Bit of Advice re Air rifle becoming FAC

ellebarto

I've got a rifle that I want to tweak the power on but I'm a bit unsure about the legality and best way to proceed. I'm a bit wary of approaching my rfd after I saw them keep a gun last week that they chroned at 16 ftlb when it should have been 12 ftlb. Admitedly it appeared to be on purpose and not a mistake.

Basically I have a gun that would make a great FAC rifle. I already have my FAC which doesn't include air. Do I apply for a variation to add on say a few air rifles,tweak the power and then register it as such or does my RFD have to be involved? I've been told once an air rifle has gone FAC they will never let it be considered as anything else?

Any hints or tips would help me!

Do you want to put your SG and any S1 ticket at risk ? then Get your variation first if you are going to do it for sure.

If you THEN tweak it and achieve a level over 12ft/lbs, you'd probably have to notify your Police firearms dept with the make/model/serial number.

Above is what I'd think is sensible and right way to go about things.

If you are found, under a normal firearms/ shotgun check to have an unauthorised FAC air rifle, the police could remove all your guns.

Fac air is quite easy to get. As any knowledgeable FEO knows, its a safer weapon than a 22 rimfire, 'pound for pound'.

Get a variation first, this depends on your permission and cert.

I have an FAC air and my FEO said I would not need it as I have a .22 rimfire. I havent filled the slot and rarely use the rimfire these days - not many rabbits about, and I find it dangerous (ricochets), besides the .223 accounts for the odd one for the pot when out foxing.

An FAC air rifle doesn't have to be over 12ftlb, so you can register a gun and then take it over the limit.

I uprated a TX200 once and when I wanted to hand in my licence I derated it but I don't think they allow FAC air rifles to be taken back off ticket anymore so you may struggle to sell them later. You are better to buy an off the shelf FAC version from the off.

I would imagine that you would need the variation first then get a dealer to up the power and register the gun as a Firearm.Dont understand your post,sitsinhedges,how can an Airgun be an FAC graded gun if its under 12ft/lb?

Because an FAC air rifle doesn't have a minimum power level, it's the non FAC ones that have a maximum power level after which they have to be registered. This isn't the same thing.

People have been known to put their sub 12 air rifles on ticket because of the fear of them inadvertently straying over the limit and leaving the owner open to prosecution.

Edited by sitsinhedges

I've got a rifle that I want to tweak the power on but I'm a bit unsure about the legality and best way to proceed. I'm a bit wary of approaching my rfd after I saw them keep a gun last week that they chroned at 16 ftlb when it should have been 12 ftlb. Admitedly it appeared to be on purpose and not a mistake.

Basically I have a gun that would make a great FAC rifle. I already have my FAC which doesn't include air. Do I apply for a variation to add on say a few air rifles,tweak the power and then register it as such or does my RFD have to be involved? I've been told once an air rifle has gone FAC they will never let it be considered as anything else?

Any hints or tips would help me!

Tecnically one a firearm always a firearm unless correctly deactivated but some areas see it different. Finantialy a bad idea. Generally you could sell a quality air rifle at 12 ft lb and buy an FAC one of the same quality and type for way less second hand almost approching 1/2 the price . Why pay extra to have it FAC'd and have its value further reduced when you could sell it and buy another and pocket a wedge of cash

Tecnically one a firearm always a firearm unless correctly deactivated but some areas see it different. Finantialy a bad idea. Generally you could sell a quality air rifle at 12 ft lb and buy an FAC one of the same quality and type for way less second hand almost approching 1/2 the price . Why pay extra to have it FAC'd and have its value further reduced when you could sell it and buy another and pocket a wedge of cash

My thoughts exactly.

In my case I have a Dutch mate who is an engineer. The plan is (based on advice received above) apply for 2 slots for PCP FAC air on my licence, he brings over an airforce condor he has fettled and refined and possibly fettles my BSA Ultra to be FAC.

I guess I just then fill in a registration form and send it off? How much are variation snow? Do I need one per slot or just one variation for the 2 slots?

Why? Is this just going to be a repeat of the .17 .22 debate or is there something different with those calibers at FAC?

It's all about flat trajectory versus knock down power. The benefit of FAC is that you get the flatter trajectory and the knock down power all in one but you need .22 or .25 to get the best of it or all you will get is overpenetration and wasted energy.

I have been reading this topic with interest as i have a pre anti tamper aa s400.

I know how to turn the power up on it but im unsure how to add it to my ticket.

I have a slot for fac air but thought that it would have to be a registered firearm,{by a gunshop or dealer}.

Is this correct or can i just send the name and serial number to the firearms dept and ask them to add it to my ticket. :good:

As for .177 for fac i think that nobody uses them because the increased power deform's the pellet's skirt. This and the light weight make them unstable in flight. :no:

Someone with more knowlege will be able to tell you more probably.

I would keep your variable energy Air to yourself at 12 lbs and get one from a reg dealer.

Uness you can 'sell' it to the dealer and him 'sell' it back as FAC air ?

Once 'sold' back to you the serial number would be on your cert and I would think the gun could not be 'deactivated' to non FAC without a bit of a 'rumpus'. Worth asking a good dealers advice, in the third person. " I have a mate who has a variable and wants to sell it to me etc,

I would, along no doubt with others, be keen to hear how you get on.

Good luck

Edited by Kes

Why?

Because diablo skirted pellets tend to loose accuraccy once you take them over 1000 fps, certainly once they turn supersonic. Your only going to be able to get another 150 fps or so over a 12ftlb gun so why bother.

.22 FAC guns preffer the heavier pellets and .25 cal is not too bad a choice IF you can easy lay your hands on Ammo it likes. The ideal is a .22 running about the same speed as a 12ft lb .177, it gives less drop than an off ticket .177 (due to better ballistics) and way less windage and is eminantly useable to 50yds without holding under or over, in the right hands a bit further but then you need to ask why as a .22lr is certainly its superiour in every respect other than safety zones