10 men 1 very large rat

Davyo

Some friend & i where having a cleaning up day on their flight pond(10 men) of which 2 where in the water with wadders.Matty spotted a large brown shape in the reeds.Anyhow he waded over to give it a poke with the rake like you do,(bad idea) no one was paying much attension when all of a sudden he screamed like a girl & legged it followed by Bri.Then once everyone spotted it we all legged it. To cut a long story short Curly had the 410 and went back looking for this thing & shot it.We called the local authorities who passed it onto DEFRA, this rat like thing when it was measured was 32inch's from snout to the base of the tail (the tail an add 16inch's)turned out to be a Coypu.

Apparently DEFRA said they are not native but wher introduced to the UK (south England)around thr 1930's and bred for fur like the Mink.Anyhow i certainly wont be sitting in the dark waiting for the teal.

I used to live in the Broads where coypu were common place before the eradication project killed them all off. Most days I would anything up to a dozen swimming past the windows. They are quite harmless and I always welcomed them on the shoot as they were very good at clearing rushes from over grown ditches which would attract duck.

I could never understand why they were so hated. Yes they did a little damage to crop margins next to the water , but compared with rabbits it was a drop in the ocean. True they sometimes dug into the river banks , but I never saw anything serious.

In my younger days we used go out and shoot coypu for the bounty on them . We used to get 1 shilling per tail from the local council office . They were soon classed as pests because of the damage that they used to do burrowing into the river banks . They are a totally harmless rodent and the meat was delicious as they were totally vegetarian . The females had their teats on their backs and could suckle their young while swimming .

It was decided that they should be eradicated and it took about 30 years to do this . Traps were set along side water ways in Norfolk and were usually baited with sugar beet . When trapped the trappers would shoot them with a .22 pistol whilst still in the trap . In later years I used to shoot wildfowl on the Norfolk broads and used to let them out of the traps when I found them . Another useless piece of information from old Harnser .

Harnser .

Seen a coypu in lake garda seemed harmless was only about half a meter away watched it eat for about ten minutes

Watch a program on national geographics called aliens invade. They are taking over America Europe and north Asia! they are highly invasive, the destroy wetland which then in turn kills the natural species. Whoever they are highly endangered in their natural Peru.

In Florida the swat teams train nightly but sniping them. In the wet lands in Maryland the Coypu nearly cleared 1million acres before they were controlled.

If I see 1 I will have a new hat and I would encourage you all to do the same! I love pike fishing on the broads and want to keep going!