Thunderstorms

henry d

Henry

A lad in our club got hit by lightning a few years back down the carbon pole! Serious business, he was with his two lads at the time a tragic situation ,it made the national news, he now fishes with St peter and you are best advised to give it a miss.

On a lighter note I finally get Bo tonight been reamed out to improved and ¼ hope to test her soon on long pigeon!

pavman

I fished once in a small moat near Newcastle as a kid and sheltered under the bridge until the thunder and rain stopped.The fishing had been slow,but after it was brilliant we were pulling in perch on just about every cast.

Another time was at St.Abb`s head,we were below the cliffs and when the weather cleared we were into a shoal of pollack and coalies @ 3/4-1 1/2lb range which was great sport on light spinning gear.

Anyone else ever come across this??

If the temperature remains reasonably high after the storm , the fishing can be good.

However, if there is a big drop in temperature (usually is in the late Summer storms), then it can throw the fishing for a few days.

These comments relate to still waters only.

Rivers tend to have very localised minds of their own. :good:

I have found that if the storm is accompanied by a massive deluge of rain, as they so often are, the sudden drop in water temperature kills the fishing for a day or so. However, if the weather is warm, and a lot of flood water comes through, the fish are REALLY hungry after a couple of days when there is still a bit of mud in the water.

Good fishing!

A good storm and a bit of rain after a warm dry spell will liven up a trout lake no end.

As stated above, it oxygenates the water and gets them on the move again if they have been a bit listless :good:

I agree wholeheartedly, stuart! It can also give you a short spell of fabulous fishing on a river as it starts to lift. The salmon/sea trout seem to know the rain is coming and liven up no end. If the river goes into spate the fishing normally is not so good until the river starts to clear as the level comes down.

The best Bass (the fish you heathens) session I ever had was on Rhossili beach just after a thunderstorm!

Ft