First gun...

rabbit_stu

Hi guys,

Im in the process of applying for my FAC and if all goes well will be looking to purchace my first rifle. as i've mainly done air rifle shooting and a little research into wants around im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Im mainly looking to shoot rabbits, with the occasional squirrle or covid as they come into sights, but not as a primary.

so whats out there? i like the idea of magazine fed, bolt action over semi-auto but not really sure of the pro's and con's of this. what about caliber too?

thanks in advance

For a first rifle for Rabbits, Corvids Etc (Vermin) I would be looking at either a .22LR or a 17HMR mate, they both do the job well! They both have their advantages and disadvantages, which has all bee covered in many other threads so I will not go into that again.

I would suggest a bolt action rather than a semi auto as a B/A is generally more accurate than a semi even though a semi auto might sound more like a "fun gun".

CZs would be a good make to start looking at and do both a .22lr and a 17HMR. The both of them are very reliable rifles and reasonably priced but the choice of makes and models of .22lr and 17HMR is a minefield and much of it is down to personal preference.

Just a quick "advisory" note, (Please don't take this as me "having a go at you") If you are going to use any FAC rated rifle for corvids, pigeons or squirrels be very aware of the dangers of shooting up into trees without a safe backstop mate, your FEO will not smile at you if you make a habbit of doing it! There is no substitute for Gun Safety and once an "accident" has happened with a firearm it is too late, you can not "unhappen it" - Think gun safety at all times and enjoy your shooting whatever rifle you go for. Good luck in your application! :good:

OR put in for SGC at the time as FAC and you can pick up a shotgun for where .22LR isnt suitable or if you fancy taking some on the wing. For the extra £10 its well worth it even if you never buy a shotgun, it allows you to borrow a shotgun for 72 hours. Squirrels in trees and corvid/pigeon on the wing then shotgun is the tool and great to use also You can get moderated .410 that are ideal for small areas and quiet or with a 12 bore you can roost shoot straight up into the tree! Take them as they fly

OR put in for SGC at the time as FAC and you can pick up a shotgun for where .22LR isnt suitable or if you fancy taking some on the wing. For the extra £10 its well worth it even if you never buy a shotgun, it allows you to borrow a shotgun for 72 hours. Squirrels in trees and corvid/pigeon on the wing then shotgun is the tool and great to use also You can get moderated .410 that are ideal for small areas and quiet or with a 12 bore you can roost shoot straight up into the tree! Take them as they fly

Good point! :good:

Stu, do yourself a favour and get yourself a 17hmr, even though the ammo is not cheap the advantages the cartridge has over the 22Lr is worth it.

The extra legs are a real bonus allowing you to easily take small varmints out to 150yd, especially crows, you have to be pretty good at stalking to get close enough to deliver fatal shot on a crow with a 22lr, i have never been able to get closer then 70yds.

Ian.

if you havnt sent it off already look at a coterminous license not much more and you can get shotgun and firearms that run out at same time get best both worlds. regarding gun the majority of ppl start of with a 22 rf (some dont they go straight for 17hmr before anyone corrects me lol) but 22rf cheap to feed bolt action or semi is down to personal prefrence google it put in 22rf semi auto or bolt action a good bet and ul get loadsa info specialy american sites they love it, ive heard some semi autos wont cycle certain makes of bullets but i had a brno bolt action that wouldnt cycle cci rounds

Stu, do yourself a favour and get yourself a 17hmr, even though the ammo is not cheap the advantages the cartridge has over the 22Lr is worth it.

The extra legs are a real bonus allowing you to easily take small varmints out to 150yd, especially crows, you have to be pretty good at stalking to get close enough to deliver fatal shot on a crow with a 22lr, i have never been able to get closer then 70yds.

Ian.

Forget trying to stalk crows, you can stalk in a bit with a 4x4 but on foot one glimpse and they are gone. HMR is a good round, less likely to ricochet and as Vermincinerator says they are good for 150 yards on crows, he knows he has had one and shot more than an occasional crow and magpie with it, Just dont try to nail foxes at the distance with it though. Best way with crows is to take them whenever you get the opportunity, I find early morning by far the best time. As they are hungry that are a tad lax on avoidance.

A

I see a lot of Bigger better, get a HMR it is better than a .22lr type posts, and I always wonder why?

The .22lr, HMR and WMR (even the 17mk2...do they still make them?) are DIFFERENT!

One is NOT better than the other, they serve different purposes and some may find one or other of the rifles serves their purpose best, it doesn't make it a better rifle it makes it a different one!!

If you are struggling with long range bunnies forget all of them and buy a centrefire...they are better :yes::lol::lol::lol::lol::good::good:

ATB!

In many respects it depends on what you are going to do with the bunnies you shoot. If you want them for the pot then bear in mind that the HMR will turn them into mush. Being balistic tipped the far side of the target has so much damage done to it that the meat is virtually worthless. I use a CZ455 in .22 and even then there is significant damage to the head, fortunately we don't eat that part.

In many respects it depends on what you are going to do with the bunnies you shoot. If you want them for the pot then bear in mind that the HMR will turn them into mush. Being balistic tipped the far side of the target has so much damage done to it that the meat is virtually worthless. I use a CZ455 in .22 and even then there is significant damage to the head, fortunately we don't eat that part.

Dissagree Uncle Albert, i shot a lot of rabbits with the 17HMR V-max, all chest and head shot and they were not turned to mush, quite the contrary actually, most of the time the exit wound would only be found after skinning.

There was always plenty of bruising of the rib cage but meat damage was minimal.

Ian.