Toyota Land Cruiser

docholiday

I used to have one in Australia and they were brilliant, just thinking about changing my Landrover and saw one !7 grand 6 years old and 40,000 miles, as they are 60 grand new thought it might do me nicely, just wondered how people get on with the auto box off road and the 3 Litre diesel claim of 32 mpg?

Edited by docholiday

I have the 3.0 auto D4d LC......excellent bit of kit and will do 30mpg in day to day running. Needs AT tyres for muddy days as the standard tyres are too road bias. A recent toyota recal has highlighted an issue with diesel injectors seals-goods news they are sorting the affected cars for free.

I looked Land Rover and then went for Toyota build quality after seeing discoverys at work drop gearbox with 5k miles on.

very smooth on motorway-recently york-hampshire-york,fully loaded with family and luggage on a smidge over a full tank.

regards

fuddster

I used to have one in Australia and they were brilliant, just thinking about changing my Landrover and saw one !7 grand 6 years old and 40,000 miles, as they are 60 grand new thought it might do me nicely, just wondered how people get on with the auto box off road and the 3 Litre diesel claim of 32 mpg?

Auto is ace off road. You never get that "I want to change gear, but I know that if I hit the clutch I'll stop and never get going again" feeling! A bit more exciting on hill decent as the first gear is a bit longer than a manual box first gear, but otherwise a much better experience all round.

Edited by Tim Kelly

Auto box not a problem in mud as long as you use centre diff lock otherwise the stability control cuts in on a slide. If you can find one with rear diff lock also that would be a real bonus.

32 mpg very optimistic in my opinion, reckon on around 25 with AT tyres and general offroad use. Keeping the AT's over inflated helps with the mpg loss.

Make sure the service history is genuine, oil changes (with correct grade)at the 10k miles essential. 40k (4th year) service should have

included diff oils and is relatively expensive.

Had a Discovery 3 before and although LC is not as comfortable it seems to cope well enough.

I've got the earlier version of the Colorado with the older 3L TD engine. Love it to death, and think it looks nicer than the newer versions. Only get mid twenties out of it though I think even driving like an old woman. I can sometimes get 430-450 miles out of a tank full, which is currently around £110. Lots of town driving, or being in a rush gets it to under 400 miles.

DSC_0863-1.jpg

Edited by Tim Kelly

Agree with Tim i use one as a company car and cost me £105 to fill get 430 if i thrash it or 485 if i am gentle. Had it from new 07 plate LC4 and the only isues has a corroded wiper arm.

Most of my miles are on M Way but pull an ifor Williams twin axle fully laden and it's no problem. Off road it's never got stuck and as Fuddster said, 2nd gear start plus HDC mena sit's unstoppable.

Not as smooth as a Disco 3 in bends etc but then it's not got all the trick electronics that may go wrong and cost big bucks to repair. I love it as a daily drive BUT.....

Be aware that Toyota have a problem with the D4D engine, Injectors seals are faulty on some models, exhaust gases get mixed with the oil, oil gets too thick to be pumped back round through the strainer in the sump, engine goes bang due to oil starvation.

Free recall swaps the seals & strainer. 05-07 seem to be the worst affected to make sure this has been done.