full bodied or shells to flock or not?

Steve72

Hi All,

I am new to shooting and have just aquired a gun and somewhere to shot, and would like to purchase my own decoys. Do I buy full bodied or shells and do I need flocked?

also is a magnet a must or can I make do with a couple of well placed floaters/bouncers?

Lastly any tips on where to aquire said items at a resonable cost? i live in Dartford Kent.

Get a magnet and a couple of hyper flappers then place dead birds in pattern,this gives good results,although cheapest is shell decoys x 1/2 a dozen,better if flock coated and better if full bodied and better if fuds but nothing beats real birds and nothing pulls em off a flight line like a magnet :good:

Get a magnet and a couple of hyper flappers then place dead birds in pattern,this gives good results,although cheapest is shell decoys x 1/2 a dozen,better if flock coated and better if full bodied and better if fuds but nothing beats real birds and nothing pulls em off a flight line like a magnet :good:

Thanks for the pointers. what are fuds not heard that term before.....still learning

I would buy shell decoys, they are easier to carry and provide a better movement than full bodied decoys.

Flocked if you can afford them, or buy some sillos jackets from UKSW to fit over the shells.

A rotary is a great asset most of the time, I would make that a priority over floater/bouncers.

You can always get someone to buy them for you for Christmas. :)

UKSW who advertise here are reliable suppliers and you also get a PW discount.

flocked deffinitely worth the extra £ and for the peace of mind it gives - if they not coming in at least you know it's not cos the deeks are shiny.

when i first started i was adamant (#stand and delvier#) i was getting full body (as real pigeons have a full body) but since then i have also got some shells, and though i use shells and full body together, if i had to choose i'd go for the shells. if you are getting shells i'd reccomend some wobblers for them to give movement.

FUDs - fold up decoy. they are lightweight decoys, fairly new, becoming popular though still bit pricey i think, especially if just starting out. but do a searach on here, loads on them.

magnet is good at brining them in but equally once in it can make them flare away. decoying really is all about changing things about if not working, and always good to have something else to fall back on.

i've recently got a turbo flapper, not really used it yet but have heard only good things about them so that something else you could look at, cheaper than a magnet but still brings some movement to pattern.

best of luck and just enjoy it.

Edited by BenBhoy

Im no expert but i think that a dozen shells or so on spring sticks with 1/2 a dozen full bodys mixed in for the pattern floaters can be good for funneling them in towards your pattern, a flapper gets there attention and can be very good in certain situations, a rotary works wonders if the pigeon dont know what it is but in some areas they know it means danger and stay well clear :good:

Flocked deeks are all well and good if you can be bothered to clean all the crudd off them after a long day but if you dont look after them they can quickly end up as bog standard non flocked

atb ratty

Edited by Ratsmasher

As has already been said get flocked shell decoys if possible ,easier to transport ,easier to get a bit of movement on with wobblers / spring sticks,12 is a good starting point but more is better when shooting on winter rape ,the best decoy is and always will be a dead bird so replace the decoys with those as you bag some.

you will get divided opinions on rotorys my opinion is they are more troble than they are worth 99% of the time ,I hardly use mine prefering a flapper .

We never use a magnet - a doz unflocked shells on sticks and 2 bouncers usually does the job for us :yes:

I almost always use a magnet. Shot almost 500 in just over a week using one.

Im no expert but i think that a dozen shells or so on spring sticks with 1/2 a dozen full bodys mixed in for the pattern floaters can be good for funneling them in towards your pattern, a flapper gets there attention and can be very good in certain situations, a rotary works wonders if the pigeon dont know what it is but in some areas they know it means danger and stay well clear :good:

Flocked deeks are all well and good if you can be bothered to clean all the crudd off them after a long day but if you dont look after them they can quickly end up as bog standard non flocked

atb ratty

Why are your decoys going to get dirty?!!

Also my flocked shells (good quality ones) have been used and abused for years and almost all of the flocking remains.The only problem i have seen is when you buy cheap **** decoys.

Thanks All for your comments. I think i may go with flocked shells(pack light) and place out the real thing if I have some success, and with Xmas on the horizon I may get a flapper and some FUDs, (now i know what they are).

Is it worth putting out the odd crow or mag decoy?

I almost always use a magnet. Shot almost 500 in just over a week using one.

Why are your decoys going to get dirty?!!

Also my flocked shells (good quality ones) have been used and abused for years and almost all of the flocking remains.The only problem i have seen is when you buy cheap **** decoys.

I just never got round to buying a magnet as I couldn't afford to do it all at one go. If the birds don't decoy then it's first on the 'new kit' list :yes: . I have to admit you get some impressive bags with them, so I can't fault them, but when birds are dropping in nicely I have to ask the question 'do I really need one?'

My deeks get filthy in the muddy rape fields in winter, so I'm glad I got the 'washable' ones :lol: . It was a cost decision initially, but I intended to replace them with flocked as they broke. TBH now I'm happy to stick with the plain ones. Again, if they suddenly don't work I'll look at the more expensive alternatives.

Is it worth putting out the odd crow or mag decoy?

Yes, a small group of crows about 10 yards away from pigeon deeks can pull them in - first bird yesterday was a crow :yes: . Forget about maggies.

I always mix in shells and full bodied, flocked and standard. Total between 20 and 40 pigeon Derek's, then about 12-15 crow, and some magpie too spread out around the edges in a clump or two. Also use a pigeon magnet with flyers, a dove rotary with peckers, a crow rotary with peckers, and some dippers, plus a floater or two, then replace the static Derek's as and when fresh birds can be added.

That way I'm sure to get a pot at almost anything on the vermin scale that flys past.

Edited by Redditch

I always mix in shells and full bodied, flocked and standard. Total between 20 and 40 pigeon Derek's, then about 12-15 crow, and some magpie too spread out around the edges in a clump or two. Also use a pigeon magnet with flyers, a dove rotary with peckers, a crow rotary with peckers, and some dippers, plus a floater or two, then replace the static Derek's as and when fresh birds can be added.

That way I'm sure to get a pot at almost anything on the vermin scale that flys past.

Redditch mate, you either have your own pack horse or you can drive to your hide. :P Most of the places we set up involve a bit of a treck and carrying that lot would kill me. :lol: