bullet seating

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a myth that the faster the better for clean kills and accuracy ,this is myth and is not true believe me . Some of the best killing shots I have seen on deer Have been taken with a 240 grain soft point bullet through a 44 magnum revolver traveling at about 1500 feet per second ,a moderate speed compared with a rifle ,but instant death to white tail deer and only the occasional shoot through .

I now only use one bullet and use only one powder for all deer and foxes . After all the years of trying out all the powders and all the bullets I have come to realize that the .308 with a 150 grain soft point bullet driven by 45 grains of vit 140 at about 2500 feet per second is with out a doubt the holy grail of stalking rounds .

Harnser .

where is this "myth" Ive never read it,its horses for courses a varmint caliber needs to be fast and flat,this guys rifle going on the small amount of deatils we have is way way below minimum fps for a 243 so hes loosing a lot of performance,using a 243 with a 60gr bullet should easy see 3700 fps without any problems

as to your "holy grail load" if it works for you thats perfect,but I wouldnt entertain such a lobby load

Thanks guys. I will ask again when I'm nearly out of powder. Thanks again.

if thats what you have decided to do,thats fine but next time "ask" what is suitable and I dont mean the man behiund the counter as they will sell you what they have on the shelf

my advice from years of experience for whats its worth with a 243 is Vit 140 for up to 65gr bullets and Vit 160 for anyhting heavier,I loaded 65gr V max using 45gr of vit 140 of mate it shoot superb,good speed no pressure zeroed at 200 yards good for point and squirt to 300.

again with my experience keep away from Varget as it can cause powder fouling problems

where is this "myth" Ive never read it,its horses for courses a varmint caliber needs to be fast and flat,this guys rifle going on the small amount of deatils we have is way way below minimum fps for a 243 so hes loosing a lot of performance,using a 243 with a 60gr bullet should easy see 3700 fps without any problems

as to your "holy grail load" if it works for you thats perfect,but I wouldnt entertain such a lobby load

So what do you call good performance , from the way you normally write on her I would assume the faster the better . Its just that after many years a sportsman good performance to me is a bullet that kills cleanly and dosent waste power on shooting through to the next county .

Harnser .

So what do you call good performance , from the way you normally write on her I would assume the faster the better . Its just that after many years a sportsman good performance to me is a bullet that kills cleanly and dosent waste power on shooting through to the next county .

Harnser .

"good performence" is finding out the best burning powder for the length of barrel best bullet weight and the best powder charge,no point having a sports car and driving like a saloon,for the record faster isnt better,better is what your kit tell you it likes,hence test test and test again

Harnser .

:stupid: That's a good century between us!

"If it's good for you that's perfect". If that's so, then why not just keep quiet?!

I will confirm that in one of my alliant/hercules books it gives 30,2gr R7 60 gr head gives 3320fps and 54,800psi,

If you look on the alliant site it gives you loads for the 410 of them most use the 410 powder but in the books i have it shows all of the loads using 2400 2 1/2" or 3" , Times change.

Edited by Andy H

I am a fan of Varget and it does very well in .308 size cases, you could look at Newberry's OCW website for an optimal charge for your bullet weight. I do hope you are using a powder scale instead of relying on the measure to be accurate?? The .243 is awesome and accurate, I like the 65 vmax for medium range coyotes(out to 400)

if thats what you have decided to do,thats fine but next time "ask" what is suitable and I dont mean the man behiund the counter as they will sell you what they have on the shelf

my advice from years of experience for whats its worth with a 243 is Vit 140 for up to 65gr bullets and Vit 160 for anyhting heavier,I loaded 65gr V max using 45gr of vit 140 of mate it shoot superb,good speed no pressure zeroed at 200 yards good for point and squirt to 300.

again with my experience keep away from Varget as it can cause powder fouling problems

pray tell how many years of experiance is that?

