wildfowling

ed boo

hi everyone i was wondering if any one can help i no this question mite of been asked a hundred times before it is my first season wildfowling and was looking at the new river west eider jacket and the big overalls i think there called is there anyone that has them and could let is no if they are worth buying or will it be better going for something a bit cheaper that does the same job as will be only using them a handful of times a year any info well be greatly appreciated

thanks again

Whatever is waterproof, keeps you warm and is a drab colour. Ten of thousands of wildfowl were shot on the foreshore by folk wearing wax cotton jackets and black rubber thigh waders, so the latest hi tech camo gear is not an essential must have to successfully enjoy your sport.

What doe we think of the Cabelas waterfowling kit?

Been having a look and it seems very good value for money?

just been looking at the cabelas range of waterfowling gear and it looks good better range of camo colors if only there was dealers around where i live i would be tempted to go with them

Whatever is waterproof, keeps you warm and is a drab colour. Ten of thousands of wildfowl were shot on the foreshore by folk wearing wax cotton jackets and black rubber thigh waders, so the latest hi tech camo gear is not an essential must have to successfully enjoy your sport.

Agree with the above

After my Eider getting damaged badly I went back to using my 40quid wax jacket from yorkshire clothing company, it works a treat

But the Eider coat is worth the money, I would get another if o had enough spare doe

Cabela's MT050® Whitetail Extreme™ Scent-Lok® Parka

I am so lucky to have been treat to one of these, plus the trousers by an American guest of mine who come over from Montana and stayed with us 2 weeks for some sight seeing and pigeon shooting.

He doesn't want to come and have a look around Brighton and the South East does he? :lol:

I went out on Kirton marsh on the Wash this morning in some Lidl pvc waders that cost £9.99p, a pair of overalls, a fleece and a cheap camo coat. I dont think its what you wear its the getting out there enjoying it and being safe. :good:

If I had spent £500 on clothes I would not shoot any better and it would not help to bring more fowl in. :no::lol:

I should rather spend another few hundred on the clothes to keep me warm and comfortable than the same amount extra on a gun. I think the rivers west stuff is awesome and purely from the fact that i can chuck it through the wash dry cycle and go out again the next day makes it worthwhile. I come from a time before breathable shooting gear was widely available and would never wish to go back to the wax jackets that froze up solid in winter and when they got realy wet they stayed that way for about a week. I have a pair of Cabalas brethable waders they are fine but watch the hidden costs of importation like the £8 paselforce fee etc. better placing a big order with a few mates imo :good:

I dont spend high a mount of money on shooting clothes to be honest, some of it is ok if you want to be a model on the foreshore :lol:

When its really cold I have a set of Mataland thermals, pair of joggers and my water proof leggings over the top.

On top I would wear my thermal top, a jumper and then my waterproof jacket

i do suffer with cold feet and no matter what i cant seem to keep them warm, but i wear a pair of ski socks with the neoprene socks over them, gloves and a hat or Balaclova.

Depending where im shooting its wellies or neopreane waders

I should rather spend another few hundred on the clothes to keep me warm and comfortable than the same amount extra on a gun. I think the rivers west stuff is awesome and purely from the fact that i can chuck it through the wash dry cycle and go out again the next day makes it worthwhile. I come from a time before breathable shooting gear was widely available and would never wish to go back to the wax jackets that froze up solid in winter and when they got realy wet they stayed that way for about a week. I have a pair of Cabalas brethable waders they are fine but watch the hidden costs of importation like the £8 paselforce fee etc. better placing a big order with a few mates imo :good:

Just got some stuff from Cabbelas and got stung for the Parcel force "clearance fee" and vat :blush:

Agree with this too, if you want to spend a lot of money safe in the knowledge it's good gear, the Harkila Prohunter jacket and trousers are top notch :good: Whatever you choose i'd say get something that is breathable as you may experience some long walks dependant on where you 'fowl. One of the best coats I have is an ex army goretex which is waterproof and breathable and cost me about £15! with a fleece on underneath I can't fault it.

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the time of year, end of summer can still have some hot nights/days, waders always for me a must no matter what else you wear, i always carried a waterproof jacket in my bag, nowt worse than sitting there wet through when that one lonley rain cloud decides to attach itself to you :lol: , once its colder then you need layers, but not overly thick or it will impede your shooting

Dont think you will get better than the Eider jacket i have had many others which say they are waterproof but they are not the Eider IS waterproof i can assure you been out in -10snowstorm and gales with driving rain etc and never let a drop through best you can get imo i have a pair of Cabelas wildfowling waders which are top drawer nothing beats them in this country thats for sure