Crayfishing pt 2

PhilR

I'd like to thank Bruno22rf as he gave me details of a nice crayfishing spot he'd found :good: . He showed me where it was last night and I dropped my net in with half a rabbit carcass inside, I returned this morning to collect the net and discovered that I'd got a haul of 164 little critters which weighed in at 5.2kg :yes:

Here's a couple of pics after purging and boiling them. It was like playing toy soldiers all over again, I'd got them all nicely lined up in rows by size until I ran out of worktop space, Mrs PhilR got fed up with me messing about and took over the management of them :huh:

Edited by PhilR

I'd like to thank Bruno22rf as he gave me details of a nice crayfishing spot he'd found :good: . He showed me where it was last night and I dropped my net in with half a rabbit carcass inside, I returned this morning to collect the net and discovered that I'd got a haul of 164 little critters which weighed in at 5.2kg :yes:

Here's a couple of pics after purging and boiling them. It was like playing toy soldiers all over again, I'd got them all nicely lined up in rows by size until I ran out of worktop space, Mrs PhilR got fed up with me messing about and took over the management of them :huh:

Good result there Phil :good: , was it just a net or a trap.

I can just see Mary's toes in the picture is the big toe on her left foot bandaged? did one of the critters give her a nip? :lol:

You just need to repeat the exercise now on the pigeons :lol: .

A big thanks to Bruno :good: for letting us know about the site,(PW at it's very best) I may have to make contact and go up there with my grandson before the schools go back

Hope to see you soon

Terry

Edited by bakerboy

Good result there Phil :good: , was it just a net or a trap.

I can just see Mary's toes in the picture is the big toe on her left foot bandaged? did one of the critters give her a nip? :lol:

You just need to repeat the exercise now on the pigeons :lol: .

A big thanks to Bruno :good: for letting us know about the site,(PW at it's very best) I may have to make contact and go up there with my grandson before the schools go back

Hope to see you soon

Terry

Just a single net. Yep it's bandaged as she's losing the nail, I keep offering to pull it off for her :o

Pigeons at the moment are non existent, closely followed by corvids. I hope the farmer thinks I'm doing a wonderful job in keeping them clear :lol:

I'll be back in the UK on 5th Sept, a meet up is due.

Just a single net. Yep it's bandaged as she's losing the nail, I keep offering to pull it off for her :o

Pigeons at the moment are non existent, closely followed by corvids. I hope the farmer thinks I'm doing a wonderful job in keeping them clear :lol:

I'll be back in the UK on 5th Sept, a meet up is due.

Well done Phil

I look forward to meeting up as soon as.

Terry

Good effort!!

Now show us what you turn it all into.

:good:

Well, as we're off to sunny France in the morning I've turned them into lumps of ice in the freezer :lol:

We usually have them with a salad or stirred into pasta after being given a blast in a hot pan with garlic butter :) Yum :yes:

If ever your out again I wouldnt mind tagging along to see what it's all about,caught a few from local canals accidentally but thats all

atb Jim

As PhilR is off on hols now ack-ack I hope you dont mind me butting in-he used a net crayfish trap bought from a local fishing tackle shop-the type with 2 funnel entrances-inside was a piece of Rabbit.

Must have been massive to get 164 of them in it!!!! I'm definitely going to have a go at this.

Is this a 365 day of the year past time?

If ever your out again I wouldnt mind tagging along to see what it's all about,caught a few from local canals accidentally but thats all

atb Jim

If you have caught a few in the canal, just get a net, bait it with old bacon,fish fingers or fish offal and drop it in the canal it is as easy as that.

If you have caught a few in the canal, just get a net, bait it with old bacon,fish fingers or fish offal and drop it in the canal it is as easy as that.

What are these beasts like for toxin accumulation. I could gladly eat them all day long from some spring fed babbling brook but I don't know whether I'd feel as enthusiastic scoffing a load from the local canal. Are they like trout in as much as they taste according to the water they were fished from?

What are these beasts like for toxin accumulation. I could gladly eat them all day long from some spring fed babbling brook but I don't know whether I'd feel as enthusiastic scoffing a load from the local canal. Are they like trout in as much as they taste according to the water they were fished from?

Place them in clean water for a few hours to purge them, and away you go.

By the time you have a bit of Garlic or Chilli on them or even Mayonnaise and some good Bread around them, they taste great. I have never noticed any other taste then a Prawn/ Lobster/Shellfish taste, but normally I have a had a beer or wine before hand anyway, so that always helps.

Do you need a fishing license as well as a licence from NE to catch crayfish? And can you do it on any canal or do you have to have the fishing rights?

No license required as long as the nets are not left unattended.

You can fish on any canal, not sure about rivers but the Anglers will be pleased to see them gone, may be worth conatcting the local clubs, they will also know the hot spots.

I am pretty sure that if you use a crayfish trap at all, whether attended or otherwise you still need the permit. It is defined in law as a "fixed engine" as opposed to a drop net or a line, and that where the distinction lies.

Traps require a permit. :yes:

Drop nets do not. :no:

I think the trap part is a bit of a grey area. :hmm: