DM80 Moderator - .17HMR

ellebarto

I've been swapping and changing moderators on my HMR for 6 months. I love the gun and its accuracy and punch but was struggling to live with the noise shooting at night. I started with a SAK, went to a Wildcat then LEI and I now have an A-Tec and a DM80 to try. Still got a SAK so hoping to go out into the field this weekend and give them a comparison test to see which is best to my own ears.

Have to say I'm a massive fan of the DM80 from a looks and build quality perspective and because its an overbarrel type its actually shorter than the SAK and A-Tec. Ive place them on this picture where they would thread onto the barrel to illustrate.

Anyway, test results to follow.

DM80.jpg

how will you test it? by ear or do you have a device that measures noise levels. how long does it take to remove one and fit the other? i have seen on youtube someone testing noise levels for sound moderator. Because it was on video he could edit out the time in between each shot so it was easyer to tell which one was the quietest.

No mate. I'm applying no science to this and it will be simply down to my judgement and interpretation of the sound. I'll try to put that into words. Not forgetting sound will bounce and absorb differently in different places. Where I plan to test its fairly open fields with some scrub woodland and some dips and hollows in the land. I plan to put a mag through each mod and go by my gut.

Seen a lot of reports quoting decibels for mod's and from experience of just the SAK and the Wildcat I'd say thats not to be trusted!

Just for additional info, the LEI was rubbish, expensive but rubbish. People bang on about them being military grade and dont get me wrong it was the same diameter as my rifle barrel and very short indeed but it gave a very pronouced crack at the muzle.

I've done this test already some time back and with a lot more mods as well, the DM80 will win (JUST), but it is also the biggest and heaviest and it's not cheap either. On a heavy rifle like the one shown I guess the size/weight will not be too much of an issue.

I would like to try the Third Eye 17 mod (over barrel version) which is suggested to be good, but I've not seen or heard one yet!

Anyone got a John Bowket .17HMR Mod? I read about them in a hmr mod review on www.shootinguk.co.uk. Ought to be good with his reputation but I've never seen them mentioned anywhere else.

I need a new mod for my Weihrauch but it has to be an end can. Barrel's not long enough for over barrel.

This kind of comparison test has been done many times, by many people, and the results will always be different depending on the conditions.

I read a number of articles on mods, and IIRC the sound is still around 108dB even moderated, at the normal hearing range, as the round still goes supersonic, what you loose is a lot of the combustion noise.

The best test is as suggested, and allow someone else to use the mod, whilst you stand to one side and listen.

What you get is a perception of sound, as a moderator does exactly what its name suggests, it moderates the sound, in order to move it to a range that the ear, and hopefully that of the intended target, can not pin point the direction of the source.

The only way to really test the sound attenuation is to use an anechoic chamber, and test it across the full decibel range.

For the record I use a DM80 on two of my rifles, and they are excellent modes, and have proven to be very reliable and durable.

Enjoy your testing.

Slightly off topic:

I have just spent a while swapping a Parker Hale and an SAK moderator on my CZ .22 Style. The SAK is quieter - hands down!

I fired into a bank at close range(~10m) and there wasn't much in it (the smack of the impact drowning out everything else), did it again at about 60m and there was a substantial difference. The SAK sounds much softer and less 'tinny', also less of an echo off the surrounding hills.

No fancy equipment, just my ears.

I can tell you now...you wont hear any difference!!!

Ive tried all of them, and I also settled for a dm80 as my choice, why?

because of all the reasons you stated plus the fact that it can be stripped down and cleaned easily.

After you have put 20-30 rounds through it, strip it down and have a look inside, you wont believe how much residue is in there. I wont use any other mods now and will eventually put them on my centre fires too.

