Shotgun cleaning

esox

Hello all, first post so please be nice.......Just getting back into shooting clays after a 20 year gap, i need some info re cleaning the gun after use. Would i be better buying one of the "kits" avaible with all the bits and pieces you need or is it a better option to buy the items seperatly ?????. If bought seperatly what would i need to get ????. Thanks in advance.

When you have the kit or bits and peices - this is a suitable procedure. Others may have their preferred way of doing things - but this one works well:

Shotgun Cleaning Procedure:

Remove the barrel/s and clean up any loose residue around the chamber, in the action, or under the ejectors. Use a toothbrush, cotton bud, or feather to access these areas. Wipe any residue oil way, and replace oil in working parts sparingly, and wipe excess away. Check, clean and oil the fore-end mechanical parts as needed.

Taking the barrel/s pass a patch through using a split jag or wire loop to remove loose powder and residues. A bristle or nylon brush may be used at this first pass stage if available.

View the barrels canted slightly sideways, and preferably not in strong light, ( dusk is a good time, otherwise all you see are halos of shining light that obscure what you are looking for). Look for remaining residue, streaks and grey areas.

Use some bore cleaner to soften any hard residue. Spray it in and roll the barrel around to coat the inside and leave it to work for a few minutes.

Then brush vigorously the full barrel length with the Bronze wire brush, or the Spiral wire brush.

Patch out and observe again.

If there are still grey streaks or areas this is plastic or lead fouling and needs to be worked over again until it is no longer to be seen, brushing and patching each time.

When you are happy the barrels are clean, then pass a single stroke with the wool mop with some gun oil on it to leave a film of oil inside the barrels to stop corrosion.

Wipe the gun down with an oily rag to take off any sweat on the action, and store barrels down to drain oil away from the wood.

The shot cleans the barrels.

I was a cleaning fanatic when I first started shooting, returning the gun to like new condition after every use.

I soon realised that the bores didn't need that much cleaning really, so started doing them every month instead or two. I use a cordless drill on the end of the cleaning rod, which speeds things up considerably. After two years the bores still come up like new.

I still wiped down the external parts, and the action faces, every use with the correct materials/method/

I find my optibore barrels are harder to clean so I let them soak with Napier gun cleaner for 30 mins, pass through with a patch, re spray with Napier and leave for 10, then put the cleaning rod in a drill and the barrels in a vice covering the barrels in a rag so's not to scratch them (being very careful not to tighten too much) then, on a slow speed, go up and down the barrels with a chamber brush/bore brush for a few mins then push a patch through and repeat until clean and shiny then go down the bore with a mop to leave a coat of oil inside them. Clean and oil ejectors, chokes, exterior of the barrels and lastly the receiver. I then put the gun back together upside down in the cabinet. This is put in basic terms, takes a little longer then it sounds but I like a clean gun.

I find I get streaks just after the chambers but the drill makes light work of them - I'm just tired of scrubbing like a nut case and not getting anywhere with the streaks.

couple of points re gun cleaning for newbies

purchase a "Payne Galwey "brush rather that the normal spiral brushes included in the cleaning kits.

nylon brushes - a toothbrush style is ideal to clean the intricate parts of the action in conjunction with barrel cleaner. 20 years ago you would have been told use an old toothbrush but modern toothbrushes are generally too soft - even before they've been used to clean teeth with so either find a new toothbrush with extra firm/hard bristles or tetra gun do a similar brush( but its twin headed

couple of points re gun cleaning for newbies

purchase a "Payne Galwey "brush rather that the normal spiral brushes included in the cleaning kits.

nylon brushes - a toothbrush style is ideal to clean the intricate parts of the action in conjunction with barrel cleaner. 20 years ago you would have been told use an old toothbrush but modern toothbrushes are generally too soft - even before they've been used to clean teeth with so either find a new toothbrush with extra firm/hard bristles or tetra gun do a similar brush( but its twin headed

I second that on P+G brushes, I have both bore and chamber.

I have all this to come, if anyone isn't too far from me ( Lincoln) would you be willing to show me how to clean a shotgun properly ? :)

There are some fairly good vids of how to do it on youTube, but I will be happy to show you how I was taught to clean my guns, when you get your gun. Alternatively, if you get the gun from a dealer, they will show you. Otherwise, if you shoot clays at Blyton, Alan will take you through the whole process. :good: