Side by Side or over and under

Ben D

Hi I opened this topic to find out peoples general views on the subject. I have been shooting since I was 10 with a 20ga L.T. Bland. I'm going to get a new 16 hopefully, but I've had some heated discussions on whether to get side by side or over and under.

Thanks in advance for your views!!!

Ben D -

I've not seen many 16b OUs, Ben, in contrast with the availability of 16b SBSs. A quick check on Guntrader shows that there's only five 16b OUs available, two Brownings and three Macnabs. If you're already using a 20g Bland, I'd stick with a SBS.

I've only got one shooting friend that shoots better with an SBS than with an OU. Everyone else swears firmly by OUs. I use a 20b OU for just about everything, but break out the 12b SBS when on driven shoots (easier to load quicker, easier to carry, looks the part).

Out of curiosity though, what can a 16b do that a 20b can't, such is the range of 20b cartridges available?

I think I will stay with side by side, but it has been sugested to me by my friend Giles catchpole to move up to a 16. At the momment i'm going to try out my fathers 16b Side by side.

Thanks for your views!

Ben - :no:

one thing to consider is if you plan on doing much clay pigeon shooting, an advantage with some o/u's is they have a breaker between the top and bottom barrel, stops them getting so hot. obviously not the case on all o/u's at all, but you won't be able to get this with a sbs. not necessarily a decisions maker/breaker but might be something to consider. all the best,

:no:

BM

one thing to consider is if you plan on doing much clay pigeon shooting, an advantage with some o/u's is they have a breaker between the top and bottom barrel, stops them getting so hot. obviously not the case on all o/u's at all, but you won't be able to get this with a sbs. not necessarily a decisions maker/breaker but might be something to consider. all the best,

:good:

BM

Thanks for the advice but I'll be doing mostly game shooting. Something to think about though. I wonder iff those leather gripps might help? :no:

Ben -

I,ve got a BRNO 12g sidelock side by side,had it years and still love it.

Agricultural probably, dependable yes.

I had the stock professionally altered to fit me the chokes opened out to imp cyl and 1/2 & hit almost everything I aim at (woodies mostly) plus the odd driven day (yawn) and will never change it.

It's a style and feeling of well being thing,

if it aint broke don't fix it.

Mind you I did chop and change O/U and S/S about 4 guns before I found this one cost me a staggering £300 in 1986.

Reefman :no::good:

The leather grips do help shield your hands, but they're not great. They're bulky, and the slightest bit of debris that gets trapped between the leather and the lustrous blueing on your barrels causes abrasion marks. They also interfere with the lines of an otherwise very elegant gun.

The leather grips do help shield your hands, but they're not great. They're bulky, and the slightest bit of debris that gets trapped between the leather and the lustrous blueing on your barrels causes abrasion marks. They also interfere with the lines of an otherwise very elegant gun.

I've also heard that you can wear wollen gloves. They apparently keep out the heat very well.

Ben -

I wear a knackered old pair of Dents silk-lined leather shooting gloves when using a SBS. They do the job at insultaing my hands from hot barrels/Norfolk weather, and they don't hinder dexterity. Worth considering - woolen gloves don't give much grip on a stock.

I wear a knackered old pair of Dents silk-lined leather shooting gloves when using a SBS. They do the job at insultaing my hands from hot barrels/Norfolk weather, and they don't hinder dexterity. Worth considering - woolen gloves don't give much grip on a stock.

yeh i've got a pair of my Dad's old leather shooting gloves they do the jod quite well, but Iprefer shooting with no gloves on.

Ben - :welcomeani:

Ben, this month's edition of Shooting Gazette landed on my doormat yesterday, and it's got a good article about the ongoing OU vs SBS debate. Plus another good "Shooting Types" episode by your pal Giles.

Cool I'll ask my dad to send it too me!!!

Thanks alot for your help

Ben -

I'm getting my dads 16b fotted for me tomorro so I'm going to shoot with that for a while. I'll tell you the results later on. It's SxS by the way, a really nice gun I can't believe he's leting me use it.

Ben -

No problems Ben, but you never did answer about the merits of the 16b versus the 20b....

Baldrick, from what I have read it is all to do with the sectional density of the load under pressure going up the barrel. Seemingly there is less friction on the load in a 16g than there is in a 20g leading to less percieved recoil.

Ft

Yep, I think you're right on the perceived recoil. The very slightly increased weight of a 16b when compared to a 20b (taking ostnsibly the same model of gun) must contribute something towards the decreased recoil though?

Baldrick, My beretta 20g weighed 6 1/4 lbs, I have handled a 16g's of the same weight, and less (the less being a Darne) and I must say that the 16 is a really sweet shooting gun and seemingly copes better with 1oz loads than a 20g. It is all feel though from my point of veiw. The ballistics boys on the site could probably give you a far better description of why this "square load" is considered by many to be the ideal, but unfashionable, gun. Being a bear of very little brain, my previous post used up what little knowledge I have on the subject, sorry.

There are however, many fewer cartridge loads for a 16g than for a 20g, which can be a handicap. I loved my 20g.

Ft