.22 and .17 HMR Moderators

ellebarto

I've been struggling to find the right moderator for my HMR, which I know is a tough task but my latest test was an expensive LEI. this is great for it's size but no where near as good as the SAK I started with. I'm getting sick of variations for what is essentially a one for one swap and then someone suggested I just use the SAK moderator from my .22 for both rifles.

Now thread wise they fit but I had it in mind that they were calibre specific. Well I certainly wouldn't put the LEI from the HMR on the .22. Can someone just fill me in on how this works? Can I put my .22 SAK on my HMR?

Maybe I didn't read it correctly or take it in but a SAK has a .22 Hole, there is NO .17 variation as such, exactly the same mod is suitable for the .17.

The SAK is perfectly capable/acceptable on a .17 HMR (or .22WMR) but there may be better.

I have tried loads of mods on these and always been disappointed, even cf mods on them, thats why I stick to SAK, as good as any and a good price.

I am yet to try, or get any detailed personal reviews of the Third Eye Mods which seem interesting, over barrel options, calibre specific, vaguely sensible money and work well (according to them). :hmm:

Why don't you get a dm80 with the interchangeable baffle stacks in noth .17 and .22 calibre, over barrel type, very well made, quiet, easy to strip, pm me, and I will give you dave mercers contact details if you want!

yes one of the best I have found

But IF you are using a 22 on a .17 just remember to clean it well as the .22 is a dirty round and will clog up the mod quicker than a .17

Why don't you get a dm80 with the interchangeable baffle stacks in noth .17 and .22 calibre, over barrel type, very well made, quiet, easy to strip, pm me, and I will give you dave mercers contact details if you want!

I have to say the DM80 was probably the best I have used on the HMR (JUST) but it was also the biggest and heaviest by far, not cheap but not outrageous!

That was certainly 2 maybe 3 years ago, things may have changed.

This is one reason why I am interested in the Third Eye, interchangeable baffle stacks in both .17 and .22 calibre, over barrel variations, smaller and lighter than the DM80, vaguely sensible money and works well (according to them).

BUT I am yet to try or hear any first hand views!

There is no reason why you could not use a .22 calibre specific mod on your 17HMR :yes: but you should not use a calibre specific 17HMR mod on your .22 as you are likely to have a nasty misshap :oops: ! I would think that the majority of us 17HMR users opt for the SAK mod which is designed to be used on a .22LR - They are cheap and easy to strip and clean and they do a pretty good job, maybe not as good as a 17HMR calibre specific mod but good enough for most shooting! :yes:

If you really do want to use calibre specific mods for both guns get one that you can change the baffles in so that you can have the best of both worlds (Whatever you do make sure that you fit the .22 baffle stack before you take it from your HMR and use it on your .22LR) but I suspect that there would be little difference in performance between that and a standard SAK mod - Except the price!

The DM80 mods are highly recommended and you will find Dave Mercer extremely helpful! :good:

Slightly varying on this topic but related,

I have a SAK on my 22lr which is fine with Subsonics,

But with normal/high velocity 22lr rounds seems to make little difference, Is there a Much more effective Moderator for normal/hv rounds ?

NO! Not that I have found yet, and any mod, at best, is only likely to be Marginally better! :good: