.17hmr and .22 hornet

Matt Gould

hello can some one help me im thining of buying a .22 hornet and would just like to know how far they can kill rabbits and how they explode rabbits compared to the hmr i currently own a .17hmr and love it it just stuggles in the wind a bit. wondering if a .22hornet would be a worth while purchase to work along side my .17hmr

how far can the hornet shoot compared to the hmr ?

Effective range is governed by the shooter more than the calibre however add at least 50 yds to the effective vermin range as a rule of thumb only. I don't see the HMR as a foxer personally so 100% further with the Hornet

hello can some one help me im thining of buying a .22 hornet and would just like to know how far they can kill rabbits and how they explode rabbits compared to the hmr i currently own a .17hmr and love it it just stuggles in the wind a bit. wondering if a .22hornet would be a worth while purchase to work along side my .17hmr

it will be factory brought ammo carnt be ***** with reloding to be honest :lol:

If you are not reloading stay away from Hornet. To be effective it is a reloader's calibre.

Thats a fair point as regards price and versitility of ammo. However it still burns frugal amounts of powder and is the best of all centrefires for moderation and recoil is about on par with hmr. twice as much powder in the .223 means twice as hard to moderate the blast.

Generally speaking I'm the first to say that a Hornet is a mile better than a HMR but in your case I don't think it is. For a start factory ammo is limited and expensive, if your gun doesn't like the ammo you can get hold of then you have a serious problem. It's a reloaders dream but a factory's nightmare! I also wouldn't have a Hornet and a HMR. I don't see the point as they're quite similar in some ways.

I suggest you look at the .223. Yes it's a harder round to moderate and yes it could be over powered for your needs but it's very easy to feed with factory ammo. The choices are endless.

If you're 100% sure that you don't want to reload then I'm 99% sure the Hornet isn't the gun for you. :good:

Edited by njc110381

Generally speaking I'm the first to say that a Hornet is a mile better than a HMR but in your case I don't think it is. For a start factory ammo is limited and expensive, if your gun doesn't like the ammo you can get hold of then you have a serious problem. It's a reloaders dream but a factory's nightmare! I also wouldn't have a Hornet and a HMR. I don't see the point as they're quite similar in some ways.

I suggest you look at the .223. Yes it's a harder round to moderate and yes it could be over powered for your needs but it's very easy to feed with factory ammo. The choices are endless.

If you're 100% sure that you don't want to reload then I'm 99% sure the Hornet isn't the gun for you. :good:

realy helpful advice from your guys on here think im gonna keep to just the hmr