Why fight it = Hodgon H380 - I use it for 22-250 and a pals 243 -

""This was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when the late Bruce Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22 caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. H380 is also a superb performer in the 220 Swift, 243, 257 Roberts and other fine varmint cartridges. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers."" http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

Oh - maybe you quest for 'accuracy' and AOL = search out about "jump" = the distance the bullet has to "jump" from it's case into the barrel - most 'commercial' rifles are 'over safe' and give a greater 'jump' distance than a bench-rest/target shooter has in their 'custom' barrels .

Whilst I can see the science behind case fill quantity and group size, with my 243's best load you can hear the powder rattling around inside when you shake it!

Anyone who says Varget is a poop powder in 243 / 308 cases wants their head read... It's not great at the heavy 80grn+ stuff agreed, but there are lots of shooters up and down this land who use it to good effect.

I also don't buy the powder fouling internet myth. My other rifle runs on H4895 and there is no cleaning difference between either of them.

back to the original post ? maybe ?

I use this method - but use my cleaning rod =

""Load up a dummy round, long enough to engage the lands, with enough neck tension to hold it in place and also allow it to slide back in the case neck when chambered fully. Kinda like loading a match rifle purposely long to always engage the lands. Take a wooden dowel, square cut on the end of course, and with the muzzle pointing up, slide the dowel down the barrel until it rests against the bullet tip. Mark the dowel, flush with the muzzle, with a fine tipped sharpie line. You may want to use a steel ruler to get a line square with the muzzle. If you do so, just remember to use the steel rule when verifying seating depths with the dowel. Now mark several lines on your dowel at spacings you are wanting to try, off the lands, I.E., .010", .020", etc., up from the original muzzle marking. Now make up a dummy round and seat the bullet to where the dowel lines correspond to the bullet depth. Now measure the dummy round OAL for each of the lines you have on the dowel, and record that. It will take a little trial and error, but in all actuality, once you get the first one done and recorded, you could just use it as a reference for the rest of the sample "distances." You then could use the dowel to see if they are coming out somewhat close. Not exactly scientific, but works, none the less. The most important measurements are the actual fit into the lands, and the first one off the lands, then you can base everything else off of that. Let us know how everything turns out. Also, don't be afraid to try further out than .020", as I had a gentleman swear up and down, recently, that his match rifle shot better groups at .090" off the lands than any distance up to being seated into the lands.""

as my above post - Google the topic and get to understand WHY homeloading WORKS !!

Messing about with powders only CLOUDS what you are trying to do - stick to a known powder weight - adjust the bullet setup to suit your rifle - then 'consider' other bullet types / weights BEFORE messing about with powder makes and loads - You will only go round in circles if you don't !!

Make a list of ALL the loads for 243 that target shooters find work (google) You will soon see a 'pattern' of which direction to move forward in >>>>

Edited by pigeonstool

Whilst I can see the science behind case fill quantity and group size, with my 243's best load you can hear the powder rattling around inside when you shake it!

Anyone who says Varget is a poop powder in 243 / 308 cases wants their head read... It's not great at the heavy 80grn+ stuff agreed, but there are lots of shooters up and down this land who use it to good effect.

I also don't buy the powder fouling internet myth. My other rifle runs on H4895 and there is no cleaning difference between either of them.

Trust me take that a step too far and you will get a very dangerous over pressure, often after shooting that load with no issues previously. All cases perform at thier very best with a good fill

I must need my head looking at then,as I have had 2 243s plus my own rifle suffer from carbon build up in throat even with a good cleaning routine,no one says Varget dosent work but it can cause problems if your not carefull.

It's a myth Alex.. that's why

Made up long ago by some internet armchair shooter, and repeated in the form of Chinese whispers on here.

far from it,its an issue that has been experienced by experiences shooters not those that sit in an arm chair talking about it,if "you" dont shoot much you may never get a problem :rolleyes:

maybe the carbon fouling is more an issue in the AI variants as certainly no issues here in anything I've used it in.

nope seen it in the std 243 as well