You may choose the dm80 for the above reasons, but if you are looking to get a quiter mod......you will be dissapointed!!!! :yes:

Iv got a Sak on my HMR and at first i was like yourself was always thinking can the be a moderator out there

which is a bit quieter. And IMHO there isn't especially for night shooting. The fact is the hmr ammo breaks the

sound barrier and where its not as audible in the day, in the still of the night where its a lot more

quieter the little bullet will always sound loud no matter what mod you put on it.

Thats why most say if your doing a lot of night shooting on rabbits, a .22 rim fire will more suited to

your needs due to the quietness of a sub sonic bullet.

DD

because of all the reasons you stated plus the fact that it can be stripped down and cleaned easily.

After you have put 20-30 rounds through it, strip it down and have a look inside, you wont believe how much residue is in there. I wont use any other mods now and will eventually put them on my centre fires too.

You may choose the dm80 for the above reasons, but if you are looking to get a quiter mod......you will be dissapointed!!!! :yes:

Well un-scientific test completed and I've myself exactly here as well. No audible difference really. I kept telling myself the DM80 was better but at the trigger they were identical. My brother positioned 150 yards away over a flat field claims the Crack (I assume going supersonic) was slightly less pronounced with the DM80 with the SAK and a-tec being identical. DM80 will stay on the gun purely because of the quality, look and feel and because it makes the overall length slightly shorter. A litle dissapointed but softening the crack of the HMR seems to be a bit of a Holy Grail thing!!

There's just no way of stopping the crack of the HMR - the DM80 might save you an inch of the overall length, but it's heavy and expensive - you may as well just get a SAK!

I've tried both extensively and there really isn't any noticeable difference in sound reduction - the SAK's only £30 though, and I paid £130 for my DM80!

LEI's are supposed to be good, but can't speak from experience (yet) ;)

I have a CZ 455 .17HMR and a CZ 452 .22LR and tryed loads of different sound mods just like everyone else on here. :yes::hmm: I have now got a DM80 UNIVERSAL sound mod which means I can use the same mod for both my rifles and all i have to do to do so is change the front ring, hence why its called UNIVERSAL. :good::yes: I paid £140.00 this year but 2 sound mods for the price of one :lol:

• 1 month later...

There's just no way of stopping the crack of the HMR - the DM80 might save you an inch of the overall length, but it's heavy and expensive - you may as well just get a SAK!

I've tried both extensively and there really isn't any noticeable difference in sound reduction - the SAK's only £30 though, and I paid £130 for my DM80!

LEI's are supposed to be good, but can't speak from experience (yet) ;)

Just a further note on this - the DM80's apparently get a lot quiter with use, and there are a lot of older models out there still being sold as new. You're better off going through a reputable supplier or directly through Dave (who seems a good guy from my experience) if you're going to get one. On that note at least speak to Dave to clarify the one you're getting is new - I do actually have a newer one as well as an old one and it's vastly superior!

I'm with Bunnydoom on this one. IMO you will never stop the supersonic crack of the HMR. To me its not the initial report of the rifle that scares the bunnies, its the crack as it smashes the sound barrier heading toward its intended target.

I toyed with the idea of trying a different moderator on my hmr but i've stuck with the SAK as i cant justify spending a lot more for little gain :good: ,

ATB,

Pat

[/quot i have to agree with elvis great mod i have a dm 80 3 on my .17 hmr annie hope picture comes out? these are great to strip down as its a bit messy after 50 rounds

post-18637-0-96797000-1323989339.jpg

YOU WILL FIND THAT A cf RIFLE BURNS ABOUT 99.87% OF ITS POWDER SO POWDER RESADUE IS NOT THE ISSUE ON cf MODS, THE ISSUE IS HOT GASSES, IF YOU HAVE RSADUE LIKE THIS IN A CF YOU HAVE ISSUES.

note: REMOVE YOUR MOD AT ALL TIMES AFTER SHOOTING CLEAN YOUR CROWN AND STORE YOUR RIFLES MUZZLE UP.

BOB.

SORRY ON THE CAPS LOCK IM ON THE PHONE.