that we haven't had an impact!

Edited by Vipa

The recent volcanic eruptions in Iceland has negated every single effort we have made to combat toxic emmissions in the last five years, so it makes our green policy a joke.

And remember there are over 200 active volcanoes in the world spewing out these emmissions every day.

Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines erupted in 1991 and was active for over a year, in that time it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the human race had emitted in our entire years on earth.

Blaming us or cows is an excuse, all they want is the green taxes they have foisted on us.

And the last report I saw on the Gulf stream was that it had changed course and was now much further south and missing us.

From appx the 1950s to 1980s the experts claimed that we were entering a mini ice age, then we had a succession of mild winters, and so global warming was born.

These troughs or seasons have been with us for thousands of years, but now we have to listen to the armchair experts, and pay our green taxes, gracefuly.

The recent volcanic eruptions in Iceland has negated every single effort we have made to combat toxic emmissions in the last five years, so it makes our green policy a joke.

And remember there are over 200 active volcanoes in the world spewing out these emmissions every day.

Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines erupted in 1991 and was active for over a year, in that time it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the human race had emitted in our entire years on earth.

Blaming us or cows is an excuse, all they want is the green taxes they have foisted on us.

And the last report I saw on the Gulf stream was that it had changed course and was now much further south and missing us.

From appx the 1950s to 1980s the experts claimed that we were entering a mini ice age, then we had a succession of mild winters, and so global warming was born.

These troughs or seasons have been with us for thousands of years, but now we have to listen to the armchair experts, and pay our green taxes, gracefuly.

Well said :yes:

Sun Causes Climate Change Shock

I have a Morso Squirrel in a new build house but luckily the builder installed a clay lined class 1 flue so we were able to have a stove. We use it mainly on those really cold days in the house and run it all day but perhaps only burn a ton of wood a year. Expensive luxury but nice to sit in front of.