bullet seating

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the minimum I can get away seating the bullet

the problem with seating bullets a lot lesss than caliber dia is that the bullet may tip in the case and not be presed concentric in the case neck,its a case of suck it and see,but what are you trying to achieve

Not trying to achieve anything really just started reloading .243 and the bullets (60gr sierra hp) are seated at the minimum oal. Shooting inch groups of the wing mirror of the car. Just having a play to see what happens with accuracy before I start increasing powder. And while I'm on about powder. I'm loading 30grains of reloader 7 powder. when I increase the powder measure how much do I increase it by. Half a grain at a time????

Not trying to achieve anything really just started reloading .243 and the bullets (60gr sierra hp) are seated at the minimum oal. Shooting inch groups of the wing mirror of the car. Just having a play to see what happens with accuracy before I start increasing powder. And while I'm on about powder. I'm loading 30grains of reloader 7 powder. when I increase the powder measure how much do I increase it by. Half a grain at a time????

RL 7 isnt the powder for a 243 mateyou wont even get the case half full change to Vit 140

Its what the bloke in kranks sold me.

Well you know not to take his advice again :rolleyes: N150 should work fine at that weight or N160 when you get up to 70grn plus bullets. Hogdens varget is perhaps the most versitle in the calibre but or H4350 or H4895 are also commonly used.

As regards your other questions, stop reloading now till someone shows you how, i don't want to come across rude but if you don't understand working up a load or how to find the lands and were you should be safe in relation to them your on dangerous territory. It aint difficult and i would do it myself for you but we are a fair way appart, taking a punt is not what we do when re-loading

I use reloader 7 in my 222 & reloader 17 in my 260ai. (243 case necked up to 6.5mm) but don't know if it's suited to 243 weight heads?

Reloader 7 in your 243 isn't going to work properly as Ackley said

Try Varget or Vit 140

As for seating depths all depends on your rifle what it's says in reloading manuals isn't gospel,

Use a dummy case on a AOL gauge to determine what length the bullet is touching the lands the decide on weather to drop back .10tho or more and see if that improves your group. Increase weight 0.5 grains at a time or even 0.3 depends how much you want to load up.

Also load testing off a wing mirror is a waste of time and ammo, get on the floor or something stable and test them not something that rocks with the wind or movement

Hang on. As much as I appreciate the advice and knowledge you all have including ackley (as I see it he has no reason to bull **** me) it works. It shoots better groups then the factory ammo and theirs less recoil. I was just going to have a tinker with what markbivvy helped me with. I'm not bothered about shooting sub 1/2inch groups that's why i shot of the wing mirror because 99% of my shots are taken from the wing mirror. Please take this in the most polite way I'm not been a cock. Thanks

If you are happy with your groups to date continue with rel 7 , it's a waste of money (£40 ish) just to go and buy another tub of powder when you still have a practically full tub of R7, Continue on your quest using 1/2 grain increments until you find the best grouping for yourself then try another type when you buy the next tub.

Hang on. As much as I appreciate the advice and knowledge you all have including ackley (as I see it he has no reason to bull **** me) it works. It shoots better groups then the factory ammo and theirs less recoil. I was just going to have a tinker with what markbivvy helped me with. I'm not bothered about shooting sub 1/2inch groups that's why i shot of the wing mirror because 99% of my shots are taken from the wing mirror. Please take this in the most polite way I'm not been a cock. Thanks

Hi mate

no one is having a go just letting you know you have been fed the wrong info and given the wrong powder,yes it may shoot something like but the reason you have less recoil is you probably havnt even got enough powder in the case,

theres a lot that can happen with using the wrong powder

less recoil (as you have found)

lower velocity (not enough powder in the case)

the brass does not seal to the chamber wall

you can use any powder to make a bullet fire but you have to look at the bigger picture that is why there is so many different powders which all burn different

but all said and done if your happy thats all that matters,but all you had to do is look at the alliant web site to see what powder suits

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/reloder7.aspx

Edited by Ackley

There seems to be a myth that the faster the better for clean kills and accuracy ,this is myth and is not true believe me . Some of the best killing shots I have seen on deer Have been taken with a 240 grain soft point bullet through a 44 magnum revolver traveling at about 1500 feet per second ,a moderate speed compared with a rifle ,but instant death to white tail deer and only the occasional shoot through .

I now only use one bullet and use only one powder for all deer and foxes . After all the years of trying out all the powders and all the bullets I have come to realize that the .308 with a 150 grain soft point bullet driven by 45 grains of vit 140 at about 2500 feet per second is with out a doubt the holy grail of stalking rounds .

Harnser .

hi Reggiegun

i acquired it from a friend for free :blush: and updated it for free too :rolleyes:

wouldnt be without it, i ONLY use it as a guide for reference, i find that its velocity is too slow when tested in the real world, but for trying powders and bullets is brilliant.